Poll

Should Crushthrough be completely removed?

Yes
38 (20.2%)
No
150 (79.8%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Author Topic: Vote No on Crushthrough (petition to remove crushthrough  (Read 4465 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1928
  • Infamy: 2768
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Vote No on Crushthrough (petition to remove crushthrough
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2012, 02:30:07 am »
I'll duel you for money once okiN start taking bets. Actually I'll you both of you and that Garison dude, for the same reason.

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2012, 02:32:24 am »
My signature never fails on these cases.

Didn't I see you running around with a great maul the other day on siege? Lobby much, koldborn?  :)

(click to show/hide)

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2012, 02:58:49 am »
Didn't I see you running around with a great maul the other day on siege? Lobby much, koldborn?  :)

(click to show/hide)

Perhaps, the same way you might have seen me with any other specc this game allows along my main 20 gens and 6 alt gens. I like to know the stuff before talking about it.  :wink:

Also, don't need to lobby, it's constant the nerfhammer on mauls, enough to render the pole maul obsolete.

These mechanics exist for a reason, not that hard to think a bit about it and realize which one.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2012, 03:01:23 am »
Actually I'll you both of you and that Gurnisson dude

Bring it on! :lol:
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2166
  • Infamy: 2785
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2012, 03:06:02 am »
Well I'll duel your as well once whole betting thing starts, why not. Although I think that weapon you use on your main is immensely gay :P

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2012, 03:15:04 am »
These mechanics exist for a reason, not that hard to think a bit about it and realize which one.

Again, I agree with you, I use the great maul from time to time as well, people need to stop whining about every little thing and just learn to deal with it. I just couldn't resist the opportunity to call you out on a post supporting your (current) weapon. Oh and just 6 alts? Talk to me when you have 17 and we'll be on the same page  :P.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2012, 03:17:26 am »
Although I think that weapon you use on your main is immensely gay :P

Which one(s)? :mrgreen:

As for mauls. They're mostly balanced but shit gets out of hand in some siege maps where you can only use like 3 ladders (now that personal ladders are gone). Always two maulers at each ladder which makes the defender's job pretty much impossible. Don't remember the names of those castle though.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline karasu

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2012, 03:57:06 am »
Again, I agree with you, I use the great maul from time to time as well, people need to stop whining about every little thing and just learn to deal with it. I just couldn't resist the opportunity to call you out on a post supporting your (current) weapon. Oh and just 6 alts? Talk to me when you have 17 and we'll be on the same page  :P.

Tell me when you get 20 gens on your main, switching specc every new one, and we'll be on the same page :P.

Offline karasu

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2012, 01:59:52 pm »
This isn't a contest of who is more Lifeless then the other.

Only mentioned that to corroborate my previous statements.

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2012, 02:26:28 pm »
Don't remove crushthrough, I am having extremely big fun dueling people who use those toys with my 13 athletics character.

Never seen any of them whine about me... strange. Usually they attempt to swing overhead, I step back, before they end their animation, I step in and hit them once or twice. Rinse and repeat till they are dead or till someone kills me before I can kill my target.

Offline karasu

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2012, 03:26:20 pm »
People tend to whine about certain mechanics/items when they see 1 or 2 members doing well with it. It's completely natural and god help us if the item balancing team / developers listen to those desperate cries.

It's amazingly easy to disable a mauler, but seems easier to whine about it on forums.  :oops:

I can leave a couple of tips here for those having an hard time:

1 - NEVER try to stab a mauler. The block stun will mock at you and you're dead.

2 - AVOID at all costs doing obvious overheads, for the same reason stated above.

3 - KICK ability is priceless versus a rushing overhead mauler if you don't have the time to hit him first.

4 - BLOCK (or CHAMBER if you're comfortable with this mechanic) those side swings, with concise hold blocks, the side swing animation of the maul induces in error, since it's slow, and connects weirdly, resulting most of the times in a knockdown.

5 - RUN from a mauler when he's surrounded by YOUR team mates. This is a TH nest situation and the way overheads connect on the mauler are deadly. If he knows how to time and turn properly while spamming overheads, you don't want to be near.

6 - USE polestagger ability if possible, either yours, or a team mate.

7 - SHIELDERS hide your shield on the back if 1 on 1 a mauler. The shield won't help at all, and only make you slower.

Another good observation is that the deadliest maulers, are the ones in medium (loomed if possible) gear, who don't have to rely on glancing hits from enemies while spamming away. A good combo of speed + PS is priceless.

Hope this helps in anyway,
Cheers

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1228
  • Infamy: 2994
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2012, 03:38:16 pm »
I just love being schooled by worse players than myself :D

Offline Aleta

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • Game nicks: Aleta, Diavolo
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2012, 04:09:17 pm »
People tend to whine about certain mechanics/items when they see 1 or 2 members doing well with it. It's completely natural and god help us if the item balancing team / developers listen to those desperate cries.

It's amazingly easy to disable a mauler, but seems easier to whine about it on forums.  :oops:

I can leave a couple of tips here for those having an hard time:
(click to show/hide)
Another good observation is that the deadliest maulers, are the ones in medium (loomed if possible) gear, who don't have to rely on glancing hits from enemies while spamming away. A good combo of speed + PS is priceless.

Hope this helps in anyway,
Cheers

So, the way to win over a mauler is:
  • Don't try to fight him rather run.
  • Have a long polearm and keep spamming.
  • If you are 2hand or 1hander, attempt a kamikaze-kick and hope that it works. (if not you're dead anyway)

I wouldn't exactly say that this is amazingly easy. It's obvious that a uber high athletics character can win easily against someone with a maul, but a most people either have more than 12 strength or aren't that high level. I'm not saying remove crushthrough though, I think it's a great addition to the game. Actually if we want the game to be realistic, all weapons should have a chance for crushthrough, but the "chance" being a bit lower and based on weapon weight. (the difference in the blockers and the attackers weapons' weight should determine the chance for crushthrough, in addition to the difference in the 2 people's strength). It seems realistic to me that a small weak person trying to block an overhead strike from an uber strong viking with a giant axe with a butter knife, might fail at doing so, breaking his own arm in the attempt and getting the axe right in his face.

Offline karasu

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2012, 05:03:41 pm »
Like I said, " a couple of tips ", no the whole "how to deal with maulers, for noobs!".

It's up for any of you to do what you want with those tips, ask for more, criticize, etc.

@ Aleta,

Don't fall into the error of thinking that it's easier with high ATH chars to deal with maulers, the bigger the speed, lesser the damage, bigger the chance to use proper footwork + speed bonus, and bigger the "bounce/wiff" factor on the target. It's all very complex and specially, very situational, and it's it's obvious that more casual players might have an hard time dealing with this, but on the bright side, casual maulers are terrible anyway.

Offline karasu

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2012, 06:14:23 pm »
Never try to stab a mauler? My favorite weapon is the long spear and the ashwood pike, and I beat 8/10 maulers by stabbing, lol.

Like I said, bad maulers will act as one.  :lol:

I have 0 problems with the maul dealing with any sort of pikers. Specially awlpikers. But the stab stun is a death sentence.

The tips I gave are mostly in a 1 on 1 situation. Ofc you can stab'em if they're not looking at you.