Author Topic: Team Balance  (Read 714 times)

Offline Auphilia

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 190
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Team Balance
« on: December 10, 2011, 11:13:25 am »
+10
Greetings fellow senators and citizens of a fine community, I stand before you with a proposal.

As we all know, it is very possible that a team can be stacked immensely, making the game...less enjoyable...for the unfavorable side. One of the causes is simply preferred gear on each team. For example, it is not uncommon to find one team stacked with all of the heavy cavalry, which in turn, encourages a flawless victory time and time again. Or perhaps, all of the heavy infantry is stacked onto one team, units that must be hit countless times before actually falling in battle. It wouldn't be too unreasonable to revise some of our current balance mechanics, I believe. So now, for my suggestions:

1. Add an additional balance mechanism that balances team wealth.
For example, a team that is using 2m worth of gear would never be VS a team using only 800k worth of gear. It would be far less common to see a team stacked with heavy cavalry or heavy infantry.

2. Add an additional balance mechanism that balances team weapon profession.
For example, most players specialize in a specific weapon profession, the balance system would take this into consideration and divide the teams with roughly the same weapon profession total. What this will do is make it less common to encounter teams stacked with archers and crossbowmen. It will be uncommon to endure spectating twenty archers camping as all of your team members systematically get picked off, largely due to hopelessness. It would also be uncommon to have to watch a hand full of archers running in opposite directions to avoid the melee confrontation of the superior team, which more often than not, has no archers or cavalry left.

I believe with these new additions, along with our current balancing systems, cRPG would be a much more enjoyable experience for us all.

Offline Blashyrkh

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Team Balance
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 11:20:06 am »
this is pure gold

+1
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 11:20:48 am »
As long as the multiplier exists balance will never be fixed, nor would most players actually want it to be so- no matter what they say. Balanced rounds mean hopping from x1 to x2 then back to x1, maybe x3 on a good day. People are all about those looms son, there would be a mass exodus.

Offline Duke

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 11:24:42 am »
As long as the multiplier exists balance will never be fixed, nor would most players actually want it to be so- no matter what they say. Balanced rounds mean hopping from x1 to x2 then back to x1, maybe x3 on a good day. People are all about those looms son, there would be a mass exodus.

Uhh, the default exp/gold payout could always be increased if this happens, so it's a bullshit reason to argue against a better auto-balance.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 12:16:04 pm »
Uhh, the default exp/gold payout could always be increased if this happens, so it's a bullshit reason to argue against a better auto-balance.

You found an argument against a better balance there? Interesting.

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 11:06:55 am »
I noticed this too, esp since the last patch.

I have the feeling that there is more cav around (well maybe I just see that as I'm cav now). And often the balance is just - well - unbalanced. One team gets like 3 cav, the other 6 or more. Same happens to archers, on team has the majority of the archers when the other team has like 2 or 3.

The easiest to get a real balance would be to let players choose a class for there char (archer, cav, infantry, hybrid). On the other hand this would limit players in some ways.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Remy

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remy_the_Fox
  • IRC nick: Remy
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 05:01:26 pm »
Both suggestions sound interesting, though in practice it may be less useful.

Definitely worth a try though.  :D

As it is one of the common problems with balance as far as I can tell, where the teams end up with completely skewed number of classes.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 05:02:50 pm by Remy »

Fox, Horse Archer, Tker of Chagan.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 07:45:08 pm »
Suggested similar idea months ago, several times.

Was it even noticed?

Take a guess..
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 07:48:51 pm by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!