Author Topic: CROSSBOWS.  (Read 4581 times)

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
Re: CROSSBOWS.
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2011, 05:13:17 pm »
but i just noticed that the newest update fucked the  accuracy of my bow thx no acc bonus for mws. :evil:

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2011, 05:23:14 pm »
No, the newest update fixed a bug from last patch which broke archery wpf reduction with high PD.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2011, 05:24:47 pm »
Archery was overpowered yesterday?

What can our Mr.Statistic say?

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2011, 05:25:58 pm »
my mw longbow ingame have 100 accuracy, like the normal longbow.
the site says it have 102???

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2011, 05:33:08 pm »
It's prolly a display error ingame.

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2011, 07:54:17 pm »
Currently with 160 crossbow, a masterwork arbalest and a haubergeon, hitting a standing target at 20m is a dice roll.  The reticle is large enough for the bolt to capably pass to either side of the target.  The previous accuracy nerf was acceptable, as with proficiency you could still maintain a degree of accuracy, but things are now starting to get crippling.

Well then you should go and train a bit o.O   Never heard of anyone who has problems over such a small distance with a mw arbalest and 160wpf

Btw Paul and Sebastian, what are you actually talking about?  I somehow missed the aim of your discussion^^

Offline _Sebastian_

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Lazy Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Bad Bug Busters
  • Faction: Flat-Earth Reptilian
  • Game nicks: Fenris_Sebastian
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2011, 08:23:34 pm »
No, the newest update fixed a bug from last patch which broke archery wpf reduction with high PD.
I was wondering why my crosshair was nearly closed, and why my aim was for 4sec accurate. :wink:

The playable area in ruins is 100x100 m, so assuming the spawns are at upper left and lower right corners, the distance between them is ~141m.
The playable area is 230x230 m... I measured it in the map editor.
On big maps it is 680x680 m.

Btw Paul and Sebastian, what are you actually talking about?  I somehow missed the aim of your discussion^^
We are testing out, who knows the most about ranged weapons :P
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 08:41:20 pm by _Sebastian_ »

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2011, 09:12:27 pm »
The playable area is 230x230 m... I measured it in the map editor.
On big maps it is 680x680 m.

My bad, read the wrong values. It's not 250 m from spawn to spawn though, more like 190/200 (you can check spawn point coords in edit-mode).

Offline Fasader

• Vain onion-eyed pigeon egg
  • Count
  • Renown: 268
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • Item unbalancer
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fasader, Mlatimir, Fasadripac, Modnar
  • IRC nick: Fasader
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2011, 05:07:38 am »
+2
italian public schools not teaching little giuseppes how to read!
21:33:22 BaldRider: Poem submission: okiN is fat, chadz is blue, Fasader is pretty sexy, but not you.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

https://soundcloud.com/shitfactory/father-and-panos

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2011, 06:34:37 am »
@Paul: sure he missed, he is firing a warbow with over 200 pound draw, and despite the hype hes given by the show, hes pretty scrawny: Hes lucky he hit it at all with that bow. A bow of 200 pound draw, at under 100 yards, is 1shotkill anything in the way: Plate armour might not be penetrated by flatheads but the force of the blow will still render the receiver out of action. So unless you gonna give archers knockdown, dont use real life as a basis for any balance discussion. Cause if you did, you would also need to implement: Hornbow needs MASSIVE nerf or unusable on horseback tag, since it can oneshot anyone up to 20 armour/10 STR with right arrows, walking thru a river with a bow or crossbow INSTANTLY makes them despawn (to represent how they instantly become unusable), crossbows need a random chance that when they are fired the crossbow malfunctions and is despawned, archers need to occasianally "fluff" their draws and need to re-knock, any armour over weight, say, 10, causes running/swinging/blocking speed to drop over the course of the round, so plate wearers are barely moving by round end, since they sprint everywhere all the time. Hmmm what else....O yeah when someone with a 6foot greatsword "feints", the bones in their wrist pop out of joint from the massive torque they recieve, taking 2 javelins into your shield makes it despawn since the ENTIRE purpose of jarids was to make opponents shield too unbalanced to use...hmmm, horses take dmg when bumping armoured opponents, and they slow as they take dmg.....hmm, what else what else....give bows block, but make their bow take dmg like a shield does, so they can block if they like, but they risk the bow....

Or you guys could concentrate on making the game fun again by giving choices: currently, to be effective, realistically the vast majority of players need: German GS/Hornbow/Warbow/Poleaxe/Hafted Blade/Scimitar/GL axe or similar: WHY are there so many weapon on the market if only a few are gonna be effective...

Also, polestun: a mechanic so native spearmen can occasianally kill an archer, doesnt need to be here. Why should being thwacked with a staff stun me more than being sideswiped by a morningstar? I reckon opposite is true...so many more things but its 6.30 am and I got to be up at 8....o dear forum why you make me no sleep?!

EDIT: one more: reloading a heavy crossbow or arbalest on dirt or earth when its raining: instant despawn as the winch is full of mud and unusable. Crossbows were really delicate and very unreliable, and their accuracy is greatly overstated in this game.

Oh and btw: I can hit stationary target with a handgun at 200 yards 9/10, with my 90" longbow I can shoot a 6foot group at 100 yards: ppl in real life cannot instantly change direction while wearing armour like they can in crpg: archery is LESS effective than real life when it comes to dmg and accuracy, but even with the animations now, you cannot simulate the drawing of a bow: sometimes you can fly arrows out, accurately, every 5 seconds, sometimes everything is going wrong and you get only 3 out in a minute.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 06:42:54 am by BlindGuy »
I don't know enough

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2011, 09:00:02 am »
I stopped reading at the 200 pound thingy.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2011, 09:03:45 am »
ppl in real life cannot instantly change direction while wearing armour like they can in crpg

Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2011, 12:52:40 pm »
(click to show/hide)

@Paul: why, you think you could survive being shot by the English warbow (a longbow of 180 pounds or more draw)?

Cause, maybe you could, but you wouldnt be fighting anyone...you'd need some serious bedrest.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 12:56:02 pm by BlindGuy »
I don't know enough

Offline Inkompetent

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Inkompetent, Ildov_Morekov, Fairhair_Sigurdr, MySushi_Inkomoto
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2011, 12:57:04 pm »
@Paul: why, you think you could survive being shot by the English warbow (a longbow of 180 pounds or more draw)?

If at 50+ meters distance and in proper plate I can't see why not, as long as the arrow doesn't hit a glitch or weak spot. Since the game doesn't model those we got a bit of an issue though.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2011, 01:14:41 pm »
I personally doubt that longbows above 160 lbs were used. More likely it was between 120 and 150 lbs, which are still very hard to draw. Many longbow archers were peasants who had to be forced by their king to train once a week. That guy in the video is a trained smith who probably has a more meat on his dinner plate in a month than the peasant in his lifetime. I'm sure he also practises archery more than the historical archer. I'd go as far to say that the best and strongest archers of all time live today.

So unless there was a secret forgotten longbow crafting technique that jacked up the bow efficiency up to composite bow levels, the test conducted today show the true nature ability of the longbow with up to 140 lbs draw weight and v0 = 50-60 m/s . The estimated upper draw weight limit for the Mary Rose bows of 200 lbs are fiction in my opinion. And even then a 200 lbs (one material) longbow wouldn't have a higher v0 or range. It would just be able to launch heavier arrows at about the same speed as weaker longbows launch lighter arrows. The starting velocity is limited by the "spring speed" of the material. This is kind of circumvented by composite bows though.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 01:22:58 pm by Paul »