Poll

Does Longbow need a buff?

Yes
20 (74.1%)
No
7 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: February 20, 2012, 11:17:14 pm

Author Topic: Another Longbow thread.  (Read 2962 times)

Offline El_Infante

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tercio_Alejandro_Farnesio
Another Longbow thread.
« on: December 15, 2011, 04:41:16 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I will modify the previous post to give reasons why longbow need a buff.

All of we remember that at time that bodkin changed damage type of the bows, Long bow had an unique ability. It did pierce damage. After that patch, long bow got no buff. That is the first reason. Bodkin changed archery at all. After that "little change" it was out of the game. Now, every archer can use bodkin arrows.

My suggestion of fixes:
- A 1.80m bow can't have the same missile speed (only +1) from shorter Hornbow or Rusbow. LB doubles the size than horn&tatar. Solution? Buff it or nerf the others.
- (-8) speed from rus bow is nerfing it to the ground. Maybe with a +3 or +4 speed fix, it will be ok.
- Changes on how Power Draw works, but there is another post talking about it.
- Accuracy.
- The ability to hold reticule closed more than the other bows. (It was discussed by ptx on "finding a niche for longbow" post).

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:13:22 pm by El_Infante »

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • Its almost harvesting season.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Gazda_the_Swine
  • IRC nick: gazda
Re: Solution for unused Longbow
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 04:44:53 pm »
+1
i think 54 would do fine
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 04:53:02 pm »
You're only looking at the weakness of the long bow.
Don't forget that is has highest damage and that the arrows it shoots are lika lazerbeam. Maybe improving one of the good sides of the longbow even further, instead of just making faster would keep it separate from the other bows and still usefull. More missile speed, More accuracy or more damage isntead of just improving the speed.

Offline El_Infante

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 04:59:15 pm »
You're only looking at the weakness of the long bow.
Don't forget that is has highest damage and that the arrows it shoots are lika lazerbeam. Maybe improving one of the good sides of the longbow even further, instead of just making faster would keep it separate from the other bows and still usefull. More missile speed, More accuracy or more damage isntead of just improving the speed.

Damage proggression:
Short bow: 16
Bow: 18 (+2)
Nomad Bow: 20(+2)
Tatar Bow: 22(+2)
Horn Bow: 24(+2)
Yumi: 26(+2)
Rus Bow: 28(+2)
Long Bow: 31(+3)

As you can see it's the same proggresion as speed. Missile proggresion is 0 - 0 +1 +1 +2 -4 +1 +1. Missile speed is only +1 from horn bow, and I doubt so much if it is noticeable. Arbalest have around 60 missile speed (edit) so... you can't compare these things.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 05:32:00 pm by El_Infante »

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 05:24:00 pm »
+1
Yes, give it 54 speed plox
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Old_Sir_Agor

• Baron
  • Renown: 85
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DenBitre_Sir_Agor
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 05:28:25 pm »
Arbalest have around 80 missile speed so... you can't compare these things.

mw arbalest has 62 missle speed lol) 80 will be cool ofc 8-)
shooting at people from a reachable place as last man standing is not delaying. Even if you're on the other side of the map.

Offline illogical

• Baron
  • Renown: 100
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
  • 100 Ping User
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Union, Teutonic Order
  • Game nicks: T_Yakety_Sax_savesiege
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 05:30:57 pm »
need balance in bows. my logic
yumi - specific, good damage, but low speed arrow - sucess
horn - low damage, but fast - sucess
rus - balanced specifics - sucess
long - slow, but large damage - failed (need +damage)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 05:32:53 pm by illogical »
#savesiege

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 12:45:57 am »
+2
You are looking at this the wrong way. It's not the longbow that should be increased with 4 speed to get in line with the others. It's the other bows that should get reduced 4 speed to get in line with the longbow :P
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 01:19:56 am »
Tatar Bow-> Horn bow: 2 damage for 5 speed
Rus Bow-> Long Bow: 3 damage for 8 speed

Looks in line with the other bows to me.

Rus Bow is the Tatar Bow of 2s bows, Long Bow is the Horn Bow of 2s bows. It's not that the bows aren't balanced, because they definitely are.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline El_Infante

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 03:29:01 am »
Tatar Bow-> Horn bow: 2 damage for 5 speed
Rus Bow-> Long Bow: 3 damage for 8 speed

Looks in line with the other bows to me.

Rus Bow is the Tatar Bow of 2s bows, Long Bow is the Horn Bow of 2s bows. It's not that the bows aren't balanced, because they definitely are.

Yes you're right. Long bow is balanced in that way that no one uses it today. This is a topic for discuss if longbow is balanced compared to the another bows, and now, it isn't. So there are two ways to fix it. Nerfing all the bows or buffing Long bow. Why all the archers are using horn bow? Why only few archers use Rus Bow? Why no one use Long Bow? The top-tier bow need to have something that invite players to use it. Now it's useless. +3 Dmg for -8 speed is a SCAM.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 04:13:58 am »
Yes you're right. Long bow is balanced in that way that no one uses it today. This is a topic for discuss if longbow is balanced compared to the another bows, and now, it isn't. So there are two ways to fix it. Nerfing all the bows or buffing Long bow. Why all the archers are using horn bow? Why only few archers use Rus Bow? Why no one use Long Bow? The top-tier bow need to have something that invite players to use it. Now it's useless. +3 Dmg for -8 speed is a SCAM.
No, I think I just covered why the bow is balanced. Balanced does not mean equally practical. Longbows aren't practical bows, they're specialized bows. Rus bow and Horn bow are practical because they don't specialize in one particular thing. You could say that the Horn Bow specializes in speed, but I'd disagree at least in that you can go with the Tatar for +5 speed and only lose 2 damage, yet not many people really use the Tatar, why is that?

Explain to me, since this is the discussion section of the forums, why the Horn Bow is vastly more popular than the Tatar? If you choose the Horn Bow you gain 2 damage for 5 speed. Whereas, if you decide to go with a two slot bow, you could chose the Long Bow over the Rus, which gives you 3 damage for 8 speed. 1 damage per 2.5 speed compared to 1 damage per 2.667 speed. So the same ratio that makes people chose the Horn Bow over the Tatar is somehow not enough to make someone choose the Long Bow over the Rus. Gee... I guess the Long Bow is underpowered!

It's unused, not because it isn't balanced, but because the horn bow is the best 1s bow(Yumi is a HA bow, the missile speed makes it much less good for mid-long range shots) so the 1s bow guys use the horn bow, makes sense. As a 2s bow guy, if you chose the Long Bow, fast shooters like Horn Bow guys, are going to be impossible for you to fight against, unless you have cover. If you go with the Rus, fighting a Horn Bow user is a bit of a pain without cover, but it's still easily doable given they don't have too much more wpf than you.

So I'm not really seeing what the issue is, aside from that: You should be very careful when judging how good something is, by how often it is used.

Edit: Or maybe it's that this community is retarded and speed is so important that we should actually be seeing more Tatar Bows, because they're the truly OP bows?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 04:18:41 am by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline marco1391

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Legio_Marco1691
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 01:25:23 am »
+1
Imo archers are pretty up in the current state of crpg(different speech for strategus ofc)
I'd add 1 more damage to the longbow if it was for me(the longbow users got a -2 nerf on pierce or a -1 nerf on cut by the last patch so it would at least give them something back)
reguarding speed I wouldn't touch it, it's what makes the feeling very different between the two 2 slot bows, and that's a good thing from my point of view

Offline El_Infante

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 11:04:48 am »
Imo archers are pretty up in the current state of crpg(different speech for strategus ofc)
I'd add 1 more damage to the longbow if it was for me(the longbow users got a -2 nerf on pierce or a -1 nerf on cut by the last patch so it would at least give them something back)
reguarding speed I wouldn't touch it, it's what makes the feeling very different between the two 2 slot bows, and that's a good thing from my point of view

I agree. At this moment, losing 8 speed for +3 damage don't compensate to choose Long Bow instead of Rus Bow.

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 07:01:05 pm »
+1
i think 54 would do fine

Don't think 54 is necessary. Give it 52 or 53 to test it out, I think it would be pleasing. There is no need to get it as fast as the other bows, but atm it's really a bit too slow.

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 02:59:57 pm »
bump