• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
Re: Pikes
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 11:08:11 am »
Is it still possible to go through wall with Pikes?

I saw Xeen doing it a few times, but it's a little wonky.  I think it's cheap, though.

Offline Malke

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 11:12:00 am »
+1
I LOVE MY LONGSPEAR!

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 11:21:21 am »
Is it still possible to go through wall with Pikes?

Most definitely. Gotten a few kills with this trick. :P (Longspear can do it too btw, though not as easily)

I really don't see any way for them to fix this without totally fucking up the pike though, and it really isn't difficult to counter as long as you know it's possible. Only really 3 ways of doing it: hug a thin wall and stab through, start above the wall and wiggle down, or start beside the edge of the wall and wiggle left/right.

EDIT: I like how we can get this much discussion when all the OP did was name the topic "Pikes" and post a frowny face.  :lol:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:24:05 am by Zerran »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 11:27:16 am »
You can still decently stab "through" teammates and thin walls if you manage to release your attack on the side/over them, and move your pike towards the center when you think the active attack point is beyond the obstacle. So you have to time it well to move inwards when your stab is at it's maximum extension.

However, I don't think stabbing directly through teammates and obstacles is possible anymore. The active point starts very close to you when you release the animation, so you'll end up stabbing the wall even if you hug it.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 11:29:38 am »
Well then shit is still broken, fix plox

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 11:29:52 am »
You can still decently stab "through" teammates and thin walls if you manage to release your attack on the side/over them, and move your pike towards the center when you think the active attack point is beyond the obstacle. So you have to time it well to move inwards when your stab is at it's maximum extension.

However, I don't think stabbing directly through teammates and obstacles is possible anymore. The active point starts very close to you when you release the animation, so you'll end up stabbing the wall even if you hug it.

This.  Basically, there's a good part of the pike's shaft that doesn't have any interaction with any part of the world (silly, isn't it), and so it just kinda phases through things. 

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • Its almost harvesting season.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Gazda_the_Swine
  • IRC nick: gazda
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 11:36:31 am »
why isnt it pike and long pike, instead of long spear and pike
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 06:02:24 pm »
I knew about the through walls thing but I always thought it was against the rules. Pikes are scary support weapons.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 06:03:35 pm »
Pikes are fine. Before every polearm user brought a pike on the battlefield having its main axe/something on the back. Now you have to be piker or not.

They are not fine, they still have the wiggle and stab through teammates and kill me
Just a soldier

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 06:11:24 pm »
I'm not really a piker or long spear'er...that being said, they should only be 2 slots, and you should be able to overhead swing with them. 

The pike/long spear nerf of a month or two ago has really caused a spike in the amount of people on horseback.  And you've probably all heard calls to "nerf cavalry" instead of addressing the real problem, the pike/long spear nerfs that caused the spike in cavalry.

I see more pikes now than I have done for a long time and at one point it used to just be craftybadger who was a regular with the pike. There are also a hell of a lot of ashwood pike users and other spear + shield users atm. There's plenty of anti cav around. I think the problem would lie in that a lot of pikers concentrate on using them to support in melee, rather than focusing on cav.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 06:12:31 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 06:32:51 pm »
I see more pikes now than I have done for a long time and at one point it used to just be craftybadger who was a regular with the pike. There are also a hell of a lot of ashwood pike users and other spear + shield users atm. There's plenty of anti cav around. I think the problem would lie in that a lot of pikers concentrate on using them to support in melee, rather than focusing on cav.

Well, "focusing" on cav is a hard job. You can't decide when the combat will actually happen. And staying there looking them in the eyes tends to repulse the cav, making the anticav job less effective (because it is only really effective when you kill the cav). Being in an inf group and representing a latent threat for any cav attacker already works.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 06:42:09 pm »
Cavalry basically only comes near the mass if they think a nearby polearm user isn't paying attention.
And how!