Poll

Do cavalry really need to be able to 1 hit (Couch)?

Yes (State why)
No
Who cares
Trollllll

Author Topic: Question regarding couch  (Read 6378 times)

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
Re: Question regarding couch
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2011, 09:10:13 am »
Tbh i dont think couching is in any way overpowered... everytime i am riding i get killed if i start to try it.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2011, 11:06:20 am »
the thing about cav is, cav is REALLY high risk, you gotta ride in and all damage you deal or take is multiplied by your speed. One or two good hits kill most horses, also they cost a SHITLOAD
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline POCOMAKA

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Brodnics
  • Game nicks: Brodnic_WereWolverine
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2011, 11:11:27 am »
the thing about cav is, cav is REALLY high risk, you gotta ride in and all damage you deal or take is multiplied by your speed. One or two good hits kill most horses, also they cost a SHITLOAD
+1
POCOMAKA [sounds: rosomaka] - wolverine in ukrainian.
Ancient warrior totem - Wolverine carries with it the passion for truth, learning and pursuing goals with fierce determination.
Instant justice in cRPG:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 11:38:02 am »
Given couching is one of the riskier and easier to botch things to do as cavalry, it's fine.

What would be broken/too good is great lance being able to thrust. Thrusting >>> couching.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 11:39:20 am by bruce »
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 12:08:23 pm »
Wait wat, the barmace ct was overpowered because of its lenght but this unblockable 1hitter is fine ? Sureeee :D lol

Offline bruce

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2011, 12:15:05 pm »
Wait wat, the barmace ct was overpowered because of its lenght but this unblockable 1hitter is fine ? Sureeee :D lol

You can easily evade/kill the horseman doing it... couching is much much less useful then simply stabbing with a lance. Great lance thrusting, what the OP secretly wants, would be much more OP then couching is.
Best ban reason ever:
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2011, 12:30:37 pm »
You can easily evade/kill the horseman doing it... couching is much much less useful then simply stabbing with a lance. Great lance thrusting, what the OP secretly wants, would be much more OP then couching is.

You can easily evade a barmace overhead, no wait it's even easier because the barmace isn't fucking charging at horse speed. I demand a couched barmace for equity :D

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2011, 12:36:23 pm »
This thread was made because people keep on whining on 1 hit weapons and so they get nerfed.

Yes couching is risky but don't tell me it's hard to aim + the terrible hit boxes polearms have which can hit you even if your on the side. Now that cavalry can get riding to 7+ easily as been pointed by many people including my cav has 7 riding a normal rouncey for example becomes very fast, now take into consideration the horses with high maneuverability + 7 riding and you can turn as fast as you want.

Yes deaths from a couch is not something which happens a lot tough there is some cases were there's cav/ha with a couch only spear but like I said the point of the thread is people whine that there shouldn't be 1 hit weapons but couch is fine to 1 hit people? and no this is not a whine on the barmace/long iron mace that needed a nerf anyway too fast to crush through.

But I rest my case as the most annoying thing happening in this mod now ranged spam everywere it's getting to a point I'm barely logging now as 1hers is the viable build against anything now.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 12:37:40 pm by Vexus »

Offline bruce

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2011, 12:54:00 pm »
This thread was made because people keep on whining on 1 hit weapons and so they get nerfed.

No they don't.

A multitude of weapons, 2h and polearm, onehit most targets. Nobody sees a problem with it.

now take into consideration the horses with high maneuverability + 7 riding and you can turn as fast as you want.

And then you don't couch anymore.

the point of the thread is people whine that there shouldn't be 1 hit weapons

No. They're complaining about weapons which can't be blocked, outspammed, outmaneuvered or anything else. You can kill them with throwing weapons, that's about it. Nobody complains about the maul... sure, you can't block it, but you have *options*. Vs a barmace you don't.

It's like comparing a couch only great lance vs a imaginary great lance which can thrust and crush through block when thrusting.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 01:40:16 pm by bruce »
Best ban reason ever:

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2011, 01:16:01 pm »
No they don't.

A multitude of weapons, 2h and polearm, onehit most targets. Nobody sees a problem with it.

Thing is those weapons need PS like 7+ in other words invest in more strength than agility to be able to 1 hit effectively and that is not always going to happen against some people with IF and high armor but a couch + horse speed can 1 hit even at low level with low PS.

And then you don't couch anymore.

There's so many long lances (2 couch only) but let's say you only have one so what? it takes less time then a xbow to reload to reuse it and you would still need to go away since to couch you need to get some speed first.

Couch spears weren't so deadly before but great lance now has 35 pierce forgot how much it had before, 35 pierce + horse speed and not blockable unless with shield makes it very powerful.

No. They're complaining about weapons which can't be blocked, outspammed, outmaneuvered or anything else. You can kill them with throwing weapons, that's about it. Nobody complains about the maul... sure, you can't block it, but you have *options*. Vs a barmace you don't.

It's like comparing a couch only great lance vs a imaginary great lance which can thrust and crush through block when thrusting.

Like I said I'm not whining because bar mace/long iron mace are getting nerfed I don't even use them that was just a point because some would probably mention it.

Couch is not blockable without shield I don't know if this chamber is true since couch has no animation so which side would you attack to chamber an attack with no animation?

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2011, 01:42:27 pm »
Couch spears weren't so deadly before but great lance now has 35 pierce forgot how much it had before, 35 pierce + horse speed and not blockable unless with shield makes it very powerful.

before you had lance with 382 reach, you sure they werent deadlier from what we have now ?
and couch is the only answer to guys that keep holding lower block all the time.. well you can bump them to death but it might take whole round with the nerfed bumping damage

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2011, 01:44:06 pm »
People tend to make stuff up in order to have their primary class buffed and the others nerfed, i have no idea how chambering a couched lance works, if at all. The barmace reference was just to compare 2 identical situations, a nonblockable attack that you can only dodge, being treated so differently. I also agree that with the limitations they have, the only solution was to remove ct from that weapon, but the same applies to couched weapons, only short and slow weapons should have that unblockable 1 hitter. You can block with a shield (but still need to dodge the charge or you might get hit anyway), but most of the time it gets destroyed on 1 hit. Then you can't block it anymore.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 01:45:18 pm by Ganon »

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2011, 01:49:55 pm »
I don't know what your problem is guys. There is no problem whatsoever to dodge couch unless you are unaware of cav's coming, and in that case even thrust would kill you. As was said, when couching the horseman can't manouvere, or only a very little. If you have problem with jumping aside, you deserve to die. There is yet to be a situation where a jump in the path of the horse would not save me from couch. Yes you might get bumped for minor damage. Still it's a good trade-off for not being dead.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2011, 01:58:44 pm »
There's so many long lances (2 couch only) but let's say you only have one so what? it takes less time then a xbow to reload to reuse it and you would still need to go away since to couch you need to get some speed first.

I've played a cavalryman on quite a number of chars, typically with a lance, and I've never, not a single time, used it couched. Why? It's basically useless. It works only on flat terrain vs perfectly unaware opponents. Since you don't know for sure they're perfectly unaware, since flat terrain is often hard to come by, and since it's easier to kill them with a lance thrust, which almost as deadly on a normally built char. Plus you can get people who try to evade with a thrust, while you can't maneuver AND couch the lance.

Your further comments indicate you don't understand lances and couching at all. But rather then trying to explain why you're clueless, let's focus on the important part:

Like I said I'm not whining because bar mace/long iron mace are getting nerfed I don't even use them that was just a point because some would probably mention it.

Yes, you are.

Have you noticed nobody really whines about the maul? Y/N? That's because a maul is counterable. Not trough blocking, but it is counterable. As is a couched lance. Now, the heirloomed barmaces are a wholly different thing.

For all I care, remove couching. Across all the cavalry characters I've built since I started playing crpg I've maybe used couching ten times. It's almost useless. When's the last time you saw someone using the great lance and not the heavy lance? Yeah. But sure, ask for it to be removed if it bothers you so. If you think it will however hurt cavalry, you're just stupid. On my alt I had 800 kills with a lance before I retired it, zero of which were scored by couching.

However, don't justify completely op weapons existing (aka barmace) by couched lances, it's not going to work, and is outrageously stupid.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 02:00:12 pm by bruce »
Best ban reason ever:

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2011, 02:28:40 pm »
It wasn't me who brought back this thread I left it slide down because with all the throwing, xbows and archers on maps you die more on them it's just a cav doesn't really need a couch and that is MY opinion lances are enough and if they keep on blocking you can use a melee weapon or bump slash.

And no again I'm not whining on mauls I mentioned the mauls like ganon said because you could crush through with a fast weapon and guess what next patch you won't simple as that.

Now if the hitboxes on thrusts were not crap this thread wouldn't probably have been made but that's another story.