Author Topic: Why are 2h better then polearms?  (Read 3949 times)

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
Re: Why are 2h better then polearms?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 07:15:28 am »
+1
You are all dumb, except for Dex.  :D

Polearms have way too much variety for a broad comparison statement between 2h and poles to have any validity. Certain equipment combinations and character builds benefit more from one weapon than they do another. It's impossible to be great at everything but the most well rounded weapons, tend to be two-handers. Polearms tend to be more specialized in one or two things. About the only thing two-handers tend to do poorly, is break shields, but some polearms tend to do even worse than a longsword would for that. Polearms are all about versatility and specialization, two-handers are just well rounded without much specialization.

Of course, if I had to pick the top 5 weapons in crpg right now, not one of them would be a two-hander. I think that says something about the actual weapons themselves rather than the classes though.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Gomer

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 368
  • cRPG Player
  • Skill Crutcher
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Gomer
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 07:43:05 am »

Polearms have way too much variety for a broad comparison statement between 2h and poles to have any validity. Certain equipment combinations and character builds benefit more from one weapon than they do another. It's impossible to be great at everything but the most well rounded weapons, tend to be two-handers. Polearms tend to be more specialized in one or two things. About the only thing two-handers tend to do poorly, is break shields, but some polearms tend to do even worse than a longsword would for that. Polearms are all about versatility and specialization, two-handers are just well rounded without much specialization.

Of course, if I had to pick the top 5 weapons in crpg right now, not one of them would be a two-hander. I think that says something about the actual weapons themselves rather than the classes though.
1.Arbelest
2.Long Voluge
3.Rus Bow
4.Horn Bow
5.Cross Bow
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 09:56:58 am »
+1

I see what you're getting at, however lets call it for what it is. Even if you wanted to group specific items such as the war spear, glaive, hafted blades,or even the infamous bec into the equation together, two handers by and large just make for the better dueling weapons, especially with those really cheesy builds. By and large, the animations on two handers are just so much smoother and easier to use effectively, even in the most awkward of positions with enough power strike. I've tested on several builds (using the same sort of standard nothing special stats of 5-6 powerstrike and also higher 8-9 power strike strength builds) tested on the same standard medium to heavy armor. I glanced much more often with my polearms. Also, even when I went to the bec to erase this issue, with the bec you can still get out ranged by a two hander of the same range simply because of the way two handed animations make the user grip the sword. The stab on the two handed sword now is also arguably even trickier now than it was before simply because of the duration time one can inflict damage within the animation. Thats not to say that two handers were a cake walk compared to polearm dueling, but there was definitely a noticeable difference in difficulty by and large. Even if polearms didn't specialize the way they did with certain weapons, they'd still be anything but impractical as far as i'm concerned. That being said, id still have to stand by my point that two handers by and large are simply more suited to duel situations.
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline Gomer

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 368
  • cRPG Player
  • Skill Crutcher
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Gomer
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 10:04:52 am »

I see what you're getting at, however lets call it for what it is. Even if you wanted to group specific items such as the war spear, glaive, hafted blades,or even the infamous bec into the equation together, two handers by and large just make for the better dueling weapons, especially with those really cheesy builds. By and large, the animations on two handers are just so much smoother and easier to use effectively, even in the most awkward of positions with enough power strike. I've tested on several builds (using the same sort of standard nothing special stats of 5-6 powerstrike and also higher 8-9 power strike strength builds) tested on the same standard medium to heavy armor. I glanced much more often with my polearms. Also, even when I went to the bec to erase this issue, with the bec you can still get out ranged by a two hander of the same range simply because of the way two handed animations make the user grip the sword. The stab on the two handed sword now is also arguably even trickier now than it was before simply because of the duration time one can inflict damage within the animation. Thats not to say that two handers were a cake walk compared to polearm dueling, but there was definitely a noticeable difference in difficulty by and large. Even if polearms didn't specialize the way they did with certain weapons, they'd still be anything but impractical as far as i'm concerned. That being said, id still have to stand by my point that two handers by and large are simply more suited to duel situations.

Agreed though this could use some spacing. Double space or make some paragraphs hard to read for us Scrubs!

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 11:19:19 am »
Sorry  :oops:
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 07:29:52 pm »
For dueling who though? I'll take a 1h for dueling pretty much anyone that has less than 30/40 armor; If my opponent has mid range armor, I'd take a 2her; if I'm fighting someone who has 70+ armor, I'm taking a bec. Regardless of their weapon or their speed(aside maybe from the fastest people, in which case, I'd probably go with a war spear) this holds true for just about every build I can think of. For the most part, I'd have to say armor has the most influence on a 1v1 situation(duels). Which is probably why in native, if you try dueling people while having any armor other than the default, many people won't even bother accepting your challenge.

pseudo-edit(too lazy to retype/add this in elsewhere): Assuming I get to create my own build. Also, if we had the old side sword stats I'd probably take 1hers up to about 50 armor.

Offline Cathaoir

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • Quit raging about rageball.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Cathaoir
  • IRC nick: Cathaoir
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 06:09:15 pm »

well said, thats why your picture is with one. Becuase its a weapon of war just pure and simple. its a bar of cold steel, not much variety or anything to look at or have fun with.  Just steel-sword "Good for killin"
It's not the size of the stick that matters, but who's swinging it.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 08:21:05 pm »
well said, thats why your picture is with one. Becuase its a weapon of war just pure and simple. its a bar of cold steel, not much variety or anything to look at or have fun with.  Just steel-sword "Good for killin"
I have 9 craft skill with a MW GLA in strat and 15 with a MW Niuweidao, can't craft any two-handers or bows though.

Offline Zekerage

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ZyloRage
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 09:36:31 pm »
I'd argue that "better" depends on the situation. I recently rolled a 12/27 character (4 PS, 9 WM, 9 ATH, 1 extra point, 139 2h wpf, 140 polearm wpf), and I was able to switch between my MW Warspear and my MW Katana on the fly for any situation, and let me tell you, it was freaking awesome. They both dealt with most situations really well (with Warspear REALLY only outshining the Katana when Horses were involved, but otherwise pretty equal in usefulness).

The problem with comparing the two is: Bias, situation, particular weapons (Elegent poleaxe is NOT a war spear, but I'd argue that the Greatswords aren't that different from the lower tiered weapons, other than damage/length), personal skill (Some people just can't USE one or the other). In the end, I'd like to argue that it's not which is BETTER, but which it is that You, personally, prefer. I advocate playing ALL of the classes, finding what you like, and then playing that.

Offline Shinimas1

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 09:38:56 am »

Well, a sword is a much more technically sophisticated weapon than a spear/longaxe.

Offline Segd

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 10:20:01 am »
Length. & Great maul :)

2h
Overhead = +15
Left-to-right = +17
Right-to-left = +13
Thrust = +80 (This may be slightly wrong with the new stab animation)

2h Polearms
Overhead = -15
Left-to-right = -7
Right-to-left = -2
Thrust = +19

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,23607.0

Offline Maximus101

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Merciless_Takeolan
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 09:25:46 pm »
IMO the polearms will always be the best due to the ability to always be in charge of the fight due to the length. You are always the first to hit, and by simply holding a blow you can win fights very easily. 2 hander is missing summin atm.

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 10:29:52 pm »
Polearms
more Speed (GLA or Glaive definetly tend to Be faster than a SoW eg)
Damage.
Sometimes length (Glaive, Poleaxes, Spears and Pikes)
Polestagger and usually Bonus against Shields.
Also more weight (STUN)
and imo more confusing animations but this might Be only me.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 10:45:54 pm »
And polearms can still lolstab.

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 12:17:08 am »
I'm sorry but I disagree. Polearms are simply not better dueling weapons than two handers in my opinion.

Well, some guy got bored, got a 6 agi peasant using the Ashwood Pike, pwning some great swordmen so that the developers had to raise the Ashwoods prices to the nirvana, decrease its stats, a weapon you cant sheath cant use on horseback with two attack directions only, ye ye yeah welcome to items balancers world.

But still you can swing huge (pole)axes like they were pencils or something. They are the weapon for those who dont have the eye to be ranger and not the awareness to be horsemen, and of course cant parry. 2h at least needs a minimum of skill, to know when stab and when better swing, lol.