Author Topic: So I wanna be a Gallant knight upon a grand STEEEEED! But I require assistance!  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Player_01

• Knight
  • Renown: 77
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Balls deep!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Former Union Knight (FUK)
  • Game nicks: Emperor_Loki, FUK_Loki_STF, Roseash
  • IRC nick: Player_01
You see, I wish to be one of those armored gentlemen that shove a lance/arming sword up your arse when you least expect it and then get arrowed down promptly. I'm just not sure how to balance my armor/weapon/horse costs on this new (new for me, it's been two months since I touched c-rpg) fangled upkeep system!

I need your help from you fellow assholes gentlemen that ride horses. What sorts of equipment do you suggest for the economic cavalry, what beast should I place my lordly posterior upon whilst I ride it into battle?

Edit: I would also like an opinion on what sort of sword I should carry, would a scimitar make a good blade from horseback. Heavy lance or light? And am I reading this right, bec de corbin can be used on horseback?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:56:33 am by Kneegrow »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
Well you probably want a rouncy and a courser so you have an econ horse and a more expensive one. Otherwise distribute your equipment to equal horse cost + equipment =25k and you are ok.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
You can choose different paths :

- Cav anticav :

Heavy lance
(facultative) shield
A self-defense weapon . One hander, two hander is better if you can block.
A horse chosen for it's maneuvrability : steppe, desert or sarranid. Obviously, try to use the sarranid as much as possible, it's a wonderful horse.
light armor. Because those horses are damn expensive, and you really don't need armor if you play accordingly to your skill and equipment setup.

Avoid archers and any kind of ranged attacks. Concentrate on defending your team against bump & slashers. If you feel confident, try to lure HA's to your ally archery.

- Bump & slash

a lance for defense against cav
a shield (allmost mandatory)
a onehander (twohander if you are confident). Never tried two hander cavalry myself, and allmost never seen anyone doing that, but some very powerful twohanders are usable on horseback (the hopefully-soon-to-be-nerfed barmace for example)
A powerfull horse, with armor, health points and charge damage. Your "good times" horse will probably be the destrier, and the economical choice will be the rouncey. Depends on the amount of character armor you want.
At least medium armor, because you don't want to be onehit when your horse dies. You'll be an arrow magnet, so armor really helps.

I played a few days recently with 37k gear : rouncey, tunic over mail, mail coif, mail mittens, splinted leather greaves over mail, knightly arming sword (+2), knightly heather shield, heavy lance.

I switched to that same equipment with the lance replaced by a pike and no horse for stupidly done CS-like maps. What I use isn't really my idea of medium armor (tunic over mail is the higher tier of light armors). But it's to use the regular set of my clan.

Concerning the one hander you want to use, there are various choices :

if you want to have ghost reach and use the uber fast ones :

- the spammitar
- the side sword
- the pick (yes it's ridiculous but the reach is ten times longer than what you see)

now if you have self-esteem :

- the morningstar
- any high tier straight sword

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
Cheap Horse: Steppe or Palphrey
Armor: Anything not too expensive, 4k body armour, 3k helmet, leather boots tops.
Weapons: Heavy lance and Polearm of choice/Onehander
Shield: is optional, get the best possible.

Normal cost horse: Sarranid or Courser, Sarranid has just OP manouvrability.

High cost horse: best is Cataphract, Charger or higher if you are bold and got deep pockets.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
When you have a few skill points that you dont need put them into athletics then you can fight on foot on all those anti-cav maps and make money.

Leather Jacket, Khergit Leather Boots, Pike, Staff, Long Hafted Blade, these are all cheap and good weapons for footmen.

Horses, I ride the Rouncey most of the time,

but I have planned on rebuying the Plated Charger for the lolz. The Mameluke is better, though.

The cata or normal charger are almost as worse as the Sumpter in my opinion. Dont touch them, a waste of money in my opinion they are only good for horse archery, but not for Knights.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
if you want to be economical horseman, first thing you need is at least 8 riding skill, so you can use even slow horse [Rouncey, for example] with good speed and be speed demon on courser.

Here is build:

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 15
Agility: 24
Hit points: 54
Converted: 8
Ironflesh: 2
Power Strike: 5
Shield: 0
Athletics: 0
Riding: 8
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 0
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 8
One Handed: 113
Two Handed: 1
Polearm: 150
Archery: 1
Crossbow: 1
Throwing: 1

You can place wpfs like you want, but this build is best i think.

Second: you must use not TOO heavy armour due to wpf deacrease with heavier equipement in use.

Third: you will use probably heavy lance.

Fourth: you should use few horses: i suggest Palfrey/Rouncey as cheaper one and Courser as faster one and if you want to be tank, get some armored horse.

Fifth: other weapons, such as 1h etc. is your choice.

Sixth: You should use equipement with approx 30k cost overall, but as horseman you should remember one very important thing: your horse is really often border of death and live. So first invest in horse, then in lance, then in other weapons, then in armour.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 05:15:44 pm by Dravic »