Author Topic: The fastest way to level up - for new players  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 682
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
The fastest way to level up - for new players
« on: December 22, 2011, 11:17:36 am »
I've noticed a lot of new players recently, probably from the steam sale, and wanted to share my opinion on how to level up fast.  Here it is:

I think the fastest way to level up and earn gold is by playing on the siege servers.  The rounds can go by quickly so your multiplier has the chance to ramp up and down more often.  The maps on the battle servers don't tend to give one team an advantage over another like they can on siege servers, so I think it's a little harder to get x5's for long periods of time on battle servers.

Also, if you go into the menu where you can change your characters face and banner and choose "use faction banner", you won't get team switched from offense to defense as often.  Whenever I have this selected I always stay as either defender or attacker for the duration of every map.  So if you end up on the right team for a couple siege maps in a row there's a good chance of rolling x5's for long periods of time.  On the other hand, you could be on the side that's getting x1 for long periods of time without getting team switched, so "use faction banner" does carry this risk. 

As an added bonus on siege servers, you only have to wait 30 seconds at the most to get back into the fight.  So you get a lot more practice blocking and fighting than you would on battle servers where you might die fast and have to wait a couple minutes for every round to end.  If anyone wants to make the argument for battle instead, please do, but I think siege is the way to go if you want to level up faster and get more practice while building up your character.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: The fastest way to level up - for new players
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 11:22:55 am »
+2
Wrong. Battle is best for leveling up and gold. Siege balance switches you around too much to keep a constant multiplier. Also too dependant on using banners or big clans.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 11:24:14 am by Vibe »

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 12:22:14 pm »
Wrong. Battle is best for leveling up and gold. Siege balance switches you around too much to keep a constant multiplier. Also too dependant on using banners or big clans.

Also, if you go into the menu where you can change your characters face and banner and choose "use faction banner", you won't get team switched from offense to defense as often.  Whenever I have this selected I always stay as either defender or attacker for the duration of every map.  So if you end up on the right team for a couple siege maps in a row there's a good chance of rolling x5's for long periods of time.  On the other hand, you could be on the side that's getting x1 for long periods of time without getting team switched, so "use faction banner" does carry this risk. 

Have you tried the "use faction banner" thing mentioned above?  You're in a clan that has a banner so I'm assuming you haven't tried this option recently.  It works most of the time for everyone I've recommended it to, so far. 

Also, I don't know how it is on EU servers but on NA servers the clans usually play battle, not siege.  Any server a big clan works together on will be more likely to give them a good multiplier and at the moment NA clans usually play battle, so which side wins on the siege server usually just comes down to the map itself and whichever side has better random teams.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 02:33:21 pm »
Siege is NOT good for leveling up and earning gold, simply because of one Thing:

Clans steamrolling the Server.Ive seen it so often - big part of one clan joins the server, get in one team because of Bannerbalance and just rape the other side and roll x5 all day.

If you are on their side, fine, but if not, you will get almost nought.

Siege is only an option if you either like that gamemode very well OR if you want to level up your character without ruining it´s stats(Kills and deaths on siege wont count towards your KD on the website)

This means for Starters, it should always be the battle server.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 08:32:37 pm »
Siege is NOT good for leveling up and earning gold, simply because of one Thing:

Clans steamrolling the Server.Ive seen it so often - big part of one clan joins the server, get in one team because of Bannerbalance and just rape the other side and roll x5 all day.

That actually sounds like a good opportunity for a new player.  All they would have to do is switch their banner the same one as the clan rolling x5's and get on that xp train.

On the NA servers, the DL used to play siege in large group it didn't matter what side they were on, they would roll x5's all night because they were working together and arriving at the flag in a large group or camping it.  Now the only clan that plays NA siege on a regular basis is a group of 5-6 french canadians who are all melee builds so they can win really easily if they stay balanced together.  I use the "use faction banner" option so I don't team switched and it seems like they get throw back and forth from one side to another more frequently.  If a certain map is easier for attackers, they might get thrown to the losing side while a person who doesn't get teamswitched would stay on attackers for the entire map.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 08:44:03 pm »
That actually sounds like a good opportunity for a new player. 

If they want to be despised and branded as Bannerwhores, yes.

Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 09:46:27 pm »
Or a way to initiate contact with the clan.
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 10:02:09 pm »
+2
Siege is the best for new players.  New players need xp and gold, but they need play experience too.  If a new player plays battle, over half their play time will be waiting to respawn.  Been there.

I also make more gold/xp playing siege.  No, I'm not in a big clan.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 11:56:04 pm »
I also make more gold/xp playing siege.  No, I'm not in a big clan.

I played about 4 Hours of siege last month(Doesnt sound like much, but infact it was my whole cRPG playtime), I only had a small x5 roll ONCE, because I was lucky enough to have the Wolves banner as standard.I had some x4s and x3s aswell, but always just for like 1 round.

Most of my time was spent x1 and x2.

It´s better to play Battle from the start on, especially because Siege tends to be easier(Fighting-wise...I get way more kills i nSiege like I do in battle, like many).

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 02:13:40 am »
Battle is better for xp/gold, but it's true that it might be a bit boring for new players, because being dead constantly is not much fun, IMO.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 12:32:20 pm »
Just do whatever you enjoy most. Don't grind. Play the game instead.

I love battle mode because it offers breaks from time to time (when you're dead). Gives me time to make a cup of tea, go to the toilet, talk to my gf, etc. The trick is to know when to take a break. ;)
Also, i love spectating cRPG. But that might just be me.

If you're looking for maximum XP, battle mode is probably best, because long streaks of x5 are much more likely on battle mode compared to siege. Don't have any data on this; it's just an observation.

Play siege for some quick and dirty action, but if you have the time, try battle mode for several maps in a row, do a bit of tactics and maybe switch your banner to a banner that's used a lot, so you'll get to play with the same players. Just a bit of tactics and the right banner will net you a lot more XP than siege mode will, i think...

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 01:54:36 am »
Personally I probaby make 2-3 times more experience on small battle servers than siege...

Also, I rather actually play when I play (small battle servers) instead of playing on EU1 with long waiting after death or siege where you have to walk long distances to get to enemy.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 02:20:22 am by Riddaren »

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 04:06:07 am »
LIES!!! all know cRPG melee server is the best place to gain fast lvl up  :lol:

'No trolling here just saying.. you can lvl up fast because rounds are so quick so you get a decent flow of xp n gold compared to long streaks of x1 on battle or seige..

On cRPG melee your luck can change alot faster. Maybe its not the best place for beginners but atleast its faster
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 04:08:06 am by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 12:13:41 pm »
Siege is a horrible way of levelling up and keeping a good multi for more than a few rounds is rare at best due to pretty unbalanced maps ( some very easy to defend others almost impossible and all having the low hp doors in first round ) and clans working together completely steamrolling the other side ( which is usually made up of the most inexperienced, even retarded, players you'll find in any game mode in WB, utterly failing to grasp even the simple concept of defending a flag no matter how much is it shouted in the chat ). No matter what happens you'll find yourself getting moved to the 'wrong' team eventually and will as such be rendered unable to keep your multi for long.

Unless of course you're a banner-whore, small battle servers are probably the most efficient place to earn good xp.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 12:20:02 pm by Angantyr »

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 07:17:40 pm »
siege: testing built, having fun, jerking around, e-peen and also perfect place for newcomer

battle: experience, grind and some difficulty.

my opinion, but for new player: playing siege is better due to the more gaming time you got. after you need to go battle to increase your skillz. (duel is a better way, but for new player who need gold it's just horrific.)

and yes battle give more money imo BUT you can win on siege even if not in a clan: just follow the guy with a ladder ;-)
So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login