Author Topic: Rageball  (Read 38977 times)

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
Re: Rageball
« Reply #330 on: February 13, 2012, 06:21:01 pm »
I played rageball for first time last night it was REALLY good I will definitely be back there regularly.

I also don't think anything is unbalanced. Weapons have different roles and can be countered by other loadouts. I definitely don't think killing should be removed, you may as well just be playing EA FIFA or NHL game if you're not going to twist the rules in this fantasy sport.

If you remove killing then you will remove variety, and the game will be dominated by people who wear zero armour and just stack up AGI and you can change the name from rageball to tagball cuz it will be more like soccer than warband sport.

Right now a few super AGI players on a team can be useful for retrieving loose balls and harassing carrier who are not protected well, but they are countered by solid formations, or archers/throwers

One thing that could be considered is a carry timer, of say 5-10 seconds? This would add more skill to ball control. Every 10 seconds you gotta drop ball and pick it up, the equivelent to dribbling in basketball. Or you could even make it so they same person has to wait 5 seconds to pick it up. This  would force passing.

Overall tho really good. The only thing admins should be doing is banning people who purposefully sabotage games (scoring own goals, running ball the opposite direction) or leechers who are not participating and thus also sabotaging their team.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #331 on: February 13, 2012, 06:27:30 pm »
Is it possible to implement a new weapon that causes people to drop the ball but doesn't cause damage, then ban all other melee weapons. This would stop people the random people who are just joining the server and dueling in the corner, which in this mod is basically leeching.

This would make the game incredibly BORING.  This is RAGEBALL!!!!  This is what makes RAGEBALL great:

If the enemy has the ball, HIT HIM so he drops it.  Then, KILL HIM so he can't get it again.

If an enemy is near the ball, SLAUGHTER HIM.
If an enemy is open for a pass, especially near the goal area, MURDER HIM.
If your team is advancing with the ball and the enemy is near their goal defending, GUT HIM.
If you happen to be near an enemy that doesn't have the ball but is moving around trying to gain an advantageous field position STRIKE HIM AGAIN AND AGAIN UNTIL HE STOPS MOVING thereby clearing the way for victory.

Let nothing stop you.  Let nothing deter you.  Pursue what is greatest in Rageball, namely TO CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES, SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU, AND HEAR THE LAMENTATION OF THE GOALIES.  Then score on them...again and again and again.  Rape their players with your swords, and rape their goal with your RAGEBALL.

Fast players, score.  Slower str characters, destroy the enemy players clearing the way for victory!  This is smart play, this is winning.  If people complain you aren't "playing right" when you do this, you are doing something right.  Any team that tries to only TDM will assuredly lose.  Any team that just focuses on scoring will get slaughtered.  You need both.

If this version if "football" is too hardcore for you, pick up madden '99 or FIFA or something.  While you're at it, pick up Mutant League Hockey of Mutant League Football and try to learn how a real mans game is played.  No further complaints on this issue will be heard at this time. :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 07:24:17 pm by Garison »

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 13, 2012, 06:46:50 pm »
This is the best game mode.

We could use some new maps though...not just open fields.  Open fields are fun, but we should mix it up too.

That one smaller arena map with the really high walls was a little annoying, but had some things going for it.  I'm picturing a field map with some waist-high walls, or slightly higher, strategically placed here and there in order to make things interesting.  If I knew how to make maps, I'd do it! :)

Overall, great work on this game mod. :)

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #333 on: February 14, 2012, 12:17:22 pm »
Ozin, on EU Rage ball server team point limit is 5 then map will changed. But on NA it has unlimited and  I find that the NA server is much better than EU because of this. Team point limit 5 which makes the game too short

Offline Morpher

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Oldmy old friend
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Morpher, UA_Bandera, Gold_Miner, etc
« Reply #334 on: February 14, 2012, 12:53:23 pm »
I think that the rageball is good right now.

But here is a few minor improvements:

Problem: When enemy archers are standing near your goalie and shoots him all the time. This sucks.
Solution: Goalkeeper should be defended by invisible shield from a ranged attacks.  Attacking a goalkeeper is a foul actually.

Problem: When enemy are standing near your goalie waiting for the ball. He is not involved in the play.
Solution: Implement offsides. Like in real football. This should solve many balance problems.
How it should look: Player can't pickup the ball while he is in offside position.
"A player is in an offside position if he is closer to the opponent's goal line than both the ball and the second-to-last defender (which is usually the last outfield player), but only if the player is on his opponent's half of the pitch."
I.e. when enemy midfielder passes the ball to an attacker and there is a friendly defender between them and no one between enemy attacker and a goal area (only goalkeeper) - then attacker should not be able to pickup or catch the ball.

Problem: Agi stackers. They are OK but they still can make a long passes. High athletic chars now are overpowered.
Solution: Make a shooting a more strength dependent. Super-fast runners should not be able to do a very long pass. High str people is looking balanced right now.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 01:41:57 pm by Morpher »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #335 on: February 14, 2012, 01:54:47 pm »

i had (retired) a 15/24 build and when i kick the ball it makes looong passes .
i tried kicks in a self-made server and i noticed it depends by sin/cos , angle str and some other thing but it seemes to me totally random , i charge the ball , high speed , 45° angle and sometimes i fail hard. please make the kick useful for str build and explain how it works thanks.

Offline Morpher

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Oldmy old friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 14, 2012, 02:02:09 pm »
15/24 is ok. 3/36 is not :)
Yeah, kicks also need an improvement. I don't use it cause donno how...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 02:03:11 pm by Morpher »

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #337 on: February 14, 2012, 02:36:15 pm »
I fucking love this game mode .

Offline Boerenlater

• Marshall
  • Renown: 728
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player
  • Jebem ti život!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boerenlater
« Reply #338 on: February 14, 2012, 02:41:31 pm »
I think that the rageball is good right now.

Problem: When enemy archers are standing near your goalie and shoots him all the time. This sucks.
Solution: Goalkeeper should be defended by invisible shield from a ranged attacks.  Attacking a goalkeeper is a foul actually.

Problem: When enemy are standing near your goalie waiting for the ball. He is not involved in the play.
Solution: Implement offsides. Like in real football. This should solve many balance problems.
How it should look: Player can't pickup the ball while he is in offside position.
"A player is in an offside position if he is closer to the opponent's goal line than both the ball and the second-to-last defender (which is usually the last outfield player), but only if the player is on his opponent's half of the pitch."
I.e. when enemy midfielder passes the ball to an attacker and there is a friendly defender between them and no one between enemy attacker and a goal area (only goalkeeper) - then attacker should not be able to pickup or catch the ball.

Problem: Agi stackers. They are OK but they still can make a long passes. High athletic chars now are overpowered.
Solution: Make a shooting a more strength dependent. Super-fast runners should not be able to do a very long pass. High str people is looking balanced right now.
100% agree

Offline Morpher

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Oldmy old friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 14, 2012, 03:32:53 pm »
Oh, offsides will cause another problems :)
In real football, when attacker gets a ball, he can make a sprint to get an advantage over defenders. With current running system + enabled offsides it will be impossible beacuse of ath/3 speed reduction. Maybe some ability to make a short sprint with a ball would solve this.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 14, 2012, 03:46:55 pm »
+2

No, this is not a problem.  Yes, it sucks.  It sucks to get shot by arrows, chopped in the head by a sword, or hammer in the gut with a maul.  This is RAGEBALL.  Please make it more violent, not less violent.  It would be better if the goalie could be attacked with melee weapons and have his entrails scattered across the plains.  Maybe have a shield as a goalie, or bring a bow yourself...I don't know.  But if you are sqeamish, don't play goalie.

No no...please do not tell players where they can stand.  It's RAGEBALL not soccer or hockey.  There is no offsides, and pretty much no rules.  That's what makes it fun!  Please do not introduce penalties.  There are no referees.  If the devs want to introduce referees, perhaps then penalties can be enforced...but only if the referees can also be attacked and killed.

High str people are better at killing enemy players faster.  If we allow them to use all parts of the field (not having offsides, so they can more strategically place themselves) and allow goalies to be attacked (making str characters more useful because they are more survivable and tough) it would help balance it.  Otherwise, you are correct...it is kind of an agi-players game.

Thank being said, I can do very well in RAGEBALL with 6 ath.  7 is better...but you for sure don't have to be an agi stacker to do well and win.  I do well with balanced builds.  You have to think ahead and position yourself appropriately.  Also, don't wear a lot of armor.  You are right that people with 27/12 or even 30/3 builds will have a harder time.  Rageball is not for everyone.  Cav builds might have a harder time too.  That's why you can make a STF or if your main is a balanced build you can still do quite well.

So I am requesting that we do NOT add any penalties UNLESS we also add an NPC referee.  When the ref is alive the pentalies are enforced (no offsides, no melee with the goalie, etc).  When the ref is killed, there are no rules for 2 mins until the ref respawns. :)  That would be fun.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 03:49:05 pm by Garison »

Offline Duke

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 14, 2012, 04:24:00 pm »
I agree with most of what Garison says, although I want goalies to keep their protected box...
maybe make the box much smaller, so long reach melee can poke at him... but that's as far as I'd ever go.

Offline Morpher

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Oldmy old friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 14, 2012, 04:25:24 pm »
No no...please do not tell players where they can stand.  It's RAGEBALL not soccer or hockey.  There is no offsides, and pretty much no rules.  That's what makes it fun!  Please do not introduce penalties.  There are no referees.  If the devs want to introduce referees, perhaps then penalties can be enforced...but only if the referees can also be attacked and killed..
I'm not talking about penalties. And you can stand where you want killing random people :) You will just not be able to catch or pickup the  ball from offside position.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 14, 2012, 07:07:24 pm »
No no...please do not tell players where they can stand.  It's RAGEBALL not soccer or hockey.  There is no offsides, and pretty much no rules.

Offline Ridicule

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ridicule, Ridiculous
« Reply #344 on: February 14, 2012, 07:10:01 pm »
Actually, off-sides in soccer is when you are past the last defender (not goalie) on the opponents side of the field when the ball is kicked by a teammate.  If you are on-sides when it is kicked you can run past the last defender and get the ball. 

That being said, I would hate to see any type of off-sides introduced to Rageball. 

I like the idea of a map with some walls to create a few choke points.  They don't have to be really tight choke points, but they would at least funnel people through.  I think they would make the Strength builds more valuable, and if you still have the open field maps then you have balance. Just like on some maps ranged or cav are better than regular melee, a choke point map would add to the value of a heavy str build.  The agility characters have to pay even more attention at going through those points instead of just making a quick cut and avoiding a swing before heading back on course.

I personally prefer high agility builds right now, but do think some choke points would prove interesting.  Also, I pretty much expect to be attacked at any time since I do have a high agi/ath build, and also take the time to hit anyone on the opposing team that I know has a similar build so I can slow them down even if they do not have the ball but their team does or they are chasing one of my teammates.

I really appreciate it when I am playing with guys that understand that if I have the ball and attackers are coming at me, they shouldn't run to me as well, but go the opposite way for a pass.  I don't mind dieing when I can get a pass off, but I do hate it when I die and have no one to pass to.