Poll

Do you generally approve of the ranged nerf in the latest patch?

Yes, ranged balance is definitely improved by the patch and it needs slight or no changes from this point.
40 (30.1%)
No; either this nerf is wrong or it needs to be reworked significantly for balance.
81 (60.9%)
PIPE!
12 (9%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author Topic: Poll: Ranged Nerf in Last Patch  (Read 2146 times)

Offline dontgothere

• Count
  • Renown: 295
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DONT_GO_THERE, ARTIEstrongestmanINTHEWORLD, WHERES_MY_CHIPPY, PINGAS, derpyhooves, George_Costanza
Poll: Ranged Nerf in Last Patch
« on: January 18, 2012, 05:30:05 am »
Hi!  We've got another thread going on this subject, and it makes sense to confine discussion/debate/suggestions to that one. Chime in at http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,23853.0.html   You'll find my own arguments and my suggestions for alternative nerfs on page 2.

For those who don't know, basically the change means that headshots do more damage, but body shots do significantly less. For example, a masterwork Arbalest or balanced jarids with maxed powerthrow can now no longer one-shot armorless peasants with low HP.  Additionally, high-level, plated enemies are now basically useless to engage, even with high-tier ranged weapons like the arbalest, longbow and jarids.

Notably, these nerfs were applied as a blanket tweak to all ranged weapons, regardless of the fact that xbows, bows and throwing weapons all involve different styles of play and tactics for success. As it is now, post-patch, Xbows are useless unless you headshot, due to their long reloading time. Only low-damage, low-difficulty, fast-firing bows are truly viable, due to their increased chance of headshots. Throwing weapons become unplayable due to their low ammunition amount and their relatively large reticule, and with the lowered damage it takes about half of a full loadout of jarids just to kill one reasonably armored enemy, lulzily making throwing stones a more effective weapon than throwing spears.

This new thread exists only to have a simple yes/no poll to get a clear picture of how many players are opposed to or in support of the nerf to ranged damage in the last patch. I think it makes more sense to keep the discussion to the thread that's already in progress, linked at the top of this post, so this is the last I'll speak up here unless, of course, everyone ignores that.  :P  If the other thread had a poll, I would not have started this one.

Offline dontgothere

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DONT_GO_THERE, ARTIEstrongestmanINTHEWORLD, WHERES_MY_CHIPPY, PINGAS, derpyhooves, George_Costanza
Re: Poll: Ranged Nerf in Last Patch
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:50:18 am »
sorry but, for the lulz:

10 powerthrow, balanced jarids (77p damage)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 11:44:38 am »
+4
your playing rageball in that pic. and in rageball your health regens. if your going to show SS at least show battle :P
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline dontgothere

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 03:29:12 pm »
shit, you're right, didn't know that rageball has health regen :o
my bad  :\

I don't think it regened in the time I took those pics but I can't be sure, so you're right this one don't count.

Nevertheless, 5-7 jarids for heavy plate + high IF is consistent with my experience since the nerf, and some quick math.  i'll try to cap and post a pic from siege or battle later, if I can find a willing victim.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 03:35:37 pm »
Toldcha bro, your shit was waaack.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 05:13:56 pm »
I don't think it regened in the time I took those pics

4-ish Hit Points a second, the regen is pretty fast.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 07:24:13 pm »
+1
sorry but, for the lulz:

10 powerthrow, balanced jarids (77p damage)

(click to show/hide)

Very bad attempt at trying to cut off that it's rageball.

Try harder next time.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 10:34:17 pm »
Very bad attempt at trying to cut off that it's rageball.

Try harder next time.

Very bad that you can't read, he said he didn't know rageball has health regen

Try reading harder next time.

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 09:25:50 am »
+3
This was a very shortsighted update that was thrown in before anyone could really stop and think about it.

The expensive, high-tier bows have been replaced with cheap, crappy, bows with greater rate of fire. If more headshots are happening, it's largely based on the overall increase in arrow spam. Surely this was not the desired result?

Masterwork Arbalest with Masterwork Steel Bolts (100 pierce damage before considering range, weather, etc) now requires multiple hits to a person in simple peasant gear. 2 shots just to kill a peasant with the slowest weapon in the game, and I only get 13 bolts.

Horse Archery is broken.

Throwing is broken. Again.

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 11:12:23 am »
+1
The most expensive ranged weapons and ammo should 1hit peoply in lowarmor if they are mw. u can 1 hit every lowarmor with unloomed swords and enough ps.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 11:18:20 am »
Since the update I don't even bother to worry about ranged, even in lamellar. Prepatch I really had to avoid being in the firing zone, now it really doesn't matter. Used to be 1 body hit even from a weaker hit would take half my health, sometimes more. Now it's maybe 15-20% at most, so getting hit 1-2 times is no big deal. As nice as it is to be able to focus on melee, the sense of danger has really dropped.  :|

The most expensive ranged weapons and ammo should 1hit peoply in lowarmor if they are mw. u can 1 hit every lowarmor with unloomed swords and enough ps.

This would not be good, however. Opposite end of the spectrum is just as bad. getting killed in 2 hits is fine, 1 hit is BAD. With a sword you have to get right up next to your opponent to kill them, at which range anyone can defend against it. No defence against an arrow without a shield. The balance was great pre-patch. Ranged hurt enough to be dangerous, but not so much that they couldn't be beaten with a bit of intelligence. (I assume by light armor you mean in the 30s, less than that I wouldn't even call armor) Also like to mention 1 shotting anyone wearing something higher than gambeson is difficult even with a 2 hander, unless they have a ton of PS.

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 12:34:23 pm »

Nah, that way ranged would be totally overpowered. We still have the advantage of fighting from distance.

But at least peasants and very light armoured people should die with one shot.

In my opinion a nerf was fine, but the way the nerf was done is too much. Less reduction would be a good idea

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 12:44:20 pm »
+2
Ranged is a joke now, just like CRPG players wanted and yet there are still threads calling for more nerfs and people posting the 3 or 4 archers who have been playing since beta who can push out a decent score.

This mod is balanced around whine, the harder people whine the more likely a nerf to a different class will happen. CRPG will never be balanced because CRPG has next to no beta testers just young competitive people who will try to lobby every advantage they can get.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 12:47:34 pm »
The way I see it archery now has a higher skill requirement to be decent.

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 02:18:14 pm »
+1
Vibe, I don't think you're considering builds beyond walking bowmen, or the balance between the different kinds of bows. As a crossbowman, I admit to not knowing the intricacies of which bow to use when. Crossbowmen build around a specific crossbow and never need to switch. What I do know is that, if a patch made the Arbalest absolute trash and the Hunting Crossbow suddenly became the very best crossbow to use, something would clearly be imbalanced.

The game should be balanced around the average players, not the top players.