Author Topic: Roman gear and weaponry  (Read 3721 times)

Offline Jeric

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • k
    • View Profile
  • Faction: k
  • Game nicks: hey
Roman gear and weaponry
« on: December 28, 2011, 05:45:00 am »
+1
Wouldn't a Roman clan be great? In my mind's eye I see Roman shield walls with spears behind them and horse-hair helmet centurions commanding the squads.

Roman shields are a lot like Rhodok board shields, only they a have more inward curve at the edges.

They would each carry a gladius double sided pointed shortsword. The 'Broad Shortsword' would suffice, pretty much.

They had a woolen tunic covered by a breastplate and significant,  characteristic shoulder plates. The "Red Corrazina" armor is pretty close excluding the shoulder plates and the lack of breastplate. Close enough, anyway.

Roman soldiers would wear leather sandals. Those don't exist at the moment.

The Roman helmet had a characteristic shape, being completely solid metal coming over the sides of the head to a rounded top and then a visor coming off the back. The bascinet, open sallet, barbutte, spiked helmet, morion, and most other non-face covering, un-coiffed solid metal helmets would work. Centurions and other ranks used barbuttes with horse hair plumes on them.

Romans used crossbows, so that's checked out.

I understand that there is a formerly popular module full of Roman models. Heres the link: http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=2368

I really hope this is considered. I want to be a Roman! :D

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
Re: Roman gear and weaponry
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 03:55:28 pm »
Nothing is stopping you making a medieval roman adaption. Just a board shield, throwing spears, short sword, medium armour :P

Make one :D should be good ;)

Oh and as for roman clans, there is legio which at least is inspired by Rome but it doesnt really stick to Roman appearance or ways ;)
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 06:59:46 pm »
+3
Most of the Roman arms and armor were basically copied from other cultures, mainly Greek in the early period and then Celtic (although Samnites, Umbrians and Etruscans also influenced it a lot, early on).

The chainmail ("It is believed that the Roman Republic first came into contact with mail fighting the Gauls in Cisalpine Gaul, now Northern Italy. The Roman army adopted the technology for their troops in the form of the lorica hamata which was used as a primary form of armour through the Imperial period".), the helmet ("In the Roman Republic, the Montefortino helmet was the first stage in the development of the galea, derived from Celtic helmet designs. Similar types are to be found in Spain, Gaul, and into northern Italy"), the gladius ("From the 3rd century BC, the Romans adopted swords similar to those used by the Celtiberians and others during the early part of the conquest of Hispania. This sword was known as the Gladius Hispaniensis, or "Hispanic Sword""). The Scutum shield afaik was developped independently and was uniquely Roman as was the Pilum, although most Celtic shields also used the iron bosse in the middle.

The La Tene celts were painted as barbarians and savages by the Romans in their histories, but they were a contemporary culture almost as rich technlogically.
In any case, good luck getting the devs to accept this, this has been asked for many times. I'd totally love having some Roman stuff to play around with.

But "Romans used crossbows"? Erm, really? Can I haz source? They used ballistae and torsion catapults, but crossbows?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 07:02:41 pm by Oberyn »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 07:27:13 pm »
Well shit, a simple google search points out crossbows were actually used as far back as the Ancient Greeks and known as gastraphete. The Roman versions were  called arcuballista or manuballista. I learned something new today XD.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sharky

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Legione Italica
  • Game nicks: LEGIO_Sharkyborn_Sharkatron Legio_Lollia_Paolina Legio_Sharkatrower Legio_SharkaNukes
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 06:47:39 am »
Well we don't know really much about roman crossbow and how they used it. Roman authors talk about a lot of different types of ranged weapons but they didn't explain how they worked.
Probably they used little ballistae that one or two mens could carry. And also improved versions of the greek gastraphetes and other designs. There is also an account of some ranged weapon used by cavalry
For sure they weren't deadlier as in medieval times, but in the late empire they probably got much better (and became much more wispread also outside the Roman world).

As for roman armours, chainmails were the most used tough all imperial rome history, while lorica segmentata (partial plate armour) and lorica squamata (scale armour) were used but much less. Also roman soldiers had white tunics, not red ones. Red was used for centurions and other officiers. So i think a white tunic over mail or white mail with surcoat would be the most accurate armour possibile (but if doesn't really fit since they put the tunic under the armour, not over it :) )

Offline Adrian

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 10:30:09 pm »
Yes yes yes yes to roman armor. It fits into the crpg time period perfectly fine! If chadz is okay with adding an armor texture which is from the renaissance period then roman armor should be okay.

I mean how amazing would the roman helmets with the horse hairs look ingame?!?
I for one believe it would become an instant favorite for crpg players.

Also I know our clan, LL Lost Legion, is a roman clan however with the lack of any actual early roman armor we don't have a lot to work with. I know there are actually a few clans that are roman based and would love to have some earlier period roman armor added in.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 06:35:27 am »
Plain Board Shield, Scottish Sword, 2x Throwing Lance. Bam legionnaire kind of. Your just douched on the armour. Hopefully they will make a morion helmet with a huge plume of red feathers or maybe Final Boss will add that to the +1 +2 +3 versions of the morion helmets blah blah blah.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 07:22:03 pm »
Also roman soldiers had white tunics, not red ones. Red was used for centurions and other officiers. So i think a white tunic over mail or white mail with surcoat would be the most accurate armour possibile (but if doesn't really fit since they put the tunic under the armour, not over it :) )

Use the white lamellar armor, with the barbute

Offline Mr_Carpenter

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 08:11:24 pm »
Plain Board Shield, Scottish Sword, 2x Throwing Lance. Bam legionnaire kind of. Your just douched on the armour. Hopefully they will make a morion helmet with a huge plume of red feathers or maybe Final Boss will add that to the +1 +2 +3 versions of the morion helmets blah blah blah.
IMO Scottish Sword doesn't really look like gladius at all, gladius is rather wide sword and plain, when Scottish Sword is kinda thin and "detailed"... Best sword for Roman Legionnare kind of character right now is Short Broad Sword IMO.

Here's my current look, trying to go for Roman Legionnare Officer look.
(click to show/hide)

I really hope they add some Roman gear soon into the mod, and yes I agree it would be great to see faction based on Roman Legion, and using legionnare tactis and shiet...

Offline Opium.dk

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen Of Fenada
  • Game nicks: Opiumdk
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 12:55:03 am »
There are other mods for that.

Mount&Gladius for example.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 02:47:30 pm »
Skoutatos armor?

Offline KillerofFlowers

• Baron
  • Renown: 122
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lost Legion
  • Game nicks: LL_Emperor_KillerofFlowers
  • IRC nick: KillerofFlowers
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 02:05:52 pm »
+1 to roman armor, LL and legio have been waiting long enough.

Offline Vingnir the Wanderer

• Knight
  • Renown: 50
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Snowhawk
  • Game nicks: Ving
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 03:22:16 am »
Current arms and armor period is about 1066-1450

And that's stretching it.  the believability 'excuser', is that, in the 'boonies' and wastelands, or among the poor, you may still find pockets of armies, that would still use such, as in among the more rural and isolated  scandinavians/ Rus/ Magyars etc.

I would be all for anything falling within that range, or close to it.

Roman legionary stuff dating from 300-600 AD however, would be rediculous.

If your truly a fan of 'Italy' then do the homework and petition for period correct armor skins, or get someone to make them.

If you want roman legion stuff, then your historically retarded, and asking for the equivalent, of mongols in a game about napoleonic wars.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:08:31 am by Vingnir the Wanderer »

Offline Il_Debrando

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 09:21:17 pm »
I'm already happy they added some byzantine gear :)