Poll

What would you like to play?

Classic cRPG
153 (39.8%)
New cRPG
231 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 383

Voting closed: December 24, 2011, 03:08:12 pm

Author Topic: Classic vs New cRPG  (Read 16001 times)

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
Re: Classic vs New cRPG
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 04:38:14 pm »
Pros of the old system : Throwing weapons flew where you pointed them, sort of. They were inaccurate as all hell, but they didn't drop in the dust infront of your target, 20 yards away. No upkeep.

Cons of the old system : All plate, all the time. Blobs of people having to be on top of each other to get xp/gold ; and people that actually used tactics such as : flanking, skirmishing, scouting, cavalry got absolutely nothing, even if they gave their team the win. All plate, all the time. Pre-upkeep, post retirement patch, people having 250 wpf at level 1, allowing them to stack strength and still have all the wpf they needed. All plate, all the time.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 04:39:10 pm »
+1

I can't believe people actually think the old system was better.
Thats why chadz should rehost the old version on a server. To get everybody's nostalgia glasses off.

It was severely flawed. But, with our current balance, it could work. However only if you had a full wipe every two months. Which could be a fun experience.

Alternatively, good things should be taken from the old version and put into the new version. Cause there were things that worked better back then, and things that don't work as well now.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 04:39:36 pm »
I cant believe People actually think it wasn´t better.

Yeah, that's simply your highly subjective opinion, it still does not make it true.
Monkeys!

Offline Cris

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Cris, Cris, TestSubject
  • IRC nick: Cris
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 04:40:32 pm »
Classic cRPG with tweaks.

Meaning Ways to make Plate more unattractive to wear all the time(Severe movement disadvantages or something).

And everything upped in Price by 50%(Weapons and armors)

Riding back to 1 per 5 Agi

Leveling back to the old System, but Softcap at 30 like now.

And stuff like that.

Riding was every 6 agility :-) And if you dont like cav, you are actually benefited by every three point, becuase horses required less riding before and now to get the same horse you use more skills point :)

(click to show/hide)

Old system with upkeep and less advantage for WPP after 160 or so if you ask me.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 04:43:30 pm »
I'll give you a "perhaps"
Awesome.Im gonna sniff on it and rub my dick against it so I come.

Yeah, that's simply your highly subjective opinion, it still does not make it true.

So is yours.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:44:44 pm by B3RS3RK »
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 05:04:36 pm »
+4
Old cRPG = fun
New cRPG = balanced ±
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 05:05:39 pm by Blondin »

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 05:08:23 pm »
Pros of the old system : Throwing weapons flew where you pointed them, sort of. They were inaccurate as all hell, but they didn't drop in the dust infront of your target, 20 yards away. No upkeep.

Cons of the old system : All plate, all the time. Blobs of people having to be on top of each other to get xp/gold ; and people that actually used tactics such as : flanking, skirmishing, scouting, cavalry got absolutely nothing, even if they gave their team the win. All plate, all the time. Pre-upkeep, post retirement patch, people having 250 wpf at level 1, allowing them to stack strength and still have all the wpf they needed. All plate, all the time.

Everyone just remembers the last 2 months of old cRPG and so sees through shit-covered glasses.  It was actually really fun and tin cans were REALLY rare until the end, same thing with heavy horses as the gold and xp you got per kill was absed on the level of the person killed so in the beginning you only made 50 gold in a round when you won not 200.  No one had the crazy wpf at level 1 until the last month or so as retirement was only 1 time a week so it took about 2.5 months of retiring to get to that point and only if you grinded like crazy for gold as it got prohibitively expensive very quickly.

And this shouldn't be an either/or.  chadz was proposing having a couple servers with the old website doing old cRPG with no patches/updates, while still focusing on current  cRPG.  I for one would love to have that option in addition to the current cRPG, definitely more than things like CTF, stronghold, and defend the virgin (which we still will have).  SInce everyone starts as a peasant and its not the main cRPG, it will be 5-6 months before the imbalances really start showing up as it takes a LOT of playing time before the linear/exponentional curves become game-breaking.  Wouldn't mind a simple reset at that point.

Unlimited levelling, it really mattered what you bought and people's outfits became their signature as it was expensive to sell and change into new gear, because gold/xp was based on a radius to the battle - archers/xbower had to be closer to the front where melee was fighting so it was easier to catch and kill them especially with your 9-10 athletics ninja shielder but it was expanded near the end so even cavalry and people doing side flanks of reasonable distance made a decent anmount of gold/xp.  I think it would be fun to try for a lot of people who were not around for it, especially the peasant battles where the first person to get a short bow was a god.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 05:10:02 pm by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 05:14:17 pm »
chadz was proposing having a couple servers with the old website doing old cRPG with no patches/updates

chadz was proposing having a couple servers with the old website doing old cRPG with no patches/updates for people who pay
FYI.

Offline Horns_Archive

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 05:16:23 pm »
Good work old farts on ringing the young wipper snappera up to sate lol. All I remember was great maul was 900 gold back then lol and stuff had cooler names like the sword of cookies and the looney tunes axe(may it rest in piece) and the log maul was a pole hammer and looked like a stick with a rock on the end of it lol

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 05:16:30 pm »
+1
Old.

One thing, that counts for more than all the item balancing, upkeep, and every other change made.

Horseback staffswing.

Offline Spurdospera

• Earl
  • Renown: 315
  • Infamy: 20
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Spurdo...
  • IRC nick: Spurdo
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 05:18:38 pm »
+1
Old.

One thing, that counts for more than all the item balancing, upkeep, and every other change made.

Horseback staffswing.
Also staffcouch.
Quote from: Mortemer
spurdo is as useless as my hat.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 05:23:23 pm »
3 Words

Lance of Compensation
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 05:33:40 pm »
chadz was proposing having a couple servers with the old website doing old cRPG with no patches/updates for people who pay
FYI.

The most recent posting by him made no mention of that:

"Actually, I might give this one a try. See how long it works out until it crumbles from plated knights on elephants.

Not saying we're doing it, but if we do, understand that:
- support will be almost nonexistant,
- same for updates,
- strategus obviously won't work with it either,
- website will be the old, horrible one

and some other things. We'll discuss it and see if it could hurt the cRPG we actually like to continue improving."

What you mentioned was a random statement months ago when this idea had once been tentatively proposed when the upkeep patch was coming out and people were raging on the forums and he proposed a pay to play version based on before the patch and it was shot down because you can't charge money for a mod.   The problem is that it would likely be impossible without violating the copyright of the owners of Mount and Blade Warband.  I could see asking for a certain level of donations or something like that, but actually paying for the mod would sadly be a copyright violation. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 05:34:46 pm by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 05:36:17 pm »
It wouldnt be a Copyright violation if Classic cRPG access was only given to Donators.So play cRPG for free - ok , but if you donate you can slo play the classiv version if you like :D That would be cool.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2011, 05:46:18 pm »
classic = classy, epic, nostalgia and fail.