Author Topic: Advice on Respec to Lv32 or 33 Shielder?  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Advice on Respec to Lv32 or 33 Shielder?
« on: January 17, 2012, 05:21:51 pm »
As much as it physically pains me, I think I'm going to respec away from Archer, which is a shame.

So far I have been having such great fun with my current shielder:
(click to show/hide)
... That I have decided to respec into shielder (or at least, 80% chance that I will)

I'm having a hard time deciding between these two builds, any thoughts?
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
Re: Advice on Respec to Lv32 or 33 Shielder?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 05:59:04 pm »
+1
Since you basically know how to avoid old «danger arrows», new «safety» arrows is a joke...
And there are not too much counters for fast crushthrower...

(click to show/hide)

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 06:08:54 pm »
+1
Level 32
Strength: 21
Agility: 18
Hit Points: 64

7 Power Strike
4 Iron Flesh
6 Shield
6 Athletics
6 Weapon Master

157 1H WPF
Defineatly this build, loads of fun, you are even agile enough to use a huscarl, and hard hitting enough to use the long 1h cutting swords. I was intending to go lvl 33 with this build (basicaly the same as yours just with the addition of 7 if) but i decided to go cav since alot of the bandits are rolling cav these days.
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 09:20:24 pm »
Tears you not admin anymore?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 09:23:26 pm »
Tears you not admin anymore?

No I am not, thank God.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Arkonor

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arkonor
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 09:41:21 pm »
+1
As much as it physically pains me, I think I'm going to respec away from Archer, which is a shame.

(click to show/hide)
... That I have decided to respec into shielder (or at least, 80% chance that I will)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Do not take crossbow as support with 1h+shield. I have been testing it with a 2h build and always come to the same conclusion -> That my role as an infantry does benefit the group more then shooting pretty low damaged bolts with much inaccuracy across the map.

Also think of scenarios where you would want the Crossbow. They don't really exist other then shooting horses heads if there is some kind of chaos on the field.

Also as a 1h+shield you really do want all of your point in 1h wpf. If you don't you are giving away a pretty big part of what makes 1h+shield so strong (swingspeed).

Crossbow on your back would also slow you even more down. And you do want to be able to do some good footwork. At most I would take a spear with me with 0 wpf to cover the charge that you could throw away later in the fight.

1h+shield+thrower is somewhat useful. But I found out the best way to do that is to go 3 slots of throwing weapons and just pick something up on the way. This would make your build pretty spread out also. You could just as well go dedicated thrower then. You actually might love that though since you were an archer. Thrower with a shield and heavy throwing axes + some wpf in 1h swings is really fun.

I'm the king of respecs btw. If admins would go over my respecs and look over my delete history their jaw would hit the ground :)

Example : I have played over 800 hours of c-rpg and I have 0 heirlooms atm.

I have tried every jack of all trades builds I could think of and found out that diversity is just bad if you have to split up your wpf. Only class that can do that is a thrower. I have probably made about 20 throwers also and they are fun. I always pick a gear find out how much wpf I need to have 13*throwingskill in real wpf and put the rest in support weapon. Shield btw is useful as a thrower. You also need to learn to pick places to fight as a thrower at. So your missed "shots" will be easily looted. Don't throw your axes cross map :D

Anyways : Wish you luck with your respec and hope my input will help you decide.
You have at least helped me SO! much with your guides. I remember how much I loved your guide when I was new and your really hot avatars :D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:15:49 pm by Arkonor »

Offline Boerenlater

• Marshall
  • Renown: 728
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player
  • Jebem ti život!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boerenlater
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 09:43:17 pm »
Do a lancer on horse
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 09:54:43 pm »
+1
I am currently running these two builds on Rhaelys with a War Spear and a Plate Covered Round Shield, with points in Polearm instead of 1H.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Quote from: Uumdi
sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
Quote from: Uumdi
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 12:25:11 pm »
+1

(click to show/hide)

Balanced Pure Shielder
Level 32
Agility: 18
Hit Points: 64

7 Power Strike
4 Iron Flesh
6 Shield
6 Athletics
6 Weapon Master

157 1H WPF

Definatly this build for pure 1h/shield footman.

BUT, if you want some real versatility, use my level 32 build:

Agility: 15
Hit points: 70
Unused skill points: 1
Attributes to skills: 1
Ironflesh: 7
Power Strike: 7
Shield: 5
Athletics: 5
Riding: 5
Weapon Master: 5
One Handed: 149

5 Riding is enough to use a destrier/warhorse and those are the horses you want to be using as a 1h/cav player. You can also use a sumpter for transportation if you want, but this build works extremely well in every terrain. With a lot of buildings/hills, you can just dismount and go on foot. Open maps leave you with some nice cavalry action.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Arkonor

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arkonor
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 12:57:36 pm »
+1
Definatly this build for pure 1h/shield footman.

BUT, if you want some real versatility, use my level 32 build:

Agility: 15
Hit points: 70
Unused skill points: 1
Attributes to skills: 1
Ironflesh: 7
Power Strike: 7
Shield: 5
Athletics: 5
Riding: 5
Weapon Master: 5
One Handed: 149

5 Riding is enough to use a destrier/warhorse and those are the horses you want to be using as a 1h/cav player. You can also use a sumpter for transportation if you want, but this build works extremely well in every terrain. With a lot of buildings/hills, you can just dismount and go on foot. Open maps leave you with some nice cavalry action.

Not to mention steal those warhorses when their riders die :P But it limits your options of 1h weapons a bit. 70 reach and under is extremely hard to use effectively from a mount.

Offline Khorup

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Royal Beer Association
  • Game nicks: RBA_Kahnis
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 02:51:14 pm »
+1
I am currently using a 24/15build:

8 Powerstrike
5 Shield
5 Athletics
5 WPF
Ironfless is not needed, since you have a lovely shield to protect you :P

I used a 21/18 before, but I think the extra powerstrike really makes all of the diffrences.

I use the Huscarlshield, and I move quite fast and can still feinth very fast with my Long Espada.

For a lvl 31+ shielder, I would pump more skill points into powerstrike for more damage, since I havent had any troubles with my speed, or shield  breaking issues(Only vs axemen)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:57:19 pm by Khorup »

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 08:17:08 pm »
+1
Note: I'm not exactly the best 1h out there, so take what I say with a grain of salt (I've played 3 gens of 1h, and I still find it harder than 2h / polearms).

(click to show/hide)

The extra WPF doesn't gain you much swing speed, but it should reduce upkeep costs (which is nice if you like to carry two weapons). It will also substantially increase damage vs players with little to no armor. Some or all of those points can just as easily be sunk into IF or shield.

Going up to 8 PS will only increase your average damage output vs 50 body armor by 2.5 points (from 18.5 to 21 damage for a +3 mil. cleaver). That drops to 2 extra points of damage vs 60 armor. That being said, I'm not sure if a max speed bonus hit at 6 PS and 8 ath does more damage than a max speed bonus hit at 8 PS and 6 ath. I'm also not certain how much damage 2 extra PS would gain when hitting the head (which is fairly easy with 1h).

With 8 ath, you will have amazing footwork options. You will be able to score a much larger speed bonus on your hits (which seems to be a better source for extra damage on 1h, at least AFAICT). Fights vs multiple opponents will become easier. In group combat, you will be able to quickly dance in, score a hit on an unsuspecting opponent, and dance out. The only thing you really have to watch for is the fact that speed bonus works both ways - if you run face-first into a swinging nodachi, you stand a good chance of dying in a single hit.

Edit:
Apparently, even with the updated armor values for cut/pierce/blunt, the damage calculator was not producing accurate values until recently. It looks like 1h benefits more from PS than I thought. I still prefer having the agility, though.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:08:48 pm by Vodner »