Poll

Freeze strategus each international Holiday and settle a "Vacation Mode"

Definetely Yes
I Fear chadz ANGER!
No I'm a nolife , and i will be the first to get to level 60
I Love you Cosmos Shielder , i'm going to send you free heirloom through Market
Unbann Panos

Author Topic: CRPG taking over REAL life  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Boerenlater

• Marshall
  • Renown: 728
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player
  • Jebem ti život!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boerenlater
Re: CRPG taking over REAL life
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 10:11:21 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2011, 10:15:14 pm »
+3
lets just not play strat at all ?

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 10:23:59 pm »
+2
Tot. Vacation mode should not just be because of christians. I'm not a christian, yet at this occation I always go stay with my family.
The world have lots of traditions on separate dates. I believe we should be able to find 3-5 dates and makes attacks impossible there.

The real question is whether or not we want casuals to play this game. I can say for sure that I would not sacrifice an evening with my family for playing strat. Odds are that a lot of player are doing that on christmas... staying with their familiy that is. Each cultures have traditions.

Would you not like the chance to be with your dear on those traditional evenings? Whether christmas or new years eve or el ayed (or what ever it's called).

Exploiting these traditions in the game is from my point of view one of the most foul actions. It shows a total disregard for "fun".
It show that it is more important to own digital land and win more than having fun and fair play. And lets not discuss other peoples exploits.
Lets discuss shit when we examine shit, and lets discuss puke when we examine puke.
Do I need to say what kind of category we're examining now?

National cultural traiditional evenings such as new years eve and christmas should not be exploitable. If they are, they are the surest way to scare away any player from strat. I find it quite abhorable.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 10:25:58 pm by Aemaelius »
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2011, 10:25:50 pm »
and No Xmas isnt an international holiday.

Haha...actually it is  :| There are a significant number of Christians in the vast majority of countries in the world, and for many, they do have time off for Christmas Day, and in many, more importantly Easter weekend.

Though in Britain for example the tradition goes far beyond Christianity. It's simply a mid-winter festival designed to gorge yourself, restock your fats, and pretty much prevent you from getting to depressed in the darkest days of the year.

But yeah, I'd agree for a vacation mode of some sort, but naturally there would have to be a limit. Maybe a certain number of days each (time frame) that you can't be attacked. This wouldn't be overly exploitable and would help for the casual players who don't want to be no lifers to enjoy strat.

There's a reason why most pro-longed gaming tournaments I've ever played have the Christmas period off.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 10:30:55 pm by Overdriven »

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2011, 10:33:54 pm »
+1
crpg taking over what?

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2011, 10:43:29 pm »
O looky at all the countries that have holidays today! And guess what the majority of those holidays are  :rolleyes:

http://www.earthcalendar.net/_php/lookup.php?mode=date&m=12&d=25&y=2011

Edit:

If you take that list as fact, there's about 130 countries there that celebrate Christmas Day, out of around 190 countries in the world in total. Not an international holiday my arse.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 10:47:48 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Herkkutatti

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2011, 10:51:11 pm »
Druzhina attacking in christmas eve , 7 day inactivity get your ass teleported to nowhere
Maybe it's time to consider players as Real Human Being , and give them the ability to take a break.
Why not making Strategus frozen during Christmas (which is an international off day) and give the ability to have an 'Vacation mode" in strat that freeze you and prevent people from attacking you when you are having vacation with your family?
I think that we shouldn't leave CRPG to No-Life and let people also enjoy their real life
  derp . Russians Doesn't have xmas, they have day called beat the Turks day, thats also true story check russian holidays on wikipedia :D
/l
(゚、 。 7
l、 ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ Nerf archery ,please!

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2011, 11:01:17 pm »
considering most major strat battles happen at times that most people would be working or sleeping it looks like a no lifers game already :P so who cares :D you can have your holiday times but ill still never be at any strat battles so im not really that botherd  :P
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 11:02:29 pm by Osiris »
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2011, 11:38:16 pm »
then you could give your towns to people who suddenly go on holiday.
and No Xmas isnt an international holiday.

if we stop strat for that then what next? Thanksgiving, your independance day. St patricks day?

It's celebrated in more than one country, therefore it is an international holiday.  It's not a universal holiday.  I would say that the majority of players come from countries that celebrate Christmas.  The suggestion to take a Christmas break is a good one.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2011, 11:40:07 pm »
+1
I don't get the part where you demand that the Earth should stop spinning because of a special day for christians. Also, I can't really think of any actual international holiday except for the new year, which also occurs differently in different timezones.

:lol: @ bolded, so what you're saying is, Strategus is your life?

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2011, 01:03:19 am »
A holiday timer seems like a good idea in theory, though in practice I see an opportunity for abuse unless this game mechanic is thoroughly, thoroughly planned out. Example: You're about to be attacked, and suddenly decide to take a vacation. In the mean time, your allies move in to reinforce you with troops and supplies. Even if you pause for a holiday, this doesn't stop other strategus players from doing shit. And just making Christmas a day for no strategus action would be totally unfair--there are other fucking people, who celebrate other fucking holidays on this planet than you. What holiday's count, then? Which one's "aren't important enough"? Who gets fucked, and who doesn't, in this system?

The absolute best solution to the issue involves not having to create any sort of game mechanic; the players should simply take it upon themselves to be respectful and knowledgeable of each others major secular and religious celebrations. Of course, this doesn't always work--as the recent Druzhina attack demonstrate.

However I might point out that OP's point is that "strategus isn't my life". Oh no, you lost some video game territory and equipment because you were attacked, and poor little you just had to place your fucking family first. Boo hoo. Your lost troops and equipment should seem inconsequential when seen in light of the happiness you experience when you are with your friends and family over the holidays. The offending attacker, whether acting from ignorance or victory-lust, will have lost more in prestige and respect than you could have possibly lost in in-game assets.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Cosmos_Shielder

• Baron
  • Renown: 137
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • French Connection Leader
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pecores
  • Game nicks: Roland De Gilead
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2011, 01:51:32 am »
A holiday timer seems like a good idea in theory, though in practice I see an opportunity for abuse unless this game mechanic is thoroughly, thoroughly planned out. Example: You're about to be attacked, and suddenly decide to take a vacation. In the mean time, your allies move in to reinforce you with troops and supplies. Even if you pause for a holiday, this doesn't stop other strategus players from doing shit. And just making Christmas a day for no strategus action would be totally unfair--there are other fucking people, who celebrate other fucking holidays on this planet than you. What holiday's count, then? Which one's "aren't important enough"? Who gets fucked, and who doesn't, in this system?

The absolute best solution to the issue involves not having to create any sort of game mechanic; the players should simply take it upon themselves to be respectful and knowledgeable of each others major secular and religious celebrations. Of course, this doesn't always work--as the recent Druzhina attack demonstrate.

However I might point out that OP's point is that "strategus isn't my life". Oh no, you lost some video game territory and equipment because you were attacked, and poor little you just had to place your fucking family first. Boo hoo. Your lost troops and equipment should seem inconsequential when seen in light of the happiness you experience when you are with your friends and family over the holidays. The offending attacker, whether acting from ignorance or victory-lust, will have lost more in prestige and respect than you could have possibly lost in in-game assets.
Ogame has more than 70 server. Do you really think that they didn't planned it to be in exploitable.
The vacation mode in ogame work like that : if you put up vacation mode , every fleet en-route to attack the vacation guy still make their attack.
So if you put your vacation mode when someone in strategus is following you to attack you , the attack still happen.
So people wouldn't be able to put vacation mode to avoid attack. Moreover fief wouldn't be concerned by vacation mode. Or vacation mode for fief should cost a lot of money , besides the fact that the fief produces nothing while it

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2011, 02:04:24 am »
:lol: @ bolded, so what you're saying is, Strategus is your life?

It's not, that's why I dont care enough to make complain-threads about it.
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Spartacus

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2011, 08:31:24 am »
So thats NA, why do you care about EU? Are you trying to export freedom?