Author Topic: Advice on avoiding teamhitting?  (Read 1177 times)

Offline john_pullinger

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boreal_V, John, Dogtanian, Lexor, Cobalt, Toissonador, Flip_it and Sir_Arn, poor Sir_Arn.
Advice on avoiding teamhitting?
« on: December 22, 2011, 11:31:07 am »
I come with a humble request.

In the last few evenings I've played cRPG with Cobalt, I've been getting an embarrassingly high proportion of teamhits and consequent teamkills. Cobalt is a strength build and I often have trouble stopping his weapon when it starts swinging, and enemies dance around me like Muhammad Ali. Couple that with a machine that's over 6 years old and has trouble reaching smooth framerates on the majority of maps and I have a horribly hard time trying to keep track of everything in the thick of melee.

I really don't want to hurt my teammates. Please, given that I have jerky graphics and a slow-moving character, can anyone give me advice on how to avoid hitting my teammates? I want people to feel they can depend on me, not have to avoid me because I might clot them by accident with a mallet. Thanks.

-John

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on avoiding teamhitting?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 11:39:24 am »
Weapon stopping is instant (not counting lag) afaik, IF you're not using an unbalanced weapon. My suggestion: avoid zergs and enemy encounters where the enemy is outnumbered; for example no point in trying to get the kill hit on a guy that's being gangbanged by 4 of your teammates already, just find a new target and leave those guys to TK eachother.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 11:41:07 am by Vibe »

Offline john_pullinger

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boreal_V, John, Dogtanian, Lexor, Cobalt, Toissonador, Flip_it and Sir_Arn, poor Sir_Arn.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 11:50:39 am »
Unfortunately my favourite weapons are unbalanced... Cobalt was designed as a shieldbreaker, so I lug the Sarranid war axe around half the time, and when I get sick of being stabbed by quick, long weapons before I can get a swing in, I switch to a mallet.

I'll try to avoid zergs, but it's not always easy on siege mode, which is my favourite type of server. x_o

Thankyou for the tips though, I'll take all the advice I can get.

-John

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 11:51:36 am »
Only overheads and stabs, no sideswinging, but thats normal for most players anyway when there's a gangbang.

Offline john_pullinger

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 12:19:19 pm »
Thanks Nic, I've been trying to do that and I'll continue avoiding side swings, it's just that both friends and enemies are jostling around and I can't keep track of them with my framerate (I wouldn't be surprised if my motherboard was glaciating my mouse inputs, too), so overheads aren't even that safe in the hairballs. x_o

-John

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 12:41:53 pm »
If its your hardware that denies you being a dependable player then save some money and buy a new one. Anyway, if you're afraid of teamhitting you could also try to just threaten the enemy player. What I mean is, just have your overhead ready (hold mouse button) and let your allies hit the enemy. Only release the button if you're sure you wont hit your ally. You'll be a constant threat to your enemy (nobody likes having a mallet in the face) and he has to watch your overhead all the time while also having to block other attacks. Be ready to block though, especially against agi spammers.

Offline john_pullinger

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 01:48:53 pm »
That's good advice. I know I get nervous around crushthrough weapons.

Did I mention I'm terrible at blocking? X-D Need to level up again and put some points into Ironflesh. ¬_¬

Edit: It'll be a while before I can upgrade my PC, unfortunately. But when I can afford it, then I'll definitely upgrade, lol.

-John
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 01:49:58 pm by john_pullinger »

Offline Renten

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 10:31:34 pm »
There are several performance mods you can use that although reducing the visual appeal to the game can give you 40+fps. Especially if you move down to dx7.

Second, overheads are way dangerous with team mates around, as they love to run right in front of you at the most inopportune moments.  It helps to have enough athletics to body block your team mates from doing this, but as a strength build you are probably too slow.  The best I can give you is that you can sometimes spin away from the TK even when it looks like it should of hit, which does better since you usually can't cancel the attack in time. With a short weapon back stepping also does good, along with reducing the damage slightly.

Mostly team mates need to realize you can 1 hit them and to stay out of your damn way.

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 12:37:08 am »
get a flamberge, spamm

you'll see, no ally will want to be near you

on a serious note: only hang with people you know a bit, and just chamber your attack , waiting, swing only when you are certain it will hit.

if it's about crappy comp... try performance mode or faith. 
So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 01:02:48 am »
Yeah best bet is to hold off until the scramble has begun and then charge through it and into the thier lines. Then swing like a loonatic.

Other than that be patient, tanks are great support chars but unless you are using a pike or a long sword I find they aren't great for the scramble. Also when I say support, I mean last line or suicied squad.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline john_pullinger

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 01:27:30 pm »
Thanks for the advice, guys, much appreciated.

I do have a habit of wading into the enemy (usually after getting over the top of a ladder in siege mode) and just swinging madly because I know no teammates are near me. I am too slow to body block them, unfortunately. :-( And you know how it is, the enemy's a good player and blocks the guy he's fighting, then makes to attack him and suddenly leaps out at you instead because you're waiting with a swing ready and are trying to move around your teammate. Even when I can see that coming a mile off, it still normally gets me because I'm slow and I can't flipping block. >_<

Good advice though, all, I'll try to employ it.

Merry Christmas!

-John