Author Topic: [Suggestion] Server Primetimes  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
[Suggestion] Server Primetimes
« on: December 17, 2011, 05:13:51 pm »
+1
How about introducing a 6 hour server primetime that overrides any individual player's nighttimes?

EU could have 15:00-21:00 GMT+0 as primetime which would be reasonable for anybody up to GMT+4 and should therefore cover most EU players

NA could have the same but based on Pacific time instead.  So primetime would be 15:00 - 21:00 Pacific Time which will cover people on the east coast nicely.

Further notes
- This is bit unfair on Aussies and Asians, but if there are enough of them to matter then they should really be getting their own server and having their own section of the map with their own primetime.  No offence intended ofc.
- Possibly, neutral players could be exempt from the primetime as they have no-one else to manage rosters for them.  There would need to be some sort of cooldown on gaining your exemption after leaving a faction to prevent abuse. 24 hours should be enough.
- Neutral fiefs could be set to only be attackable during primetime.  Not 100% decided on this myself though yet.
- Player nighttimes could be extended to 12 hours so that they cover a larger window allowing more time for sleep/work.  They can't dosrupt the server primetime so i don't think it would hurt.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 05:15:26 pm by Tomas »

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
Re: [Suggestion] Server Primetimes
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 05:21:51 pm »
damn wrong forum.  Sorry

please can someone move this :D

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 08:36:22 pm »
Moved.

Also, I don't like it.  Personally, I prefer to avoid battles during the times I am not able to play, which is entirely different than what time I am sleeping or what time is "primetime" for an entire continent.  On days I am working, I would rather set my night time from 9-5, and overriding the last few hours of that because it is "primetime" for another part of my continent would be both annoying and...well annoying.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 08:43:54 pm »
+1
I agree it would be a nice change... the current system favours attackers. (look at my chart!)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The red highlighted spot is far and away the best possible time to attack for EUs to attack NA, and the yellow highlighted is the best time for NA to attack EU.

its really easy for attackers to avoid fighting enemies during their prime time, and either forcing enemies to accept a fight at the attackers prime time, or a fight where both sides fight at off time which sucks for everyone, but can be planned for better by attackers since they can let their guys know far in advance that it will be happening. Also, as far as weekends go where most people dont work... well then the EU time spot is even better whereas the NA time spot is worse.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 08:46:51 pm by Matey »

Offline Loki

• Count
  • Renown: 228
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
  • I don't know karate, but I know crazy.
    • View Profile
    • The Fallen Brigade
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Loki
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 09:01:01 pm »
In my opinion there is no elegant way (that I can think of) to fix the problem with people attacking each other at awkward times.  But the current night time system only exasperates the problem because the attacker does not know when his own battle will take place.  At the very least there should be a message letting the attacker know that if he attacks that the battle will actually take place [when].
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 09:14:43 pm »
8 hour window should be best:

NA: 5 pm - 1 am PST = 8 pm - 4 am EST

This allows for quite a bit of room while not winning solely because you are willing to be more of a dick than your enemy.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 09:30:48 pm »

This allows for quite a bit of room while not winning solely because you are willing to be more of a dick than your enemy.

That favours pst quite a bit more then est. 1 hour after midnight vrs 4......? People gotta wake up at 6 am for work or school.

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 10:14:04 pm »

Oh...yeah.
I'm bad at timezones.
Nvm, sounds fine to me.  Except, you know, some people work primetimes.  I know at least one player who works nights, who probably wouldn't want to be attacked during such times.

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 02:02:59 am »
I like this idea, but because of the time zones in EU and NA, the prime time window shouldn't be very long unless you want to screw over some time zones. Assume prime time is 5pm to midnight. Then across the 4 time zones of NA, the prime time window would be about 3 hours (5pm Pacific to midnight Eastern).

But the current night time system only exasperates the problem because the attacker does not know when his own battle will take place.  At the very least there should be a message letting the attacker know that if he attacks that the battle will actually take place [when].
Actually, when you're attacking somebody, it will tell you what their night time is set to. Or maybe that's not true with eye candy. I don't use eye candy and it will display everybody's night time in attacking range if I click their name on the map. However, I rarely pay attention to this and end up attacking whenever I want anyways and late realize they had a night time set that delayed the battle significantly

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 03:39:12 am »

8 hours is far too long Kesh, it just doesn't fit in and 4am is just too late imo.  6 hours works fairly well and means the UK/Pacific guys get the disadvantage of some early battles but the advantage of no late battles.  Whilst the Eastern Europe/Atlantic guys get it backwards.  Obviously the people in the middle will get a nice balanced primetime but as Loki says, there is no elegant way of doing it so we have to settle for the best we can manage.

@Braeden - The primetime could be lowered to 4 hours but i'm not really sure that is long enough.  Any primetime would be a step forward imo however, so i'd be willing to back that change if it means it actually gets done.  Ty for moving it btw :D