Poll

Do cavalry really need to be able to 1 hit (Couch)?

Yes (State why)
No
Who cares
Trollllll

Author Topic: Question regarding couch  (Read 6373 times)

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
Re: Question regarding couch
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2011, 11:23:47 pm »
Aren't those ranged weapons ? Variety of tactics ? Like equipping invisible pike/light lance, longest 2h weapons can stab the horse and kill it in one shot (? with old animations they had the chance, i dunno if it's possible with new) - if they fail to kill they are dead.

I know that ranged can counter couch, thats why i said 1h/2h are dead/shieldless.

I see where you are coming from.

I will concede that 1h weapons are at a distinct disadvantage, but 2h weapons in crpg have plenty of length. Often they can safely attack the cavalry's left side. On top of that, using the map's terrain,  a clever infantry will still have plenty available options.

On flat plains, with no cover, cavalry will have an advantage, but it is the responsibily of server owners to evaluate maps for rotation and ensure they are balanced.

There are still plenty of ways to counter a couching cavalry. I still don't feel that couch is easy-mode or in any way overpowered against a knowledgable opponent
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Tigerclaw

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Diadochi
  • Game nicks: Tigerclaw
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2011, 12:06:09 pm »
I concur; when I'm not playing cav I play hoplite, and I'm always glad when a cavalryman charges me with his lance couched because the attack patterns are more predictable and easier to counter.

Offline Krakatit

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Krakatit
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2011, 12:11:18 pm »
Classic jump to a side can be effective enough to dodge couching lance. And when youre good enough you can even hit the rider when you are midair most of the time you kill the rider, even with 1h weapon.

Offline Tigerclaw

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Diadochi
  • Game nicks: Tigerclaw
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2011, 12:53:59 pm »
I had this happen to me the other day, was about to couch a fellow in the back while he was in melee, and he spin-jumps and one-shots me with a one hander, leaving me laughing at myself while my riderless horse plunges onward...

Offline Krakatit

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Krakatit
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2011, 03:04:01 pm »
You should see the satisfaction in face of that guy :D

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2011, 05:23:57 pm »
I see where you are coming from.

I will concede that 1h weapons are at a distinct disadvantage, but 2h weapons in crpg have plenty of length. Often they can safely attack the cavalry's left side. On top of that, using the map's terrain,  a clever infantry will still have plenty available options.

On flat plains, with no cover, cavalry will have an advantage, but it is the responsibily of server owners to evaluate maps for rotation and ensure they are balanced.

There are still plenty of ways to counter a couching cavalry. I still don't feel that couch is easy-mode or in any way overpowered against a knowledgable opponent

Yup, best option is to not going alone in the open against cav and keep your eye on the terrain. There are plenty of option to avoid this threat, but not on every map, and sometimes you are forced to follow your noobmates into ultimate doom.
"Clava curva pie vinco"