Author Topic: Computer trouble...  (Read 711 times)

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
Computer trouble...
« on: January 02, 2012, 05:07:11 pm »
Hello, cRPG population! I'm having a bit of trouble with my computer hardware. When I run a video game like Warband, Battlefield 3, or something else that is high-stress for my computer, something within the computer makes a high-pitched screeching type sound. I've tried dusting out my computer, and I continue to do so often. But, this screeching sound is a bitch, and never seems to go away unless I"m not playing games.

Any ideas on what it could be, solutions to the problem, etc?

EDIT: My assumption is that it's one of my fans... perhaps the processor fan. Although, I'm horribly illiterate when it comes to computer hardware.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 05:10:20 pm by Reinhardt »
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline Noctivagant

• Earl
  • Renown: 470
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
  • I solve practical problems
    • View Profile
    • I never drank a six pack of warm beer
  • Faction: Mercenaries
Re: Computer trouble...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 05:12:02 pm »
Hello, cRPG population! I'm having a bit of trouble with my computer hardware. When I run a video game like Warband, Battlefield 3, or something else that is high-stress for my computer, something within the computer makes a high-pitched screeching type sound. I've tried dusting out my computer, and I continue to do so often. But, this screeching sound is a bitch, and never seems to go away unless I"m not playing games.

Any ideas on what it could be, solutions to the problem, etc?

EDIT: My assumption is that it's one of my fans... perhaps the processor fan. Although, I'm horribly illiterate when it comes to computer hardware.

Thanks in advance.

I'd open the case and observe GPU fan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 05:20:02 pm »
Opened the case, and the sound went away. The loudest fan running is my graphics card fan.

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 05:27:51 pm »
passing the vacuum (when I say vacuum I say something elso to remove dust) once in a while help. (you should see me the first time in six years i open up my old computer... I couldn't see the composant :|)

So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"

Offline Elmokki

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: United democratic national whatever
  • Game nicks: elmokki_Krokotiili
  • IRC nick: Elmokki
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 05:32:59 pm »
If the sound doesn't happen when your case is open there are two possible things really:

The part of the case you open resonates or something (though the sound is a bit weird for that)

or

Your computer's airflow is so very terrible that just opening it allows fans to work on a bit lower rpm (unlikely unless your airflow is REALLY bad)

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 05:44:51 pm »
If the sound doesn't happen when your case is open there are two possible things really:

The part of the case you open resonates or something (though the sound is a bit weird for that)

or

Your computer's airflow is so very terrible that just opening it allows fans to work on a bit lower rpm (unlikely unless your airflow is REALLY bad)

2 fans in front of the computer sucking in cool air (1 of them is blocked by my extra hard drive, so.. only one is functional), 1 fan in back pushing out air, same with one on top. Processor fan, as well as the power supply fan, and lastly the Graphics card fan.

I'd assume my airflow is fine... but... the side of the case is off, and it hasn't made that sound yet again.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 05:45:58 pm by Reinhardt »

Offline Mtemtko

• Count
  • Renown: 168
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Merc_Mtemtko
  • IRC nick: Mtemtko
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 05:56:46 pm »
Most likely its the PSU, I believe its the bad capacitors common in cheap PSUs that make the high-pitched voice under load, whats the brand of your PSU?... Also since now you said its something to do with the case try screwing each bolt in the case, including the ones that hold the fans, I have a similar problem with my HAF 932, I tried switching off every fan in the case and turning them on one by one, it got louder with each, so I suppose something is shaking in the case, I just removed the side pannel and the problem is gone, but also thats a buzzing sound not high-pitched sound :/

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:02:42 pm by Mtemtko »

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 06:07:17 pm »
Most likely its the PSU, I believe its the bad capacitors common in cheap PSUs that make the high-pitched voice under load, whats the brand of your PSU?... Also since now you said its something to do with the case try screwing each bolt in the case, including the ones that hold the fans, I have a similar problem with my HAF 932, I tried switching off every fan in the case and turning them on one by one, it got louder with each, so I suppose something is shaking in the case, I just removed the side pannel and the problem is gone, but also thats a buzzing sound not high-pitched sound :/

Power supply unit brand... Corsair... TX650W.

Also, I have a secondary hard drive. This is blocking my top frontal fan. Not sure if it may be causing this high pitched sound.. perhaps some...friction between parts in there or something?

Scratch this: The top fan doesn't even run when the computer is on.

EDIT: Just found my little adjustable things within the computer for the fans. I put them from low, to medium. I'm going to close the case and run warband to see if it works.

EDIT2: It wasn't as bad, but it still made the noise. I could hear the computer going from eh, somewhat of a relaxed state I guess to a higher working state. It kept getting louder and higher until that noise started. I have the feeling something is being overworked, but I don't know what.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:17:20 pm by Reinhardt »