Poll

Do you follow tactics in cRPG?

Yes, I do whenever I can
51 (35.4%)
Yes, I often do, when the plan seems reasonable to me
57 (39.6%)
I would, but most plans seem bad to me
12 (8.3%)
I don't like to follow some people on the internet, who made them the boss?
10 (6.9%)
I don't like tactics, as it usually involves a lot of camping and it's boring
14 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 144

Author Topic: Do you miss tactics in cRPG?  (Read 4231 times)

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
Re: Do you miss tactics in cRPG?
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2011, 09:20:57 pm »
Concerning Berserk's statement:

Perhaps my IQ is that high (or at least was when I was a kid, I believe this changes), but I absolved my A-level with a grade of 3.2 (in a system from 1.0 to 6.0, where 1 is the best and everything below 4.0 is not passed), so indeed this very theoretical value says little about someone. That's my opinion, at least.

Concerning tactics:

I don't know who wrote it already, but he was right: my basic understanding of tactics is zerging. Outnumbering the enemy in a certain place and moment, weakening the enemy team and thus finishing off the rest more easily.

Usually a team wins by default if it's got more people with better skill. In this case tactics are not needed. The purpose of tactics is to counter skill (or at least certain concentrations of classes on the enemy team, e.g. 50% archers or cavalry), and in real life you have several options to do so: outnumbering, lowering the enemie's morale/cause disorder, defending a superior position, e.g. walls or fences and so on. But many of those tactics don't work in Warband. Morale and disorder do have an impact, but you will never have them run for their life like in real life. Also the advantages of holding higher ground or a small wall/fence are not that severe like in real life, let alone the shield wall which indeed does only little to help a team. (If I suggest a shield wall ingame it's only some kind of "bait" to attract as many players as possible to keep them together, as shield walls magically attract not only enemy missiles but also many players)

So basically all that's left is outnumbering the enemy in a certain spot. The correct use of bottlenecks is nothing else than this.

My understanding of tactics is limited on where to place the three branches infantry, cavalry and archers, and when to have them attack. (It's actually not so different to real medieval tactics for about 1000 years  :?  :lol: )

Before the slot system was introduced I often took a siege ladder and two siege shields with me, next to my main weapon. Usually I rushed forward as fast as possible and placed the ladder on the biggest and highest roof with cover towards the enemy, and the siege shields on the ground below. Usually the ladder indeed tended to attract most of the archers, and a lot of infantry players somehow like siege shields and like to wait behind them until the enemy has approached. This is what I try to achieve, as the archers can support the infantry from above rather well, and all I can do is to pray to god that the cavalry will remain patient and wait with its attack until the melee has begun.

Usually this is my understanding of tactics, in fact it doesn't even deserve its name, in my eyes it's basic behaviour like taking cover in Counter Strike. And still I could connect to the server in any moment and record a team which will lose one round after another without need, never mind if skills are good or not. It's like some kind of team sport, e.g. Soccer. You could put all the best players of the world into one team, they will most likely lose against a team that knows each others and follows a certain plan. (I know this example has a few flaws, but I hope it shows what I want to say).

If everybody knows what he has to do, things go much better, and the game gains more depth and fun. And there is no reason people can't learn that "unwritten, gamespecific behaviour", I know many other games where most people do the right thing, not because the tutorial told them to do so but because they learned it this way by playing with others.

And even this "mindless charging and spamming" seems reasonable at the first glance, perhaps, but if you think properly you will probably have even more to spam if you stick to your teammates, as you won't die that fast. And yes, you will have to wait longer for your melee to begin, but on the other hand you will spend less time in spectator mode, being back in action much faster. So you actually pay the possibility to spam more during the entire map with a waiting a little longer in the first round of each map. To me this sounds like a good deal, in every way superior to the lemming-alternative, even if you want to have a "relaxed" game.

I fear this post again sounded like I wanted to teach you the truth, actually I really want to understand what makes people charge the enemy on their own. The will to win the map can't be it, the will to have fun in melee can't be it, so what is it?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 09:25:18 pm by Joker86 »
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2011, 10:11:09 pm »
I fear this post again sounded like I wanted to teach you the truth, actually I really want to understand what makes people charge the enemy on their own. The will to win the map can't be it, the will to have fun in melee can't be it, so what is it?
D'aww, you didn't read my post. :(

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2011, 10:31:43 pm »
D'aww, you didn't read my post. :(

I did.

but other times i just feel like charging into a mass of enemies and spam. Doesn't make me a moron, just a bored guy looking for a DIFFERENT kind of fun.

The point is: when do you do this?

If when the big melee has started: I am perfectly fine with people jumping between enemies and slashing left and right, considering the effort it's a very viable tactic, and often enough your enemies hurt each other as much as you do.

If before the melee started, as soon after spawning as possible: Do you say your different kind of fun is:

- Spawning
- Running for 30 sec.
- Fighting for 5 sec., killing one enemy at most
- spending 5 minutes in spectator mode
- spawning
?

If yes, then I still don't understand where the fun lies. You pay those 5 seconds of spamming with 5 minutes of waiting? And contributing to sticking on x1 multiplier?

Again, I don't want to offend anybody, it's just how it looks like when I see those guys who seem to have the [W]-key being stuck. All they do is running and respawning.  :?  :?:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 10:33:09 pm by Joker86 »

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2011, 10:42:52 pm »
It is trying to pull off that sweet rambo killing-machine frag-streak. When you succeed at that, then it is super fun. Very different from killing a lot of peeps in a smart way.

Offline Jackelsano

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • I die alot, doesn't stop me from trying though.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shaodanis - Archer, Wolvenkrad - Shield/1 Hander.
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2011, 01:05:44 am »
This is the golden advice. I remember the glory days when Fallens did our "Fallen tactic shit" almost every round under command from our glorious general Ramses. Extremely fun stuff.

I happily would if I could, but being in AUS severely limits my access to EU and NA Factions. And I'll be damned if I have to join AEF. I was thinking of joining your rabble of villains, Everkistus but lag problems will ensue on EU/NA servers. On a good day I get 210m/s on a EU server. Perhaps it might be the distance the data has to relay, or my laptop is stuck on Eco Mode, limiting my internet's capabilities. (If your asking, I dried out the thermal solution that cools the CPU. Or it could be lint in the fan) Either way, I'll try to see what happens.

Pro tip: Don't ever play games on laptops. EVAH.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2011, 02:15:19 am »
Acre used to do tactics on NA and EU quite often. Fun times they were.
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2011, 02:27:18 am »
Doesn't make me a moron, just a bored guy looking for a DIFFERENT kind of fun.

Well, if there wasn't a team which you're part of and for which fate you're partially responsible I'd say it alright. But when you realize that most people play to win, and they're having most fun, if not only then, when they're winning then you surely can alter your plans of constant lemming-behavior.

Nothing - nothing - is more infuriating for me than seeing a nice bunch of teammates guarding ie. a gate switch room in an inpenetrable formation and then they all start running off to charge head-on 5, 6 or more enemies, simply one by one, and dying while trying to fight impossible odds. Then the rest gets overwhelmed, everyone lose their multi and the money. And all that could be to be honest avoided if Warband had voice communication system, positional Mumble-like would be just perfect.

That's what it all comes down to in my opinion, lack of communication. People will become less dumb when they're told what to do to succeed and play smart. The chat is absolutely not enough.
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2011, 02:49:56 am »
+1
"Acre used to do tactics on NA and EU quite often. Fun times they were. "

pfft please. All Acre ever used to do was find a spot and camp it with xbows untill everyone else on the team was dead. thats not tactics thats called being dicks. Many times ive seen entire servers raging at you guys because on maps like field by the river 5-7 acre guys would run off to a spot miles away from the combat to xbow camp thus losing us the round :D

Simple fact is if you want full scale tactics then the only place you will find that is clan vs clan battles or strat :P If you lust for tactics so much join a clan and get squad tactics going :P 4-5 guys moving in a unit can have a large impact if they help each other out
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2011, 03:08:55 am »
"Acre used to do tactics on NA and EU quite often. Fun times they were. "

pfft please. All Acre ever used to do was find a spot and camp it with xbows untill everyone else on the team was dead. thats not tactics thats called being dicks. Many times ive seen entire servers raging at you guys because on maps like field by the river 5-7 acre guys would run off to a spot miles away from the combat to xbow camp thus losing us the round :D

Simple fact is if you want full scale tactics then the only place you will find that is clan vs clan battles or strat :P If you lust for tactics so much join a clan and get squad tactics going :P 4-5 guys moving in a unit can have a large impact if they help each other out

I remember that, too. That was the beginning of 2011 or so and prior. About January or February we started to move around the map as a group instead of hold a spot. So no, we didn't "find a spot and camp it with xbows" all the time. In fact, we ceased to do that a long time ago. I was simply reminiscing the teamwork that Acre displayed. From 2010's camping to 2011's running around as a group. In any case, we were at least utilizing teamwork. :D

EDIT: You remember when the Templars and Acre held that roof and camped the shit out of it one round? That was hilarious. heh

In any case, teamwork isn't displayed enough in cRPG anymore. Although, Occitan did flank one round on a map on NA like yesterday... sadly that's all the "tactics" I've seen in a long while.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 03:10:19 am by Reinhardt »
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • Renown: 424
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Murmillus_Prime
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2011, 03:18:27 am »
Holding [W] and spamming is the most honourable method of combat. There is no deception in open combat just a life or death situation, if your team-mates are alert they can help keep you alive (from being back-stabbed) or by supporting you when you find yourself outnumbered, this is where the key to winning a charge lies, whether team-mates are alert enough to help one another, and whether they're careful enough to not team-kill each-other.

Let's face it, the faster we all die the quicker the multiplier changes, if for benefit then great, instead of waiting 6 minutes to get x3 you now only had to wait 2, and I have to admit unless I'm on my HA alt, I find long drawn out rounds, ending with 2-3 scattered archers/inf extremely irritating.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 03:19:38 am by Murmillus_Prime »
Dumbfuck.Fuckwit.Cuntshit.Brickfuck.

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2011, 05:22:54 am »
For me I generally like field battles (random plains maps).

Why? For a few reasons. Tactics are usually used a lot more on these maps than any other. There's no roof camping to worry about and whilst cav are going to be a force of annoyance they can be hopefully neutralised as part of the plan/tactics.

I agree that most shield walls are silly and ppl will stand in them until death.

Also the amount of tactics that can be used are very limited.

Im sure someone wrote a guide about tactics in crpg (phaz maybe?) and he mentioned that you need to give very simple orders like "go right" "go left" "hold hill" etc.

With flags it can be a bit easier if ppl follow the flag carrier but quite often when they move, the archers are left behind (bcos they have tunnel vision and cant read/see?)

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2011, 02:48:15 pm »
+1
Quote battle between me and Joker86, probably uninteresting for everyone else and derailing the topic anyway:

(click to show/hide)

Sorry for the late reply, I've only had sporadic computer access.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 02:51:50 pm by Dezilagel »

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2011, 04:05:36 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2011, 04:52:10 pm »
+1
Okay, to "generalize" my statements then:

You're acting like a fucking idiot thinking yourself better/smarter/more intelligent then anyone else on the premise that you "use your brainpower" in your free time, in fact, in a game where in most situations people don't even WANT to use it but where there are situations (strat, clan battles) where it is displayed quite extensively through the use of advanced tactics. Add to that the irony in the fact that you don't seem to be smart/educated enough to realize the blatant idiocy in calling someone "sub-par intelligent" WITHOUT EVEN DEFINING INTELLIGENCE and not thinking about, to continue your example, how today's children have improved in other areas of knowledge, such as language, the use of technology and awareness of global and ethical issues. Which might just be more RELEVANT then your narrow, ignorant, dated definition of what it means to be intelligent (oh sorry, I had to assume that since you weren't able to come up with a proper definition).

I can understand that you cba to reply to my entire post, but just answer my one question about the guy who couldn't tie his shoes nor conduct a normal conversation, but who was a math genius and I'll be satisfied. Idiot or genius?

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2011, 05:10:45 pm »