Author Topic: Courser: Is it worth using?  (Read 2774 times)

Offline Cris

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Cris, Cris, TestSubject
  • IRC nick: Cris
Re: Courser: Is it worth using?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 11:47:40 pm »
I love courser.

Loomed x2 or x3 imo is best.

Courser is the only horse that people might not hear quickly enough for them to react to a backstab if they arent paying attention.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline bonekuukkeli

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Xawi_von_Perkele
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 12:48:09 am »
Good horse but I don't like it. I like arabian for good maneuver. Suits my playstyle better. I often find myself in trouble with train-like courser.

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 12:48:58 am »
Leed and Torben both use champion coursers... Coursers are definately worth it

To elaborate.

Coursers are not so much designed for cavalry combat as they are striking infantry, both forementioned players know this and if given the choice will usually attack engaged infantry over cavalry.
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 01:22:46 am »
champ courser, you will love that speed!!!!! uberfastfuncouchbeforeenemywillfiguroutwhathappened!!!!!!

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 05:50:18 pm »
Don't use a Courser. It's maneuver is crap. You'll spend 80% of your time trying to figure out how to take enemies by surprise rather than actually killing them (that is, by surprise or not). You'll have an hard time killing any aware infantry/ranged with more than 2 athletics. And the worst thing you could do is to try the Arab. Especially when loomed, you will get used to the superior maneuver in no time and be totally helpless when using other horses. It's a bit like if you were supposed to hit scooter, had a family wagon and suddenly be thrown and have to pilot a 60T truck. I'm serious. The freedom of high maneuver is a drug.

Go rouncey, destrier, cataphract or mamluk.
Y U NO SUGGESTED WARHORSES :O

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 06:07:53 pm »
+1
Coursers are not so much designed for cavalry combat as they are backstabbing peasants and idle infantry at spawn.

Corrected.

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 07:28:44 pm »
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 10:58:35 pm »
courser compensates my 5 ps

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 12:55:20 am »
Ah you're right.

Proper grammar isn't my first priority when under ze booze.  :P
I might've failed the title again, but I don't care. :D

Just thinking because I might roll my good old 18/18 lancer polearmer guy to boom 'n zoom a little bit.

Personally I like the courser for only one reason, it's the best when you have to worry about other cavalry.  It's nice for infantry/ground troops only because sometimes by the time they notice me and my lance thrusting it's too late for them to do anything.  Lots of times I've hit an archer before he could release an arrow due to the speed, or even more so, they only get one shot off before I'm in their face. 

I personally like the speed and prefer to "try not to get hit" by projectiles, and I try not to ride into groups of enemies who are aware of me and have long pointy sticks.  It's basically a "hit and run" or pick off the weak links along the outskirts, type of horse.

I still really like the destrier when going up against ground troops, and if you get a champion destrier they are really nice.  But spirited coursers are 47 speed (which I have) and champion coursers are 48 speed I believe.  I have 110hp on my horse, vs the 100 on the normal courser.  It's only 10 less than the destrier I believe (the spirited).  Still, the main reason I like my courser is because I don't like to worry about other cavalry being able to outrun me.  Even though I generally try not to engage other cavalry unless it's needed, I usually end up doing it more than I should. 

Also, 18/18 is my favorite build for cavalry at level 30 (if you're using a courser, if not, then only go 15 agility). 

This is what I will have for skills (after converting 2 to attributes):

2 Iron flesh
6 power strike
4 shield
5 athletics
6 riding
6 weapon master

P.S. This only gives me 60 hp I believe, at 15 strength and 5 iron flesh I was at 63 hp I believe.   But at 15/18 build I was able to max out the skills above, now I want 6 power strike.

Leed and Torben both use champion coursers... Coursers are definately worth it

To elaborate.

Coursers are not so much designed for cavalry combat as they are striking infantry, both forementioned players know this and if given the choice will usually attack engaged infantry over cavalry.

I think coursers best use is for anti-cavalry due to the speed.  Although I think most cavalry is best used when flanking infantry who are fighting your own infantry.  Attacking other cavalry should mainly be used as a deterrent for them coming at your ground troops, and you mainly should be trying to dismount them, not necessarily trying to kill them (depends on the situation of course).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:58:03 am by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 01:11:57 am »
Lorenzo got it right.

2 cav of same skill engaging each other  from an equal favorable position,  one arab,  one courser,  the arab has an edge due to higher maneuver and acceleration.

vs infantry,  they are both equally usefull, with different approaches ofc.

In the end the courser can take a few more shots,  and i use it because of them HAs,  the arab gives you the chance of a more direct approach,  which can be more fun than high speed battlefield surfing,  diving in and out of unseen angles.

I would say they are well balanced and a thing of personal preference or restriction by your build
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 01:17:50 am »
I still disagree, I'm usually traveling at top speed and arabian's may be able to out-turn me, but they can never catch me.  And it's not like this is WWII, unless they are horse archers (which I'm not worried about engaging head to head), they don't have machine guns that can shoot me when they get behind me, they still need to catch up to me. 

When I'm lower levels and can only ride a saddle horse or palfrey I try to make sure I never over-extend myself where a courser can chase me down before I can get back to my friendly ground troops.  I never worry about an arabian war horse (more than any other horse), but obviously I recognize not to get into a turning match with them.

And on a courser you can just slow down to turn faster.  Not to mention I would never want to have 21 agility, I'd be really hurting in other areas, and would basically be restricted to cavalry (instead of being able to hybrid). 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:20:15 am by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 08:06:35 am »
And the worst thing you could do is to try the Arab. Especially when loomed, you will get used to the superior maneuver in no time and be totally helpless when using other horses.  The freedom of high maneuver is a drug.

This. I didn't have enough riding for a long time for my champ arab.. but now.. oh god I've relapsed. With its maneveur/acceleration if someone is chasing me I can do a turn and charge into them before they're able to even release their lance. It's beautiful.

And @crazycracka you can hybrid perfectly fine with 21 agi. Not sure where you're coming from there.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 08:21:34 am »
@crazy  thing is,  you dont wanna run from them,  you wanna fight them.  or what is this about?
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!