Author Topic: chadz, we want the classic version of CRPG  (Read 16581 times)

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
Re: chadz, we want the classic version of CRPG
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2011, 10:41:34 pm »
Yeah, well, you should also remember that levelling, earning gold for gear (even cheapish one) and such took a LONG time in old crpg. Like, REALLY LONG time. Do you really think you'll have the endurance to GRIND HARD to get even proper light armor, whilst not having access to all the new stuff that has been introduced to cRPG since upkeep? As well as all the broken stuff that was there?
Sure, it sounds fun, but i know i won't ever get past lvl10 there.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2011, 10:45:38 pm »
Yeah, well, you should also remember that levelling, earning gold for gear (even cheapish one) and such took a LONG time in old crpg. Like, REALLY LONG time. Do you really think you'll have the endurance to GRIND HARD to get even proper light armor, whilst not having access to all the new stuff that has been introduced to cRPG since upkeep? As well as all the broken stuff that was there?
Sure, it sounds fun, but i know i won't ever get past lvl10 there.

Fuck ya!
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #122 on: December 13, 2011, 10:47:40 pm »
+1
Old version had a grind for gold but no upkeep, new version has a grind to level and high gold that even selling 1 loompoint can make you get from 1-31 without suffering upkeep thanks to the 400k gold from selling the loompoint.

Both have their timesinks but in the latter it's too easy to get gold while too boring to level (Ok in my opinion).

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2011, 11:32:30 pm »
+2
The slower speed allows for more tactical thinking in combat, and chambering for all. The faster speed meant sub-25 ping was an instant win button. It really does punish our west coasters, and people with shitty internet. Even though I personally had more fun in high speed duels (you may recall my whine about the current speed) and such, I believe cRPG's current version is far more balanced than anything it used to be- even if we're talking about the sub-35 levels of the old version.
Chess allows for even more tactical thinking, as we seem to have reached turn based combat :P

Always been my least favourite argument in favour of slow speed.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Whalen207

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • If I see that fucking pickle one more time...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: [Guard_Whalen207 [Guard_Whale_Tosser [Guard_Whale_Tank [Guard_Whale_ArrowSpam
  • IRC nick: Whalen
« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2011, 11:47:48 pm »
chadz, just setup a second database.
I'm sure you saved the format from the old versions..... RIIIIGHT?   :lol:
Arma 2, Mount and Blade, Garry's Mod and Coloholics Roleplayer, Coder, Mapmaker and Moderator.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2011, 11:52:19 pm »
I'm sure you saved the format from the old versions..... RIIIIGHT?   :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue_IRWgpojw&t=26 :mrgreen:

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Bothersome_Aldryk

• Baron
  • Renown: 124
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2011, 12:16:49 am »
+2
Man, I enjoyed old cRPG quite a bit, and that was looking on the tail end of things when everything was ridiculous. I would play the shit out of an old cRPG server. A ton of my favorite memories were of the onoes, so unfair peasanthood experiences. Like Balbaroth chasing me across an entire map with a torch, as I went over mountains and through lakes to try and escape him. Guts swinging a flamberge at me at mach 2 due to his 300 wpf, but killing him anyway by jumping over it and hitting him. Trying my best to survive while getting a few hits in, knowing that one mistake would kill me.

I could go on, because my nostalgia is at maximum. The short time I got to experience the game during the older versions of cRPG was probably one of my favorite gaming experiences.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:18:08 am by Bothersome_Aldryk »

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2011, 12:50:56 am »
People just like old shit. If the "new" crpg was old and the old new, the pining would still be there, just with different arguments. It's like everyone's teenage music.

I played the old c-rpg and it sucked as a coherent, balanced game compared to what we have now.

Better idea: Make a Team death-match game-mode with no upkeep/gain and higher game speed

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2011, 12:59:44 am »
+2
In the old one everybody walked around with black armor riding on these elephants etc.

In the old one absolutely ONE guy did that. And it was The_Finn. You are wearing reversed nostalgia glasses.

There is one thing that might be responsible of my disliking of the current state of cRPG, apart from the changes. It's probably how the melee skill metagame evolved. Back then, skill was 40% blocking, 30% feinting, 15% Footwork, 10%Holding, 5% Chamberblocking. Now it's more like 80% Spam/Footwork and the rest is near useless. After one and a half year of MP Warband, it was to be expected to see the average player "breaking" through the "intended" combat mechanics.

Offline hippy_with_a_scimi

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Balbasaur
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Balbaroth since the dawn of times
« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2011, 01:02:21 am »
+1
Man, I enjoyed old cRPG quite a bit, and that was looking on the tail end of things when everything was ridiculous. I would play the shit out of an old cRPG server. A ton of my favorite memories were of the onoes, so unfair peasanthood experiences. Like Balbaroth chasing me across an entire map with a torch, as I went over mountains and through lakes to try and escape him. Guts swinging a flamberge at me at mach 2 due to his 300 wpf, but killing him anyway by jumping over it and hitting him. Trying my best to survive while getting a few hits in, knowing that one mistake would kill me.

I could go on, because my nostalgia is at maximum. The short time I got to experience the game during the older versions of cRPG was probably one of my favorite gaming experiences.

oh man i forgot that i used to chase you with a torch lol , also you made me remember Guts , now im sad where is he along with my old timers like fedor and company...

maybe its a sign for me to leave this game , im getting  old as Rhyden Pc :\
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 01:03:47 am by hippy_with_a_scimi »

Offline Kenji

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • Casual Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2011, 01:24:01 am »
OP should make a poll and see if the title states the truth or not.

I, for one, do not want the classic version of cRPG, at all.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2011, 01:25:07 am »
OP should make a poll and see if the title states the truth or not.

I, for one, do not want the classic version of cRPG, at all.

Likewise. Looking at how it was done, it was imbalanced. Also, I for one do not want to play in a game that would be "fixed" by a forced wipe every few months. I avoid those games for a purpose.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2011, 01:27:53 am »
Back then, skill was 40% blocking, 30% feinting, 15% Footwork, 10%Holding, 5% Chamberblocking. Now it's more like 80% Spam/Footwork and the rest is near useless. After one and a half year of MP Warband, it was to be expected to see the average player "breaking" through the "intended" combat mechanics.

QFT.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 14, 2011, 01:38:52 am »
+1
oh man i forgot that i used to chase you with a torch lol , also you made me remember Guts , now im sad where is he along with my old timers like fedor and company...

maybe its a sign for me to leave this game , im getting  old as Rhyden Pc :\

They're gone and dead.

Grey/Guts is still around though, been playing some Battlefield 3 with him, he's just not playing cRPG anymore because the general consensus from oldies is it sucks and isn't fun enough to bother with anymore.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2011, 01:45:31 am »
I thought we banned Grey for something about exploiting...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.