Author Topic: (RTW) Rome:Total War  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Mr. Hannibal

• Knight
  • Renown: 59
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: (RTW) Rome:Total War
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 06:26:29 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Daggerwank!

Offline Mr. Hannibal

• Knight
  • Renown: 59
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 06:41:57 pm »
Oh btw guys,if you play RTW on steam,do you have a problem with Multiplayer,because it show's ''Failed to connect (GS)''.

It's really bugging me,because i really really wanna try multiplayer :(

Offline Count_Curtis

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • There's no cure for being a cunt
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Captain_Ludd / Curtis
  • IRC nick: Curtis
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2012, 04:35:28 pm »
I'm chuffed this game has its own thread.

Deserves it

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 04:48:42 pm »
RTW is the better of the TW series, followed by ETW imo, Medieval 2 just annoyed me by the fact they attempted death animations but they either died with their arms outstretched on their front or back, no curling around the arrow like in RTW haha, NTW never enjoyed it, it just seemed like a bad mod for ETW, and Shogun II well its not great, the only think lacking is the adaptability of units, samurai beats ashigaru you have an army of the former early on your unbeatable (also ranged spam always wins)

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 09:23:23 pm »
Shogun II well its not great, the only think lacking is the adaptability of units, samurai beats ashigaru you have an army of the former early on your unbeatable (also ranged spam always wins)

Shogun II's multiplayer is unmatched despite it's horrendous imbalance issues. The upcoming expansion is going to be a disaster though.. gatling guns and iron clad ships? /facepalm

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 10:41:13 pm »
Shogun 2 was a disaster, every faction had the same units and like 5 types. No unit variety. That was what I enjoyed about Total War, finally getting those Zweihanders and see them rampage through the enemy infantry. Using your faction's strength and weakness to build an asskicking empire.

Shogun 2 didnt do any of that, and it was hugely well received. It was basically a dumbed down version of the cool ones like Rome and Medieval 2. They will probably continue down this road. SERIES = DEAD!

So I'm stuck with playing Medieval 2 mods for the rest of my life.

Offline Franke

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Franke_HRE and Frankes_STF_HRE
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 11:25:12 pm »
They will probably continue down this road. SERIES = DEAD!

Not Sure how they could continue the series. Rome 2 maybe, or something new? Empire 2 (set in the 19th century)?
Quote from: Tindel
In teamspeak i like to hear all of your opinions on; beer and alcohol, chocolate chip cookies, social problems and their solutions, massmurderers, why ranged should burn in hell, hating on new maps, hating on old maps.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 12:09:07 am »
RTW is the better of the TW series, followed by ETW imo, Medieval 2 just annoyed me by the fact they attempted death animations but they either died with their arms outstretched on their front or back, no curling around the arrow like in RTW haha, NTW never enjoyed it, it just seemed like a bad mod for ETW, and Shogun II well its not great, the only think lacking is the adaptability of units, samurai beats ashigaru you have an army of the former early on your unbeatable (also ranged spam always wins)

Interesting, unusual views. I personally thought Napoleon was everything that ETW should have been. ETW was buggy as hell and they changed aspects of it every few days with patches. Napoleon was the finished product, polished and interesting from every aspect. MW1 was probably my favourite of all the games, I was to young to really understand the original Shogun. After MTW comes Rome, then NTW, then Shogun 2 and then M2 and ETW.

Shogun 2 was a disaster, every faction had the same units and like 5 types. No unit variety. That was what I enjoyed about Total War, finally getting those Zweihanders and see them rampage through the enemy infantry. Using your faction's strength and weakness to build an asskicking empire.

Eh? Did you ever play the original shogun? All the units were relatively the same then. It's because Japan didn't have an entirely large variety of units in that period, it's got nothing to do with whether the future TW games will have variety or not. But everyone wanted them to remake Shogun...so that's why it was so well received.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 12:27:21 am »
I was quite the opponent in multiplayer 1.5-2 years ish ago. Wonderful game.

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 12:47:34 am »
Not Sure how they could continue the series. Rome 2 maybe, or something new? Empire 2 (set in the 19th century)?

Still plenty to do.

Although, judging from the last games, it will probably be Rome 2 or something even more early(You know, there was that Rome addon called Alexander, I think they could stretch that timeline a bit and make a wonderful new game out of it).

Otherwise, they might even try out a fantasy setting or something more modern or even futuristic.

Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 01:07:25 am »

Shogun 2 didnt do any of that, and it was hugely well received. It was basically a dumbed down version of the cool ones like Rome and Medieval 2. They will probably continue down this road. SERIES = DEAD!

So I'm stuck with playing Medieval 2 mods for the rest of my life.
Teeth. Ugghhhh " insert a picture witha dissapointed face here " .

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 01:10:28 am »
Shogun 2 was hands down the worst of the series so far.It´s even slightly worse than empire was.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 11:04:56 am »
Shogun 2 was hands down the worst of the series so far.It´s even slightly worse than empire was.
Empire was the worst due to overcomplicating everything imo.

Shogun 2 was half-decent (closer to bad) because instead of paying a tribute to the original total war game they went for a more simplified version of medieval Japan and a completely unbalanced multiplayer (should've been called Monk :Total War). Blaming it for similar faction rosters is just plain stupid though, i don't recall Scipio, Brutus and Julius families in Rome having much unit variety between them. It's one nation after all. No denying though, they could've done their research better and SHOULD've improved the AI greatly to compensate for the lack of variety.

But  single-player wise Shogun 2 can be enjoyable after all, with mods (try DarthMod, improves the game (AI too) vastly) and  multiplayer battles can still be fun and tactical from time to time.

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 11:10:58 am »
Im playing third age total war. One word: EPIC! unbalanced but hey, middle earth wasnt balanced XD

For instance if you play dwarves its just like they describe them in the books: Sitting in their mountains not giving a shit, having an occasional brawl with the orcs - thats what you will be doing.

Gondor is too hard imo, you dont get enough money to support a good defense. Have been playing dale now: Dale OP, their generals bodyguards are armored op long range archers/sword and board. I literaly have like 10 generals in one army, and generals bodyguard army retrains the soldiers on their own.  8-)
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 02:15:14 pm »
Im playing third age total war. One word: EPIC! unbalanced but hey, middle earth wasnt balanced XD

For instance if you play dwarves its just like they describe them in the books: Sitting in their mountains not giving a shit, having an occasional brawl with the orcs - thats what you will be doing.

Gondor is too hard imo, you dont get enough money to support a good defense. Have been playing dale now: Dale OP, their generals bodyguards are armored op long range archers/sword and board. I literaly have like 10 generals in one army, and generals bodyguard army retrains the soldiers on their own.  8-)

Ye ive been playing TLD (the last days) and Gondor isnt too hard, ive managed to push Mordor out of E.Osgiliath and even taken Minas Morgul and am attacking Bara Dur, good Ol retarde Boromir and Faramir, however they are fucking expensive to upkeep and recruit (archers take 2 turns), my cities have like no defence in them so im kinda screwed if i get attacked

Interesting, unusual views. I personally thought Napoleon was everything that ETW should have been. ETW was buggy as hell and they changed aspects of it every few days with patches. Napoleon was the finished product, polished and interesting from every aspect. MW1 was probably my favourite of all the games, I was to young to really understand the original Shogun. After MTW comes Rome, then NTW, then Shogun 2 and then M2 and ETW.

Eh? Did you ever play the original shogun? All the units were relatively the same then. It's because Japan didn't have an entirely large variety of units in that period, it's got nothing to do with whether the future TW games will have variety or not. But everyone wanted them to remake Shogun...so that's why it was so well received.

I didint play the first Medieval or the first Shogun, but Rome was the first i properly played when it was released and so i kinda guess my love for the game has stayed with me for years, as for napoleon i dont know why i just didnlt like it overly, empire got boring after long periods of play but it was always a laugh to go back and play.

It also introduced the good and updated multiplayer, a wee bit buggy but it led to NTW and STW2 being able to adapt that and be the success they have been
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 02:17:34 pm by SirCymro_Crusader »