Author Topic: On Crushtrhough, A long examination using Melee Dynamics  (Read 6098 times)

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
On Crushtrhough, A long examination using Melee Dynamics
« on: February 17, 2011, 08:53:48 pm »
(This a long post but it includes necessary description of melee dynamics for those who are not familiar with them.  Sorry for the size but I hope the content is enlightening.)

Lets talk about crushtrhough   in step by step logical way to see if it is overpowered or not:

There are only 3 types of attacks that you can do with a crushtrhough   weapon like a barmace weapon:  Left, Right, Overhead,
And there are only 4 blocks you can do with any other melee weapon:  Left, Right, Overhead, Thrust.

With a crushtrhough   weapon you get to ignore 1 of the blocks part of the time.  That means that 33% of your attack arsenal has the potential to punch thru and hit your opponent even if he blocks properly.  But since you know that 1 of the 3 strikes that you can launch is partially unblockable you will throw that attack more often.  So 33% of your attack arsenal will now be used 50% + of the time.  So more then 50%+ of the strikes you throw have the potential of going thru even if your opponent blocks properly.

The standard advice of combating crushtrhough   chars is just move out of the way or maneuver.  In one way its good advice in another that advice ignores the in build mechanics of the game for 2 reasons:

1.)  Character Build
2.)  Melee Game Mechanics

Character Build
Let's take a person who wants to create a crushtrhough   barmace character.  He knows the needs high PowerStrike for a greater chance of crushtrhough   so he knows he needs a strength build.  He goes with 24 str and 8PS.  Well he also knows that most people will try to maneuver out of his way so he converts some points and gets athletics 5.  Now if you look around the Character build page most people have athletics of 6 to 7.  Split the difference you get 6.5.  Moving backwards a character with 6.5 athletics is slower then a char with athletics of 5 moving forwards.  So while you can slip from side to side and backwards out of the way of 1 or 2 or even 3 strikes, a determined str crushtrhough   char will be able to chase most people down and get them into melee range with the barmace.  Now what happens once they are within melee range?

Melee Game Mechanics
(if you are interested in a longer discussion on melee mechanics I posted an explanation of melee game mechanics here: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,1545.0.html)

Basically The game’s melee mechanics work very much in a turn base way:
Let’s say your opponent is the first to launch an attack, you block.  This is the end of his attack phase and the beginning of yours.  You attack and your opponent blocks.  This is the end of your attack phase.  Opponent attacks and you block, this ends his attack phase and is the beginning of yours.  I am sure by now you get the picture.  But what happens if your opponent chooses to attack again after his attack phase is already over?  Answer, if your opponent chooses to try to hit you after his formal attack phase is over, and swings during your attack phase, you will hit him with your swing since this is your attack phase.  Even if he has greater wpf and a faster weapon he will not be able to outswing you during your attack phase.

You can make small movements and still be “in your attack turn”, however if you make large movements it eats your attack phase and then your opponent is in his attack phase, where you will not be able to outswing him. 

What does this mean?

Lets assume both players have good melee skills :)
Crushtrhough guy runs at you with barmace raised overhead for a strike.  What are your choices: 
1.)   Move back
2.)   Maneuver left or Right or diagonally
3.)   Block
4.)   Attack

Lets examine your choices:

Move Back

Well we already know that with athletics of 5 moving forward the crushtru guy will be able to chase down the majority of the Crpg community with athletics of 6.5 and bring them into melee range of his crushtru weapon. 

What happens:  Crushtrhough guys charges.  You move back, the crushtrhough   guys chases you down, CRUNCH.  So not the best choice then.

Maneuver left or right or diagonally

You want to slip by the big bad guy with the giant baseball bat.

What happens:  Crushtrhough guy charges.  You move diagonally right.  Crushtrhough guy swings and missed, what a fool you think as you prepare to strike him.  Just as you are about to swing, CRUNCH.  WTF??!!??? You scream at your screen. 

What actually happened was rather subtle.  You got caught violating the melee mechanics of the game.  When the crushtrhough guy charged and you moved out of the way, you moved too far and your movement ate your attack phase.  When you went to swing you were no longer in your attack phase you were in the crushtrhough guys attack phase.  So he outswung you and you got CRUNCHED. 

(The only way to make large movements and remain in your attack phase is to have very high athletics and since we are assuming 6.5 as the average in the CRPG community it is not enough.) 

Now what also could have happened is:   Crushtrhough guy charged.  You moved diagnoll right.  Crushtrhough  swings and misses.  Crushtrhough guy got confused by the change of direction or hesitated.  His hesitation or confusion ate up his attack phase and you were able to swing and hit him.  But remember we are assuming you are going against a player with skill here, so his recovery time is good  and he will not likely get confused and he will not hesitate.  So maneuvering left, right or diagonally not the best option then.

Block

Against better judgment you block :(

What happens:  Crushtrhough guy charges with barmace raised overhead.  He swings.  You block.  CRUNCH.  But good news you are still alive !!!  You go to swing to pay back that evil cheap bastard.  Haha you think, I got you no…..  CRUNCH.  WTF ?!!??!!

What actually happened was rather subtle :) bet you knew I was going to say that. :)  The way the melee mechanics work, is that if you hit an opponent they lose their attack phase and you get another turn.  So in this scenario once you got hit with the barmace and tried to swing back, you were not in your attack phase, so you got outswung and killed off.  So not the best choice then.

Attack

You see the big bad guy coming at you with the barmace, and you think I am going to MESS THIS MOFO up.

What happens:   Crushtrhough guy charges with barmace raised overhead.  You step in and attack.  He blocks. (I know he should not be allowed to) :)  Its his attack phase now.  He swings overhead, you go to the other choices (which we already saw):

1.   Move back   CRUNCH
2.   Manuver left or right or diagonally  CRUNCH
3.   You block   Double CRUNCH
4.   Attack out of your attack phase  CRUNCH

So not the best choice then.

Summary

Therefore after logically examining Crushtrhough based on character build and melee game mechanics I would submit that crushtrhough is overpowered.  Whatever option you pick fighting against a crushtrhough guy that option has serious weaknesses  If you take 2 equally skilled opponents with the same character build the guy with the crushtrhough has a dominating advantage.  Game balance should not work that way, properly balance two equally skilled opponents using similar level of items should battle each other to a draw.  This is currently not possible with crushtrhough.  Opinions?

P.S 

What is my advice on fighting Crushtrhough based characters?  Well now you know that 50%+ of the attacks launched against you from a  Crushtrhough character will be overheads, I would recommend chambering overhead, followed up by attack.  Then maneuver to confuse the guy and make him hesitate and attack again.  It works, but again it is not the best of options :)  but it’s the best out of a bad lot.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 08:55:44 pm by Formless »
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
Re: On Crushtrhough, A long examination using Melee Dynamics
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 09:04:52 pm »
Crushthrough goes through chambers.

And since the crushthrough is being removed from the maces, it's easier to just spam the hammers. Most hammer users won't be able to attack at all if you spam properly. Right now, crushthrough is too strong purely because there are fast weapons that can do it, once those cease to exist spam should be enough to counter crushthrough, making it balanced.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:07:01 pm »
I can only disagree with one thing here - character build.
With a heirloomed barmace and 5ps you will crush through a greatsword or elegant poleaxe 90% of the time.
Good luck outspamming or outrunning the guy with more athletics, agility, wpf and weapon speed than you.
I recomend this approach until it is fixed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 09:10:56 pm »
You need to either be able to move backwards faster than he runs forward or outspam him so even if he blocks, he won't be able to attack back before you hit him again. The imbalance of the barmace was exactly this point, it was possible to crush through with a balanced build, so the two counters were nullified. CT on the barmace is being removed already FYI. Then you can only use a maul for CT, like the great maul, which is suceptible to both counters, because it's slow, short and weighs alot and this weight slows you down visibly.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 09:14:53 pm »
Some things to add...

Option 2 move diagionally...

Palatro runs at you with an overhead charged, you dart to the side, he crushes you into paste 99% of the time. highly skilled crushers will not lose track of you regardless of your dodging.

also to mention, 8 powerstrike barmace does not scare me... they crush like 10-20% of the time against my shield. 10 powerstrike seems to be the minimum for effective bar mace crush through... which means 1-3 athletics, in which case my 8 athletics allows me to dodge in and out of range with ease.

Long maul and Great maul on the other hand, require much less power strike. as an example, one player with a triple heirloomed great maul, only needs 4-5 powerstrike to have a 99% crush through rate. this means he has 7-9 athletics... even in his tin can suit, you arent going to get out of his range by back pedaling.

I did a bunch of tests with DieMoar and his long maul, the best thing i could do was to spam... making sure to change from attacking to blocking if he launched a side swing, but not pulling the attack if he throws an overhead... i won about 20% of the fights once i stopped reflexively trying to block the overheads. i did find that aiming my shield up as high as possible would reduce the damage of his crush through though... i guess that helps.

Another thing to mention, chambering crush through is not in any way reliable. im not an expert on this, but i recall friends having tried this strategy and discovering that although they chambered... they got crushed anyway.

i propose a couple of solutions to the current situation.
1. maximum 50% chance to crush through with any crush wep. this way its a gamble.
2. increase strength requirements on crushthrough weapons to a mimimum of 24. this will lower the athletics possessed by most crushers and make it easier to out manuevre them.
3. remove the ability to block with crush through weapons. sure you can ignore our blocks... but we can ignore yours too!
4. remove side swings from crush weapons... the overhead is slow enough that you can usually spam it... the hard part is that you close in for spamming, and they block then launch a quick left counter, forcing you to block while they try to manuevre into a overhead. the good players will consistently block your swings, and eventually they will get to launch an overhead and turn you into paste.
5. get rid of crush through. Mr Gorath often speaks against the idea of turning this game into rock paper scissors, and i find he has a good point. if there are weapons/styles which effectively trump another style, it turns into a game of rock paper scissors... i like the idea of soft counters... if you worry about shielders, bring an axe. if you worry about throwers/archers, bring a shield, if you worry about 2handers, get some ranged weps. those are soft counters... a shielder can beat an axe guy, hes just at a disadvantage, a 2h can beat a ranged guy, but hes at a disadvantage and so on. right now the only counter to crush is either use ranged weapons, or sacrifice 2-3 teamates to his maul while the other guys take him out.

personally, im a fan of options 2, 3 and 5. any one of those would balance it out a lot.

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 09:36:31 pm »
A loomed barmace was (well, techicnally it still is) effective with 7 or 8 ps.

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 11:30:17 pm »
Dont do anything to CT system or weaps req, but just remove overhead block for CT weaps. You'll see, this will work well.

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 11:52:38 pm »
barmace loses it's crushthrough and i guess same goes for the iron mace thingy so you pretty much got slow shortrange crushthrough weapons and the long maul :mrgreen:

Offline Stormcrow

• Knight
  • Renown: 61
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
  • The spirit is willing, but the body is weak
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stormcrow, Ragnarok
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 11:53:45 pm »
I think that crushthrough should simply be more blockable especially for manual blockers. Crushthrough should only be used for countering sheilded players.

Changes
1. Manual blocking should block 90% of the time between two equal players
2. Sheilds should be more vulnerable to crushthrough thus giving the weapons a purpose(i.e Anti sheild). This mean that a player using a shield could put it away to manual block so that the attacker has less of a chance to crushthrough. Hopefully you follow my line of thinking
3. crushthrough weapon speed should be slowed
4. Weapons shouldnt have both Crushthrough and Knockdown, It should be one or the other

I think this would help to balance these weapons while still giving the a purpose and certain advantages in the game. Removing crushthrough completly would be a shame.

Gen 19 lvl34 archer

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 12:07:12 am »
I know this doesn`t bring a lot to what have been saved, but can`t we make it so u can improve your anti-crushthrough defense.

For example your IF could be involved, so a guy with high IF would be harder to crush through?

Sounds like a good idea?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline tankmen

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 12:22:11 am »
I know this doesn`t bring a lot to what have been saved, but can`t we make it so u can improve your anti-crushthrough defense.

For example your IF could be involved, so a guy with high IF would be harder to crush through?

Sounds like a good idea?
IF does help, i was 21/15 2h using a great maul, and had to over hand a guy 3 times... also i dont use anything wrong with the great maul or long maul, slow as hell or very short plus slow, cant wait for barmace nerf
The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics

Offline Vygar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vygar_PxC, Divinicus_PxC, Tegashi_PxC
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 12:29:28 am »
I think that crushthrough should simply be more blockable especially for manual blockers. Crushthrough should only be used for countering sheilded players.

Changes
1. Manual blocking should block 90% of the time between two equal players
2. Sheilds should be more vulnerable to crushthrough thus giving the weapons a purpose(i.e Anti sheild). This mean that a player using a shield could put it away to manual block so that the attacker has less of a chance to crushthrough. Hopefully you follow my line of thinking
3. crushthrough weapon speed should be slowed
4. Weapons shouldnt have both Crushthrough and Knockdown, It should be one or the other

I think this would help to balance these weapons while still giving the a purpose and certain advantages in the game. Removing crushthrough completly would be a shame.

Shields already have a counter in axes and other weapons designed to destroy shields.  Why do they need a second, hard counter that renders them useless?  Furthermore, an piece of equipment designed to block and deflect large amounts of kinetic force is unable to standa against a maul but someone putting their much smaller and more fragile weapon in the way of a maul is?  That makes 0 sense. 

Crushthrough is inappropriate and should just be taken out.

Offline tankmen

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 12:38:50 am »
Shields already have a counter in axes and other weapons designed to destroy shields.  Why do they need a second, hard counter that renders them useless?  Furthermore, an piece of equipment designed to block and deflect large amounts of kinetic force is unable to standa against a maul but someone putting their much smaller and more fragile weapon in the way of a maul is?  That makes 0 sense. 

Crushthrough is inappropriate and should just be taken out.
then what happens to great maul and long maul? useless? remove? speed increase?
The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 01:01:24 am »
Yes wtf why should shielders have two counters. Everyone knows that is silly.

Maybe when crushthrough is completlu removed we can just all run around as shielders. Fighting as the same class. Cavalry will become ineffective due to throw spam and you van kiss goodbye to archery.

SERIOUSLY IT WILL BE AWESOME
Turtles

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 01:37:34 am »
Tough it may seem unfair axes and maces are for different opportunities.

An axe is (Should) be the shield eater weapon but there's the famous shields which have 400-600 hp which axes take a bit to destroy so many kill the shielder rather than trying to destroy the shield first.

A mace is the ideal weapon against those people that turtle up and keep on guarding (Either shield or two handed weapon) without ever trying to attack, it's also a good weapon for surprising someone in a corner.

Problem with maces is that no crush through unless it's super light (Spiked Mace) should be able to crush AND at the same time be long and/or fast it would be unfair. Now this is going to get solved on next patch (When?) by removing crush through from iron mace, bar mace and probably studded warclub too so this solves having a long AND fast crush through weapon.

I understand and also hate it when I get hammered but the mauls are short AND slow making them not a favorite weapon to use all the time which is good as it should be only used against the chances I typed above.

Now this: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,1343.0.html is something chadz should take into consideration (Not exactly like in the thread but a general idea of changing certain weapons and armor requirement) it would also solve the people who use a crush through weapon while maximizing agility to not make it slow.

That's my opinion feel free to address any complaints against it if you want to.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 01:39:29 am by Vexus »