Author Topic: chadz, we want the classic version of CRPG  (Read 16591 times)

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
Re: chadz, we want the classic version of CRPG
« Reply #150 on: December 14, 2011, 04:20:23 pm »
Braeden, you forgot Bane and is 2h tin can cav...!

Btw, I don't remember any native clan at this time.

Anyway, it seems that nostalgia is not only about game mechanics, but also about community, sure cRPG was less known, there was one server, and a small nice community.

The number of peasants that followed these three guys around was quite funny. If they could keep up with them when they were on foot, of course.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 14, 2011, 06:34:57 pm »
In the old one absolutely ONE guy did that. And it was The_Finn. You are wearing reversed nostalgia glasses.

There is one thing that might be responsible of my disliking of the current state of cRPG, apart from the changes. It's probably how the melee skill metagame evolved. Back then, skill was 40% blocking, 30% feinting, 15% Footwork, 10%Holding, 5% Chamberblocking. Now it's more like 80% Spam/Footwork and the rest is near useless. After one and a half year of MP Warband, it was to be expected to see the average player "breaking" through the "intended" combat mechanics.
Wait what?

So you are saying that everyone uses spam and footwork to win a fight? I just wish that was the case, but the thing is, people can block nowadays. Which wasn't the case a year ago. I remember still seeing an overhead as an attack that people would often fail to block. Not anymore.

How can you spam and use footwork if you can't block?

I assume you mean hiltslashing with spam by the way? Otherwise spam is very easy to beat. Old fashioned spamming was much worse in the old days. People could armor and wpf crutch. Very few people can do hiltslashes now, and even fewer dare to do them in battle. I get loads of kills with holding and feinting. If you think those are useless, you're doing it wrong.

Offline AgentQ

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 14, 2011, 06:40:51 pm »
I support this!

Forget the upkeep, and give us back the unrestricted lancing and old polearm animation on horseback!

I am fine with everyone in plate.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2011, 11:14:00 pm »
How soon can we do this?????  I am not looking forward more to anything than this since strategus 2.0 was about to come out.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #154 on: December 14, 2011, 11:17:54 pm »
+1
Looking forward to seeing Boulder On A Stick and Loony Toons Axe again.

Offline Greziz

• Baron
  • Renown: 112
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kerin__Grahm_BRD, Linden_BRD, secretary of BRD
« Reply #155 on: December 14, 2011, 11:18:08 pm »
+2
I WANT CLASSIC! I DO WANT. I just can't be bothered to like new crpg as much as old crpg I MISS heroes and the crazy shit that used to happen.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #156 on: December 14, 2011, 11:18:43 pm »
+1
Old times were best times, I do miss full time in plate and all sorts of sheninagans, I aprove.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Remy

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remy_the_Fox
  • IRC nick: Remy
« Reply #157 on: December 14, 2011, 11:25:27 pm »
the nostalgia I feel towards the old cRPG doesn't mean I want to see it's return, it means I have fond memories of that time, much like I have fond times of my 12th birthday party it doesn't mean I want to relive it even if it didn't mean (time to be not so subtle but it was the first thing that came to mind for obvious reasons) that today, 8 years on I have to work instead of playing pass the parcel.

This...  :D

Fox, Horse Archer, Tker of Chagan.

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
« Reply #158 on: December 14, 2011, 11:37:40 pm »
+1
I remember just hoping fedor was on my team, and if he was, I and many other peasants would line up behind him and enjoy the exp.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2011, 01:32:54 am »
+1
As a "veteran player" I can wholeheartedly say that this current version of cRPG is so much better than it used to be. It was great, it was great.
I have no idea what the turnover rate for new players actually was but I would put money on it being much higher back then than it is now (ie, how many new players actually played for a good time than left.) because of the just frankly, ridiculous peasant game.

There was no banner balance, there were tincan archers, there were insane builds, the exp system was good for what it was, it was fun, for a time but that time has passed and no matter how much people will look back, and I do, and think "heh, that was good, I enjoyed that a lot" it will never be the same.

I dislike the new exp system but I also disliked the old one, they've both got their annoying flaws and not everyone will like either of them, or any system for that matter. I'm not a high kill count player, I have mediocre skill and i've practically reached the top of my game with regards to equipment (going downhill in terms of actual skill) and therefore I would prefer a system based on how much you helped the team, be it through "saviour" moves (stop damage on an ally) or simply how much damage you caused to the opposition minus what you caused to your team.

If you look at all the big named games out there, Battlefield 3 for example since most people will have played it lately, their exp is based on what you do, you don't necessarily have to get kills to get high exp and nor does winning actually effect anything, they have multiple ways of getting exp depending on how you most want to play, be it reviving allies, fixing vehicles or just simply camping with a rifle and waiting for the unsuspecting fool 1000 feet away to walk into your scope.
Theoretically transplanting that into cRPG with what I can't say would be a light workload for the devs would give something that might be reasonable for all.

My personal view that wouldn't screw things up and would increase the amount of teamplay would be to reward people more than a multiplier does. Not by counting the number of kills that a player makes but by some value of how much impact he makes for both teams, whether or not it's to stop someone from murdering their ally, killing a high value target or just basically being plain lucky and surviving the odds on low hp till your team wins it out.

I have little idea of specifics past "saviour" and already done "teamplay elements" would be implemented and I would have to give a lot more thought to it but as general rule, the nostalgia I feel towards the old cRPG doesn't mean I want to see it's return, it means I have fond memories of that time, much like I have fond times of my 12th birthday party it doesn't mean I want to relive it even if it didn't mean (time to be not so subtle but it was the first thing that came to mind for obvious reasons) that today, 8 years on I have to work instead of playing pass the parcel.

In short, things have moved on, sure there is more room for improvement, maybe little bonus's with the exp system (which appears to be the main thing that people want back from the old days, or a more refined, edited version of it at the very least), i'm inclined to stay with my set hours of gameplay to reach a certain level and have a nice laugh with the community while dead instead of whining about how I could have done something different that running into the middle of the mob and getting my head cut off by someone.

This is a real big wall of text and I apologise for that, but if you take the time to read it then thanks but to paraphrase;

Nostalgia is memories of old times you enjoyed clouded by time to obscure some of the less desirable traits and it should stay in the past. Reliving it would be fun for a while but would ruin a good thing. New cRPG is much better than the old one.

This would make sense if chadz removing the new cRPG for the old one, however this isnt linked to the cRPG dev teams, complainers can still play the new one and nostalgics go back on the LLJK server, gain no benefits and have their fun.

Offline ponyboy

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ponyboy_BRD
« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2011, 01:37:38 am »
+1
I'd much rather have the mod move further in the direction it's currently heading and farther away from the earlier versions; more focus on player skills, less grind, less level and gear and looms crutching, a clearer distinction between classes and less silly MMO-World of Warband atmosphere.

A small xp bonus for kills or k/d ratio would go nicely with the otherwise pretty good current xp system, though; it's not as if people aren't already frag horny enough so I don't think it will necessarily bring about a surge of TKs.

If people want to play multiplayer M&B where everyone uses similar quality gear, has similar stats, and it is all skill based, then play native. That's exactly what native multiplayer is. 

The whole point of the RPG element is to be able to have an advantage over other players based on grinding levels and gear.  The direction cRPG is heading is one where everyone wears almost equal gear due to upkeep, and almost equal stats around lvl 30.

At the mod's current rate of progress, and largely even now, cRPG will be like playing native with custom looking armor and clothes.  Essentially this mod will be the Mount&Blade fashion show mod, with a community and stat tracking.  I call it cFashionshow.

Lets not get into heirlooms, which is the only thing not making this mod cFashionshow.

And if the decision is to take away all noticeable gear and stat advantages, than ok.   But at least don't fib and call it an RPG mod.  Even now leveling to 30 and buying gear is meaningless.   Call it cFashionshow or something else.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:45:22 am by ponyboy »

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2011, 01:40:38 am »
+2
I just wonder why those opposing this are basically opposing that a bunch of guys independant from the cRPG dev team want to host a server with the old cRPG, nothing will change on the new one  :rolleyes:

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2011, 01:47:09 am »
+1
The whole point of the RPG element is to be able to have an advantage over other players based on grinding levels and gear.

Please, direct me to the statement from any of the devs that actually says this? Because from what I remember, and could possibly linked you to, chadz always said that that is exactly what he didn't want the mod to turn into. I think it's actualy a part of the post when upkeep patch went live.

Offline Kivlov

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tungsten_HATS
« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2011, 01:50:18 am »
+1
Why are people saying this game wasn't fun for new players? I came in to this game about 4-5 weeks before the changes to retirement and I had way more fun playing than I am now. (Not to say that it isn't fun right now but it's just not the same type. This now feels more like just a battle game, or a FPS instead of what I had originally got from the mod.)

Sure there were a few unkillable death machines like Goretooth, Rich, Lady but that's what made it fun. You had to find a good place near the XP to leech off kills without getting killed and running in to save a teammate as a peasant was glorious. Busting out of a ruins with 3 wooden shields to block with my face for someone and then dying and watching the person I just saved kill the guy I saved him from was awesome. Felt like I had accomplished something as a peasant instead of just waiting idly for enough XP and gold to buy a longsword and start spamming like people do now.

HATS CLAN
meow

Offline ponyboy

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ponyboy_BRD
« Reply #164 on: December 15, 2011, 02:31:54 am »
+1
Please, direct me to the statement from any of the devs that actually says this? Because from what I remember, and could possibly linked you to, chadz always said that that is exactly what he didn't want the mod to turn into. I think it's actualy a part of the post when upkeep patch went live.

I'm pretty sure the point of the RPG part is not to role play as an elf.  But yes,  acquiring an advantage is the point of the RPG element to me and a lot of others least.  I agree the devs don't seem to share that, and I have explained that getting rid of this advantage makes it the game play the same shizzle as native, with the cFashionshow mod.  Its not going to be an RPG anymore in this direction. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 02:36:42 am by ponyboy »