Author Topic: Polearms  (Read 3310 times)

Offline ToniTcc

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_ToniTcc, Fallen_Inheritor
Polearms
« on: January 05, 2012, 09:44:37 am »
Since I couldn't find any PURE polearm guides, I decided to ask for one myself.
So I'm second gen and now I decided to go polearm. But since I'm still pretty new to this game and don't know every funny trick there is I tried to ask from you guys, who got some experience about this.

Pure polearm, no extra points to anything else than shield.
I wanted to try 15/24, but there seems to be lack of loomed long war axes, so maybe I go for higher dmg output(don't know yet, so give both opinions).
I'm not so sure about armor either, but higher ath would be nice(again not sure, so give your opinion)

And lastly, I don't want to be selfish, so lets make this overall a thread for new polearmers, who need guidance.
Tales of the fallen brigayd wasn't quite the bedtime story I was looking for.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Polearms
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 09:49:34 am »
18/21, medium to light armor, glaive, s-key, win

On a serious note, the standard Polearm is a great weapon (massive pierce), I'd suggest going for either 18/21, 21/18 or 24/15 builds. Rest is up to practice and talent.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:50:42 am by Vibe »

Offline ToniTcc

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 09:52:28 am »
18/21, medium to light armor, glaive, s-key, win

On a serious note, the standard Polearm is a great weapon (massive pierce), I'd suggest going for either 18/21, 21/18 or 24/15 builds. Rest is up to practice and talent.

Forgot to say that I decided to become polearmer just because of shielders. I want high dmg output against shields. So only axes for me.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 10:02:43 am »
Forgot to say that I decided to become polearmer just because of shielders. I want high dmg output against shields. So only axes for me.

Poleaxe has a bonus against shields :) It's pretty much the best pole out there.

If you really only care about high damage versus shields, take Great Long Axe.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 10:04:49 am »
I never used a shieldbreaking weapon before, now I use the German Poleaxe and it is very useful, much more than I expected.

Offline Herkkutatti

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 10:26:15 am »
Try 30/9 build with great long bardiche , taste the feeling of 1 hit KO  8-)
/l
(゚、 。 7
l、 ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ Nerf archery ,please!

Offline ToniTcc

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 10:33:30 am »
Try 30/9 build with great long bardiche , taste the feeling of 1 hit KO  8-)

And then you get ganked and die with your 3 ath.

And back to thread. Can you say that how much I convert skills to attribute and vice versa?

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 10:36:11 am »
For build totaling 39 att (18/21, 24/15, 21/18) you need to convert 8skills to att

Offline Erzengel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 769
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Norse_Erzengel
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 07:25:46 pm »
I'm using 15/24 with Mighty Long War Axe at the moment and its very nice. 18/21 is good too. 21/18 is to slow in my opinion.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 07:47:03 pm »
+2
Level 30
24/15
69hp
8 conv

8PS
5IF
5ATHL
5WM

Poleaxe

The wpf is high enough that the break chance on the expensive poleaxe is extremely low, and thus you can wear great armour.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 08:34:36 pm »
built of tears is the best for what you want

you can also go with a basic 18/18 built and have a side skill (riding) but you want pure and bla bla bla so go with ToD

(also... Love your new signature Tears)
So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 08:40:53 pm »
Heh, thank you kindly.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 11:11:56 pm »
Level 30
24/15
69hp
8 conv

8PS
5IF
5ATHL
5WM

Poleaxe

The wpf is high enough that the break chance on the expensive poleaxe is extremely low, and thus you can wear great armour.

I'm using this build right now, 8 PS is ridiculously fun. Stay back and poke, or charge in swinging, your call. Bring a 0 skill shield for arrows, a dagger for hallway fights.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 05:13:24 pm »
As you are also asking for tricks, I will talk about my experiences with polearms in the first ten hours I've played it since my respec.

Stun
A lot of polearms are quite heavy, the poleaxe and great long axe for example. By holding an overhead with a 3 weight weapon you can actually stun 2,5 weight 2h swords when they block, they can't attack back and have to block twice. If people don't see this coming they will try to attack and wont be able to. Stun doesn't always work on these semi heavy weapons, so don't assume he'll be stunned, 1h however will be stunned a lot.

Stab
The stab is fast, very fast. A couple of feints ending with a stab turned in catches a lot of people off guard. The poleaxes for example have a very high damage stab. Feinting stabs while turning around and then suddenly stabbing for real can be useful too, you have to be able to block quick though. At close range the stab can be near instant, while still doing damage if you turn it in right.

Might add some more if I can be arsed and learn new stuff myself, might also make a new post, might not do anything at all.

Offline Hunter_the_Honourable

• Count
  • Renown: 229
  • Infamy: 178
  • Killing fairy riders for the good of cRPG.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-fairy riders.
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 06:16:38 pm »
+1
Iv played Polearm since gen 2 (gen 8 now) and I use the poleaxe, iv never been anyother class since so heres a few of the things i do to get the advantage. Warnning small wall of text!

1) Find the build thats right for your style, im not sure what the most common polearm build is since i play as cav so I have a 18/21 build but i know that everyone has a build suited to how they fight for example I have 6 ath so i can move faster while on foot and can stab backwards and forwards faster where as someone else might have more PS then ath because they prefer to be up close to the enemy to do more damage, so best i can say is try different builds try all the suggested ones to see what suits you!!

2)  use your weapons reach to your advantage and when i say this i dont mean buy a glave and just hold s since it you will probably run it to a wall at one point since you dont have eyes in the back of your head, what i mean is when you swing your weapon step forward then step back. so your weapon gets closer to the enemy when you sttep forward and you can safely move out of his swing range when you step back.

3) this is really important but most people dont say anything about it sadly, the key to having the perfect polearm experince is not only the build that makes you good with polearms but its your weapon!!! you have to find the weapon that you feel your the best with and sure you could just buy different ones and swing it about for a while and try and see but your weapon and build must work togeher! if you have the wrong build with the wrong weapon you wont get very far and you will find your self at the bottom of the bord very fast and very often. best thing i can suggest is that when you try different builds use the same weapon for a week or so to see how you do, although its only a game but personally and I dont know if anyone else is the same but for me when i was trying to find the right polearm by using different weapons most of them didnt "feel" right and its still the same when i retire thats why i hate retiring since every weapon i have got just doesnt feel right to me where as with my poleaxe its like i know everything about it and it just feel right holding it. yes it sounds weird but oh well, so make sure you find the right build and weapon and its all about what is best suited to you and what you feel is "right!"

4) finally although its awesome that so many people have replied to help you and im actually happy to see so many polearm players now since everyone seemed to be in a 2h LOL stabbing spree (but i guess since something happened to the stab people dont like it no more" but im sure that once you have got the right weapon and build you will find and make your own tactics, because although most of the people posting are vet polearm users at the end of the day this is what works for us! and it might not work for you but its always good to experiment and to try new things.

I hope you find whats right for you and what works and good luck!!!
How can you trust People?
They are Humans
I never trust Humans.