Author Topic: Game of Thrones is close to good, but still to gay.  (Read 693 times)

Offline Cathaoir

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • Quit raging about rageball.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Cathaoir
  • IRC nick: Cathaoir
Game of Thrones is close to good, but still to gay.
« on: January 20, 2012, 03:03:54 pm »
I had a girl who plays second life and watches glee tell me shes read all those,
the little short fights attempt to look good, but its 90% talking then mad dashes at each other are inbetween more talking.
I know, Its because im an emotion-less asshole, and that "talking" is actually a dramatic emotional appeal to human character im devoid of.

But In reality im sure alot of us are like that here,
and this is the book for us:
"The Last kingdom: Saxon Series" -Cowell

"Forward now. Forward to slaughter. Beware the man who LOVES battle. Ravn told me one man in three or perhaps four is a warrior, the rest reluctant fighters. But only one man in twenty was a lover of battle. Such men were the most dangerous, the most skillfull, and the ones who reaped the souls. The ones to fear"
(for every 3 guys at least 1 is addicted to a war game, every 20 on that game 1 is a legend like the many c-rpg has)

---COMBAT---
"(The sheild walls clashed, then it kicked in) It is a wondrous thing, that battle calm. The nerves go, the fear wings off into the void, all is clear like precious crystal and the enemy has no chance because he seems slow. I swept the shield left, taking the scar-faced man's spear thrust as I lunged wasp-sting foward and the Dane ran into her point. I felt the impact run up my arm as I punctured his stomach muscles, and I was already twisting. Ripping her up and free, Sawing through leather, skin, and guts, his blood warm on my cold hand. He screamed, ale breathe in my face and I punched him down with the shield boss, stamped down on his groin, and his finished him with wasp-stings tip through the neck."

The series is about the Danish (Viking) Invasion of England around 10th century. Everything in the background is accurate, but he creates everything around that. He started this series by creating a character (himself) in his families castle. Putting himself in real battles, and creating some when hes on his own with his war-band.

Again, its one of the more hardcore. So there is alot of detailed murdering of monks, vicious dismemberments.and raping of women
 ("Walking through (our city captured, in disguise) I could hear in almost every house the screaming of the women. I had to remind myself if this were a Danish settlement we'd be doing the same to their women to calm me.")
It's not the size of the stick that matters, but who's swinging it.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
Re: Game of Thrones is close to good, but still to gay.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 05:57:11 pm »
Yes, its a very good series, like most Books from him.Still, Song of ice and fire is as good or eeven better in its own way.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Cathaoir

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • Quit raging about rageball.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Cathaoir
  • IRC nick: Cathaoir
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 11:33:32 pm »
Yes, its a very good series, like most Books from him.Still, Song of ice and fire is as good or eeven better in its own way.

Unfortuantely I cannot do magic for more then 10 seconds, so I have no idea how good or bad the author or book is.
I was just stating I perfer my adjetives to be about how deep the blood pit is in the shield wall, perferred to magic, blood-fued drama, etc etc.
That was for the politician religion-puppets in the halls and on royal courts.
It's not the size of the stick that matters, but who's swinging it.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 01:27:54 am »
sounds shit. i'll stick to books with depth which you obviously have no conception of.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 02:55:06 am »
I'm a long time cornwell fan and must say that series is good. But if you want more character development as well as vivid battle descriptions then cornwells  Arthur(warlord) series is the way to go. Its by far the best series of books bar maybe the sharpe (fanboy here) series. But its also the most realistic and imaginable pieces of arthurian legen fiction out there.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:00:33 am by Overdriven »

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 01:16:25 pm »
The Arthur legend series is pretty epic and i Love the saxon series. The books are not just about fighting as the OP seems to show though :D

Also Azincourt is a pretty damn epic book of his. Im reading his grail series atm and it too is great. The battle of Crechy is very well written.
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 02:20:56 pm »
Ah I forgot about Stonehenge. I've read that book through tons of times  :D