Author Topic: Polearms  (Read 3458 times)

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
Re: Polearms
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 10:57:19 pm »
Iv played Polearm since gen 2 (gen 8 now) and I use the poleaxe, iv never been anyother class since so heres a few of the things i do to get the advantage. Warnning small wall of text!

1) Find the build thats right for your style, im not sure what the most common polearm build is since i play as cav so I have a 18/21 build but i know that everyone has a build suited to how they fight for example I have 6 ath so i can move faster while on foot and can stab backwards and forwards faster where as someone else might have more PS then ath because they prefer to be up close to the enemy to do more damage, so best i can say is try different builds try all the suggested ones to see what suits you!!

2)  use your weapons reach to your advantage and when i say this i dont mean buy a glave and just hold s since it you will probably run it to a wall at one point since you dont have eyes in the back of your head, what i mean is when you swing your weapon step forward then step back. so your weapon gets closer to the enemy when you sttep forward and you can safely move out of his swing range when you step back.

3) this is really important but most people dont say anything about it sadly, the key to having the perfect polearm experince is not only the build that makes you good with polearms but its your weapon!!! you have to find the weapon that you feel your the best with and sure you could just buy different ones and swing it about for a while and try and see but your weapon and build must work togeher! if you have the wrong build with the wrong weapon you wont get very far and you will find your self at the bottom of the bord very fast and very often. best thing i can suggest is that when you try different builds use the same weapon for a week or so to see how you do, although its only a game but personally and I dont know if anyone else is the same but for me when i was trying to find the right polearm by using different weapons most of them didnt "feel" right and its still the same when i retire thats why i hate retiring since every weapon i have got just doesnt feel right to me where as with my poleaxe its like i know everything about it and it just feel right holding it. yes it sounds weird but oh well, so make sure you find the right build and weapon and its all about what is best suited to you and what you feel is "right!"

4) finally although its awesome that so many people have replied to help you and im actually happy to see so many polearm players now since everyone seemed to be in a 2h LOL stabbing spree (but i guess since something happened to the stab people dont like it no more" but im sure that once you have got the right weapon and build you will find and make your own tactics, because although most of the people posting are vet polearm users at the end of the day this is what works for us! and it might not work for you but its always good to experiment and to try new things.

I hope you find whats right for you and what works and good luck!!!

Too run-on, didn't read.

EDIT: I'm serious, I can't read run-on sentences.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 12:27:06 pm by Brrrak »

Offline von_felty

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TBT
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 05:00:21 pm »
I need some advice...

Currently I'm going for a 15str/21agi build for my spear and shield with currently 7 ath and 5 shield and 5 wp.

I have two points left over, so should I go with 7 shield and be redunkulous with shield hardly breaking or should I go with 7 wp and try for a higher wpf.

Currently I have 143 wpf in pole arm so I don't know if putting more points into is going to raise it all that.

So what should I do?

Offline Hunter_the_Honourable

• Count
  • Renown: 229
  • Infamy: 178
  • Killing fairy riders for the good of cRPG.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-fairy riders.
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 05:14:14 pm »
I need some advice...

Currently I'm going for a 15str/21agi build for my spear and shield with currently 7 ath and 5 shield and 5 wp.

I have two points left over, so should I go with 7 shield and be redunkulous with shield hardly breaking or should I go with 7 wp and try for a higher wpf.

Currently I have 143 wpf in pole arm so I don't know if putting more points into is going to raise it all that.

So what should I do?

first off if you dont have a 1h side arm then you will be easy to beat, second Id personally choose shield skill since your only stabbing you wont need to be super fast but you will need to have a reliable shield that wont break after a couple hits  :)
How can you trust People?
They are Humans
I never trust Humans.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 06:09:16 am »
first off if you dont have a 1h side arm then you will be easy to beat, second Id personally choose shield skill since your only stabbing you wont need to be super fast but you will need to have a reliable shield that wont break after a couple hits  :)

He doesn't need a side arm, though I agree with taking the shield skill. Honestly weaponmaster is kind of useless unless you're doing a hybrid build. If you get in a 1v1, just throw the shield on your back. The war spear would be best for this, but even with an ashwood pike you can do well 1v1.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 02:32:23 pm »
go for my build 16/24

5ps,8wm,8 athl. polearms 164points. Yes, axes are great for shields.  Weapons you should use is glaive,great long axe,long war axe,german poleaxe...

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 02:38:24 pm »
Level 30
24/15
69hp
8 conv

8PS
5IF
5ATHL
5WM

Poleaxe

The wpf is high enough that the break chance on the expensive poleaxe is extremely low, and thus you can wear great armour.
:shock: i am going to try this right now.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 03:00:09 pm »
+2
Scratch everything that has been said earlier, use the Ashwood Pike. I'm doing better with the Ashwood Pike than I ever did with my MW German Greatsword or MW German poleaxe. And it's not even loomed and costs only 4.6k. I guess its not for everyone, but if you are good enough for it, its really a great weapon.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 03:51:39 pm »
its awesome with a shield too :D
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 04:12:56 pm »
gayest weapon in the world. i hate that spam weapon.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 06:19:13 pm »
go for my build 16/24

5ps,8wm,8 athl. polearms 164points. Yes, axes are great for shields.  Weapons you should use is glaive,great long axe,long war axe,german poleaxe...

15(16)/24 is the best build imo as well. Get 16str if you want a wider range of weapons to choose from.
You don't need more than 5PS when using high damage blunt/piercing polearms.

With 8 athletics you can choose your fights really well as you can outrun most people.
You can also fight versus several enemies at once and you have the best possible build for dueling.

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2012, 08:15:38 am »
15(16)/24 is the best build imo as well. Get 16str if you want a wider range of weapons to choose from.
You don't need more than 5PS when using high damage blunt/piercing polearms.

With 8 athletics you can choose your fights really well as you can outrun most people.
You can also fight versus several enemies at once and you have the best possible build for dueling.
Hmm don't know. You dont have IF,and you are easy too kill 2-3 hits ad you are dead. 1 hit with with great maul and you are dead.
On the other hand 24/15 isn't that bad,but you can only be support,or attack group. Alone vs spamtana and agile shielders you have no chance.
They just come close to you,and you cant keep them at distance or outrun them and they spam you to death. Alone vs archers with no shield is also pain in the ass.
But on some maps others run from me,i was fucking tank,with glaive i was very,very fast. If you play as support char you will have great score with that build.