Author Topic: Ever used real armor?  (Read 6290 times)

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
Re: Ever used real armor?
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2011, 04:52:42 pm »
Together with stamina that would be interesting Paul..

Just a note from another video of these german maniacs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=417CVCQ5eE4&feature=related

Those short hammers seems much more scary than the swords. With the big ass swords there doesn't seem to be enough time or distance to fully utilize the potential energy stored in them. The short 1h blunt weapons however get's serious speed up.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2011, 09:50:39 pm »
+1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oubmAeMuoPk&feature=player_detailpage#t=71s

Awesome takedown there, I wonder if some middle-age fencing manual teaches it? Looks very effective, I'd like to learn it.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2011, 10:19:10 pm »
What I would like to have for a better plate armor feeling would be a dualistic damage system like in XCOM with lasting mortal damage and recoverable stun damage, which has its max at the normal health left. With that plate users would mostly receive stun damage, which they could recover over time or with a special time consuming, exposing action. If a player takes as much stun damage as he has health left, he falls unconscious and is out of the round as with a normal death.

Plate users can't really outrun their opponents and people in lighter armor would mostly receive mortal damage. With that kiting away to recover wouldn't be that much of a problem. It might be a problem with tin cans on horses though.

I've contemplated a system like that as well. Do you think something like it is possible for Crpg?

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2011, 10:35:33 pm »
Possible, yes. Doing other stuff is more important though.

Offline Tigero

• Knight
  • Renown: 57
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player
  • Respecer, Dictator of holy virginal defenders
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2011, 09:28:21 pm »
Elric whatever, I do give you respect for your unique hobby, but i think you are way too full of yourself... I mean, while those duels may not be absolute larping they still are very larpish, couple slow, uncontrolled hits there, and couple here, and no good stabs in the swordfights. Ofcourse, no-one wants to get killed in these kinds of duels (obviously) so they are 'softcore' and i hope you act accordingly.

Go and play some icehockey, take a couple tackles, or have a duel with someone who has took a couple aikido lessons, then come back showing off here.
Btw. nice 'flamberge' on one of the videos, but with that slow swings you couldn't cut even a banana.

If you want to see some ''menly'' knightly acts with some serious damage go to youtube and search for full-tilt jousting. If you want to see sword techniques search for aikido.

-Troll

The humor might be fun for u, but it is fun on behalf of others.

Offline Elric_de_Melnibone

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2011, 11:15:27 pm »
I'm sorry, but you must have missed the part where I mentioned the escrima-training, and applying it to real life.

I'm not full of myself.
I know that I'm not the best fighter, I'm decent, and still have a long way to go.

But I'm full of the way we do our thing, yes I am.
I'm full of my trainer, yes I am.
16 years of martial arts experience in Escrima and Jiu Jitsu, and being a punk out on the streets in his younger years, he knows the rules and brawls of the streets well. Being a very decent guy makes him pretty much the perfect trainer.

Also, Yes, that flamberge is seriously huge, slow, and not even meant to dueling, it's meant for hacking pikes.

The lad using it is a good lad, but he's not training with us. He's training with group focused alot more on "RAW POWAR".
He wanted that flamberge, even though we told him it wouldn't be very effective, but he wanted it. As long as he enjoys it...

I'm learning to use more finesse effectiveness, thanks to my trainer. I've become rather effective at dishing out fast and strong hits, rather than wide swinging motions - as you mentioned, those are not exactly the epitome of effectiveness.

But excuse me, I'm used to being underestimated.

I've sustained more damage, hits and injuries than most people think I have, and I've won more fights out of sheer determination than people guess. I've been tackled, I've been cut, I've been splintered, I've been scarred, (In medieval combat and out there in the "real life") but I always stood my ground.

I have great respect for the eastern martial arts, but I honestly doubt their perfection and ultimate effectiveness many people see in them. Yes, I'd try to take on an Aikido master. Yes, I'd probably fail. But I'd try.

Someone who just took a couple of lessons though, I've took some lessons of my own. Bring it on. Armour or not, I don't care.

I can see why you would underestimate me, as I'm not the most tall, big, muscled and evil looking person in the world, and I won't go around making challenges on the internet to you, like I did with the other people that underestimated me and talked behind my back in real life, but I can tell you:

I've heard what you've said so many times before, been underestimated so many times before, proved people wrong so many times before. I've explained myself on so many occasions already, I honestly don't see the point in trying to convince you concerning anything.

But, alas, you're not a troll.

Just someone who underestimates things, and people.
Then again, this is the internet, and it's hard to judge a person.

But this is becoming a rather off-topic discussion, isn't it?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 11:22:11 pm by Elric_de_Melnibone »
- What can change the nature of a man?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2011, 11:20:32 pm »
Let the records show that the stakes have been raised: hockey and aikido.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2011, 11:28:19 pm »
Well, not to forget armor-piercing (!) daggers, of course.
:D

Offline Loar Avel

• Knight
  • Renown: 58
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Lady_Marlyse
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2011, 01:42:15 am »
For the first question.

Chainmail, gauntlet, helmet, I miss some money for complete plate (for now... But one day! :twisted:)

And since I'm into the amhe (Art Martiaux historique et européen, in english HEMA (historical, european martial art) I learned longsword (and some other thing, like basic saber, staff, daguer, etc.)

Now, time to feed the troll!

Fight in armor with sword? 15 th?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlfrmCUGoKE

More this kind of thing, halfsword and try to hit the weak spot/ make them fall or...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwoHWV1vaVs&feature=related

Just shoot them... 15th after all.

Now feeding another troll!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDkoj932YFo&feature=related

well.. Katana beats the longsword in the thrust because it is stiffer (thicker).

The katana beats the longsword in cutting because of curved blade.

etc.

Most important difference between Katana and longsword.    Longsword is a shock weapon, not katana.
Katana are made only for cutting people, you're not hitting/parrying (directly) another katana with it, nor bashing an armor.
Stiffer the blade, easier it's break.

And so, longsword can block, katana must deviate.

Also, katana don't have a Pommel (and it's an awesome tool when you're handling your weapon, and it's also a nice hammer when you're oponant is a little to close)
Katana guard is round and only for protecting the hand.
Sword guard is cross and is use for protecting the hand, control enemy sword, and bashing head.

Now feeding, the last troll...

For Elric_de_Melnibone, Work on your feet! the feeeeeeeet! Feet are the basics.
The world is split in two categorie.
The one digging, and the one with the loaded crossbow.

But never forget that the one digging, got a big shovel.

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
  • FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2011, 09:35:39 am »

For Elric_de_Melnibone, Work on your feet! the feeeeeeeet! Feet are the basics.

The importance of footwork always depends on the fighting style, but I'll admit that footwork always has been kind of neglected by me.
It's slowly getting better, but yeah.  :P

Thank you for listing up all the advantages of the longsword.

But I guess we should probably focus more on the original question of the topic: Ever used real armour, and how did that work out?

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2011, 09:52:05 am »
Mail + leather > Sharp sword.

Did the test instead of cleaning my room...
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
  • FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 24, 2011, 09:55:51 am »
But oh my god, if mail + leather already stops sharp swords, how effective must plate armour be? This is incredible!

Kidding aside, thanks for making the test.  :)

It backs up the argument that armour was better than most people think it was, because hey, they wouldn't have used it if it didn't help them survive.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2011, 10:00:38 am »
Fairly simple test to do, put mail gauntlet on hand, grab sword, smash hand. I felt a small pain, not crippling at all, skin was a bit red, nothing else.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art