Poll

What would you like to play?

Classic cRPG
153 (39.8%)
New cRPG
231 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 383

Voting closed: December 24, 2011, 03:08:12 pm

Author Topic: Classic vs New cRPG  (Read 16037 times)

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
Re: Classic vs New cRPG
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2011, 01:08:11 pm »
+1
I know the balance of old cRPG is terrible, but as I "always" said, when the game is fun and unserious, balance is but a minor problem. New cRPG is like over 9000+ other online arcade (read: no grinding) games, all about a super serious skill contest. Old cRPG was unique in the sense that it mixed a very skill-based gameplay (even with 10+ level differences, a duel ends up with the best player winning), MMO-like grinding (addictive) and an overall fun and trolly atmosphere.

The "super serious" part is more of a player issue, especially noticeable in strat.

But I don't think you have the same perspective as me on these things.

As a new player, the fact that skill was the major decider of the outcome of a (melee) battle was what allowed me to quickly get into the game, and get good at it. If I had never had the chance of duelling against some of the best players on a roughly equal playing field, but would have been forced to always play in the shadow of the sick grinders then I would have never been able to develop, get into a clan and do all the stuff that is *fun* for me in this game.

(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2011, 03:06:59 pm »
The "super serious" part is more of a player issue, especially noticeable in strat.

But I don't think you have the same perspective as me on these things.

As a new player, the fact that skill was the major decider of the outcome of a (melee) battle was what allowed me to quickly get into the game, and get good at it. If I had never had the chance of duelling against some of the best players on a roughly equal playing field, but would have been forced to always play in the shadow of the sick grinders then I would have never been able to develop, get into a clan and do all the stuff that is *fun* for me in this game.

(click to show/hide)

Of course the playing field is not equal. But that only makes defeating someone that has better gear more satisfying, and being killed by the same guy less frustrating. The thing is, winning or loosing only has minor consequences with the old system. Sometimes you even have to team up against some players. An uneven playing field creates "boss" players which are challenging to kill (but certainly not impossible within 10 levels up or down, at least when it's not HA vs melee). Even playing fields become dull very fast (2011 cRPG shows this). 2011 cRPG is like a medieval CS, in every possible meaning.

2010 cRPG allows the player to be a peasant during a decent amount of time, learning the game without having to be effective. It doesn't throw the player into the battle with full potential and full responsibility. At first, the goals when you play are modest (surviving, landing a hit...) then when you catch up with medium levels, you start making kills consistently, but high level enemies are still a challenge. When you reach the higher levels, then you'll always find people that are either better or with better stats than you, but you have good chances against most of the playerbase. Of course, this also comes with a "duty" of actually being effective (autobalance takes level into account, high levels will be outnumbered). What is good is that you always have people with better stats and lesser stats than you, increasing the diversity of battles. Some are easy, some a though. But skill always remains the most important factor.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2011, 03:17:42 pm »
That's how it's still like, only it doesn't take take months of no-lifing to be roughly as effective as the top level guys.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2011, 03:27:47 pm »
But skill always remains the most important factor.
false.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2011, 03:28:11 pm »
There's some aspects of the old cRPG that's good and all, no doubt about it, for example I would prefer the old XP/GOLD (or even the area one) over multiplier, because multiplier makes people quit as soon as they drop down to x1, or they due to having it for ages no matter how good they do due to auto team (im)balance - absolute banner balance would no doubt fix that though.

BUT, in essence the old cRPG is nothing else than a chance to truly have an overpowered character, either on levels, gear or what not. 100% that most people who prefer it do it for the sole reason of being able to stomp a lot of people with worse gear, specs or level, once you've retired a bunch of times, got the WPF far up, got a bunch of levels etc, the game becomes incredibly unbalanced, yes you can still beat a high level overpowered guy, but that is not due to a level playing field IN ANY WAY, it is due to those people sucking, so obviously they suck even more in new cRPG with a level playing field.

IMO the only reason to play the old cRPG for real is because you do not like an equal playing field.

Not that the current cRPG is flawless, hey what game is though, but so far I haven't seen a single good suggestion anywhere - ever - that could solve the XP/Gold system properly. Pioneer work gentlemen.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2011, 03:45:18 pm »
IMO the only reason to play the old cRPG for real is because you do not like an equal playing field.

It's not as serious, which brings more fun. At least that's my opinion of it.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2011, 03:52:45 pm »
How is it not as serious as new c-RPG? I think it's all about how serious you make it, you don't have to take the new one seriously either.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline slothscott

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: AEF_BigBird
« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2011, 03:56:02 pm »
Although there is still incentive to win no multiplier just makes it feel more relaxed.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2011, 05:22:09 pm »
check the poll results before 'a lot of players etc..'
It's sitting at 40% prefer classic coke, warts and all. The other 60% had no clue how to play a peasant anyway, and would rather play a more cerebral (i.e. tailored for slow thinkers) game like chess :P

lol that you compare muscle memory and twitch reaction to chess...
I don't know enough

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2011, 05:23:10 pm »
M&B combat system rewards good thinking as much as twitch reactions and muscle memory.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2011, 05:31:38 pm »
I kind of wish that the new crpg was a lot more like the old one in that:

The gold rate needs to me 10-20% it is now, so that you actually have to save up to get good gear, but the upkeep should also be 10-20% of what it is now.

Same exact thing, just it takes a bit longer to get the fancy equipment like in old crpg. When I played that I remember saving up for days to buy studded undercoat and thinking that hey, now I actually count on the battlefield.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 18, 2011, 05:38:41 pm »
Old cRPG sounds like whoever plays the most gets to play the game like single-player Warband; riding around fully armored with a 120+ length sword on a horse mindlessly swinging at enemies who have no chance of hitting or hurting you as everyone else bunches into a herd.
And how!

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2011, 05:41:13 pm »
I kind of wish that the new crpg was a lot more like the old one in that:

The gold rate needs to me 10-20% it is now, so that you actually have to save up to get good gear, but the upkeep should also be 10-20% of what it is now.

Same exact thing, just it takes a bit longer to get the fancy equipment like in old crpg. When I played that I remember saving up for days to buy studded undercoat and thinking that hey, now I actually count on the battlefield.

That sounds all well and good. Did you think of what would happen if that would be implemented right now? I'd be sitting around with all my high-tier items while anyone who's starting gets some change thrown at them every once and a while, oh, and I pay less taxes.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 05:42:37 pm by SixThumbs »
And how!

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2011, 06:04:38 pm »
+1
Old cRPG sounds like whoever plays the most gets to play the game like single-player Warband; riding around fully armored with a 120+ length sword on a horse mindlessly swinging at enemies who have no chance of hitting or hurting you as everyone else bunches into a herd.
Sigh.. and this sounds like the uninformed opinion of someone who has not tried it.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Loar Avel

• Knight
  • Renown: 58
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Lady_Marlyse
« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2011, 06:16:33 pm »
Old CRPG is fun, because now it's paysan war, and a lot of player can't do anything without their heavy lordly armor and masterwork weapon.

Their soo easier to kill   :twisted:

I also prefer the old XP/GOLD, tick is good, but XP and gold indexed on the number of death is more rewarding.
We should use the old way for Xp and gold, but for the fight happening in all the map.

Except that... New is much better, balanced etc, etc, etc...

The world is split in two categorie.
The one digging, and the one with the loaded crossbow.

But never forget that the one digging, got a big shovel.