Author Topic: strat 3.0  (Read 8590 times)

Offline Leiknir

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: Leiknir
  • IRC nick: Leiknir
Re: strat 3.0
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 03:23:37 am »
+6
I am having the most fun I ever had in strat this round.
I did operate a small 4 man bandit operation for a while, ended with 350 armed troops and 80k gold. Threw the army at Keshian because he annoyed me, took his village and stole his army he hid in there. Now I am fighting a glorious war of independence for proud Fenada.
You do not have to have a big clan to have fun or be effective in strategus anymore, just go and fuck diplomacy and go be a bandit. Or a trader. I made more than 1 million cRPG gold so far.

You guys are just playing a boring game of security, safety and even more safety. Go and take a risk. Anyone remembers the first strategus round? Nearly all landowning EU faction were in the templar block, except DRZ, Nordmen of Fenada and the Mercs. 22nd, Nordmen & DRZ got bored and just started a war against all odds, slowly gaining allies as new factions emerged and joined up or others left the sinking templar boat. We didn't sit  there and complain that we can't fight a war because everyone is allied and we might lose. We took the risk, and we won.

If you complain that you can't beat them because you don't have troops, go and recruit them. All castles are still neutral. Gold missing? Raid their caravans. I am sure there are some non UIF factions out there that let you craft in their fiefs for a small fee, maybe even for free. UIF got too many players? You need a max of 60(?) players for each battle, with some discipline you can easily get that number for the most important battles.
Strategus it not just getting 10k troops and buying equipment to throw them at the enemy until its over anymore, disrupt your enemies trade, disrupt their reinforcments. Much more possibilties for small clans to try and keep the man down or atleast try to offer a resistance. I am still surprised that for example the Mercs not take 100 or 200 troops and hide in some neutral castle along the DRZ trading routes and try to get some loot there to pay for their main defense. Or just use the raiding feature and annoy the shit out of their villages. Go and hire some neutral mercenaries (hehe) to inflitrate their land and open up guerilla warfare.

Don't complain that you can only craft the most expensive stuff, go and play with cheaper stuff in cRPG for a while to get cheap stuff. My 4 man bandit squad could easily produce nearly everything we needed for our army (Tribal Warrior Outfits, Mail Shirts, Nomad Sabres, Kite Shields, Bamboo Spears, MW Crossbows, Darts, etc..), extremly cheap. We didn't plan it, we are just not in cRPG 24/7 tincans. If you put some thought in there, you can easily get cheap equipment.
Maybe I missed the micromanagement you complain about because my army slowly grew, but honestly, I think that was your missmanagment because every leader tried to outfit the whole army by himself. Why did you try to do everything yourself? Go and get other people involved, if you want to outfit an army of 1000 man and still need the equipment set up production quotas and assign production leader roles (1 guy organises 1hand&shields, one guy poles&2hand etc) to various members. If someone can't fit the deadline you can still start to panic and take direct control. You just can't instaoutfit an army in 1h anymore.
Strat is not thought to be played by the 20 faction leaders while all lowly members just farm coconuts. Get people involved.

Strategus diplomacy is taken way to personal all the time, seriously guys. Taking personal disputes into strategus is fine, fight it out. But don't make new personal disputes in strategus. My bandit party raided the Caravan Guards, chased them over half the map on multiple occasions, but we are still cool (aren't we? :o)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A

The bug suck, can't argue there. Strategus is still in a very raw form and seriously needs some urgent and long overdue interface improvements.

TL;DR: Stop whining, go fighting. Maybe you win, maybe you lose. But everyone just sitting there going "no war is boring" is kinda stupid

(this post is my opinion as an active player this strat)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline JihadistMexican

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
  • God Bless
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Gay One
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 03:46:51 am »
+1
Good points in that post Leiknir, but haven't you noticed the change in peoples ways of playing strat? Like you said about those euros who attacked everyone, back in 2.0 it was so much easier to get troops/gold/equipment etc. You being a bandit who doesn't "gaf" has nothing to lose.  Some people who play this game take this seriously (lol) and don't want to lose.  If I could make an army like that, then I would war people and we could have a good fun time.  If it takes me a long amount of time to make an army, I will be less likely to attack someone at the risk of losing my shit.  You can't say people have become less fun or warlike, you have to look at the differences between the strat rounds and how that can effect peoples decisions etc.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 03:49:33 am by JihadistMexican »
"I know were gona lose strat, but lets leech all the xp we can."

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 04:24:38 am »
Leiknirr - you talk as if that is fun for everybody.  What you did was attack at 5 am so know one could show up and then when we actually had a decent time to fight you the server disconnected every single person on our team every 10 seconds, while not a single person on your side was affected (not surprisingly cmp had just made changes to the server and was mercing for you along with several other developers who share your developer tag) so you were able to cap the flags in a  few seconds each time.  There was no battle - how exacttly is that fun for people that actually enjoy fighting.

I know you have a personal thing against me (not surprising since I have heard repeatedly what a tool you are), but that was about 40 people "grinding in strategus for months that lost all their gear to your attacking at 5 am and then a glitched cheating win with less than 1 minute of actual fighting.  How is that fun for most people??  I know it turned off another 15-20 people from strategus and made them inactive, especially when all the developers trolled them when they asked for help.

I know you are probably going to flame me and I don't care, I have a thick skin, but frankly the fact that you brag about the disconnect abuse is the mark of a true dick - there were many other people than me that got screwed over by that (actually i wasnt affected much personally as I had told my clan before that fight I didnt want to waste any more time on this boring game after we dealt with you as it just wasnt fun anymore, the only battle we had in ages was at 5 am, an intentional dick move taking advantage of time zone differences).  I have been zoned out and barely playing since Al Adin and his developers randomly punished 1 and only 1 clan with 1000 troops and gear lost.

Your opinion is badly biased as a developer in claiming that strategus 3.0  is fun.  For the vast majority of people I play with - it is not.  And I don't know the cRPG battle server numbers as I dont play anymore, but I know for a fact the number of people that actually log into Strategus has dropped precipitously among the North Americans and Europeans i know.

I know you are a troll and a dick so I dont expect any real reply of substance, but other developers should really be taking note at how boring this game has become and how many people have much more quietly just quit and become inactive.  The trollish nature of developers with infrequent Strategus patches has also certainly not strengthened peoples' belief that things will change.

P.S. Strat 1 it was you, den bitre, str, BIA, DRZ, 22nd, and a half-dozen more russian clans names I cant even pronounce that outnumbered them drastically and sued pretty much every possible glitch in the game tio win, so no that is not DARING in the slightest.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 04:35:04 am by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 04:31:17 am »
+3
But everyone just sitting there going "no war is boring" is kinda stupid

I hate to turn this into another strat arguement thread, but then again I no longer care about this game.

The only people saying "no war is boring" are the people who are waging war themselves.
The FCC has spurred on several of the major wars in strategus history
We are at war as we speak.

Don't say we are just sitting there and idly bitching the issue.
This is an active problem and you're construing the truth about present strat.
The fact that you're a dev only makes it look more ignorant.

Pathetic

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 05:05:17 am »
+1
(not surprisingly cmp had just made changes to the server and was mercing for you along with several other developers who share your developer tag)

I knew there was something fishy about him.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline bagge

• King
  • Renown: 1056
  • Infamy: 275
  • cRPG Player
  • Duke of Poland
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: bagge
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 05:19:50 am »
Leiknirr - you talk as if that is fun for everybody.  What you did was attack at 5 am so know one could show up and then when we actually had a decent time to fight you the server disconnected every single person on our team every 10 seconds, while not a single person on your side was affected (not surprisingly cmp had just made changes to the server and was mercing for you along with several other developers who share your developer tag) so you were able to cap the flags in a  few seconds each time.  There was no battle - how exacttly is that fun for people that actually enjoy fighting.

I hope you guys get some sort of sticky balls deseases and smell like my armpits, sorry excusese for nolife fucking cunts you are.

Offline rubicon_crossed

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RubiconCrossed_BRD, Hedge_BRD
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 07:53:39 am »
+2

Just because Kesh said it, doesn't make it any less true.

1) I don't think there was anything malicious/intentional behind the one-sided d/c bug that affected our counterattack but it definitely wasn't "fun".
2) I've already given my kudos to Leikner for his successful suicide attack on our fiefs but again, attacking us at 5 am in the morning was not "fun" for our side either.

I have no problems with losing. Heck, some of my most fun moments in strat have been in losing battles (Remember Tebandra!). The problem is that everything Leikner just outlined as him having "fun" came from our side not even having a chance to fight b/c of the time slot and d/c error.

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2011, 08:17:14 am »
+1
A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 08:30:04 am »
Don't complain that you can only craft the most expensive stuff, go and play with cheaper stuff in cRPG for a while to get cheap stuff. My 4 man bandit squad could easily produce nearly everything we needed for our army (Tribal Warrior Outfits, Mail Shirts, Nomad Sabres, Kite Shields, Bamboo Spears, MW Crossbows, Darts, etc..), extremly cheap. We didn't plan it, we are just not in cRPG 24/7 tincans. If you put some thought in there, you can easily get cheap equipment.
Maybe I missed the micromanagement you complain about because my army slowly grew, but honestly, I think that was your missmanagment because every leader tried to outfit the whole army by himself. Why did you try to do everything yourself? Go and get other people involved, if you want to outfit an army of 1000 man and still need the equipment set up production quotas and assign production leader roles (1 guy organises 1hand&shields, one guy poles&2hand etc) to various members. If someone can't fit the deadline you can still start to panic and take direct control. You just can't instaoutfit an army in 1h anymore.
Strat is not thought to be played by the 20 faction leaders while all lowly members just farm coconuts. Get people involved.

OK, this right here shows that you have no idea what you are talking about and you're just riding high on your recent victory against an AFK village.

You have our gear. You know we are not making upper end equipment. Our best one handed weapon is the simple sword, our best armor is light leather, scythes are still the most used polearm, and horses are non-existant. What you don't understand is that we don't want to be using this gear 3 months into strategus. The fact that we are still using such low end gear at this point shows how stagnant the economy is. How impossible it is to advance. Hell, you barely even have to worry about gear. You simply attack at a time where you won't have many/any opponents. That is a valid strategy, but it doesn't give you much room to speak on the subject of gear.

I would say we had about 10 people doing caravan runs, and maybe another 5-10 crafters. It was certainly not all handled by 1 person. We were involved with our allies and neighbors, and had many trade deals across the map. You had a clan of 4 people. That's easy to organize. When's the last time you organized a group of 20 or 30 people as well as relations with multiple factions for an extended period of time? You are a raider who plays strategus to make cRPG gold. You do not understand the problems of larger factions.

You make one good point though: strategus 3.0 made banditry very profitable. Maybe we should all be bandits?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 08:56:05 am »
+1
Strat is boring

Offline kura

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_kura
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 11:31:56 am »
+1
Strat 1.0 was like arcade,strat 2.0 was something mixed,strat 3.0 is more like simulator.
I like most 3.0 because we have now implementation of ideas,what we want in 1.0,but must avoid the*multiplication of bureaucracy for bureaucracy*.

Now all slower and we have much time for thinking about all what we do/done.Some people whose have hot blood and pain in one place want real action and dont want to wait.
I like system of army supply.You can easy create army of ass-naked peasants with stones and sticks,if you want plate armor - create strong clan and its reality,remember the medieval armies of caravans,caravan robbers,lords,kings etc.

Developers already done steps for increasing world on map - low speed and more castle and villages.You can increase the proportion of map image in relation to the icon of villages and players, this will facilitate the solution of the problem.
Strat 3.0 not enough user-friendly interface,this is due to the uneven development of the project.

Most improtrand dont forget - very much not implemented at the moment patience and understanding to developers,they make outstanding things for us and we should be grateful to them for what we use it (especially for free).

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 12:02:15 pm »
+1
Interesting thread, thank you

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 12:31:40 pm »
+2
Interesting thread, thank you

I guess this pretty much sums up the future of strat?

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 12:53:31 pm »
+2
- Large factions have a huge advantage over smaller clans
- Over half of the EU is made up of carebears
- People take this too seriously and care more about dominating their rivals through asshattery rather than fighting in battles
- Diplomacy is the main weapon in strat rather than swords, I realise that may be historically accurate but we dont do realism in this game ;)
- Equipment bug ruined many factions in the beginning, when some factions didnt wanna try a peasant rush but rather use a good expensive but small army, they lost all equipment fighting naked armies :/
- Scythes are by far one of the most stupidly strong weapons for peasants, their length and ability to swing does not reflect a low tier weapon but rather a mid tier weapon.
- Not enough place for bandits, once everyone has taken their claims bandits have trouble making any money or causing any real trouble.
- Horses do not confer enough bonus onto speed of armies or carrying capacity, you need as many horses as troops to be effective

These are just some points about strat 3.0 that I think I'd rather were not present.
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 01:20:39 pm »

- Scythes are by far one of the most stupidly strong weapons for peasants, their length and ability to swing does not reflect a low tier weapon but rather a mid tier weapon.

Thank you for pointing this out too :)