Author Topic: For the first time I actually feel a bit... stomped upon...  (Read 3937 times)

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
Re: For the first time I actually feel a bit... stomped upon...
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 07:33:38 pm »
In this kind of cases they always say the same ---> use marketplace, and you should do it  :lol:

Only accept it if I had another 100k - 200k on top. In effect my heirlooms lost 200k gold.
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 07:56:31 pm »
PS: the only thing i dont understand is why heraldic mail with tunic has better armor then surcoat or tabard.
It actually would have been the perfect heraldic for archers and could have been balanced into that price and weight category.

Look at the arms.  It's perfectly reasonable that they have higher body value.

And op, you lost some cRPG money for not figuring out that those are one and the same model, deal with it. Why don't you piked up the one which looks better ?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 08:04:29 pm by Lech »

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 08:21:08 pm »
Because it is a lighter armor. Now it changed to a med. armor?!
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 08:44:16 pm »
Because it is a lighter armor. Now it changed to a med. armor?!

They use the same model, why you assumed that the one you chosen will stay lighter ? :shock:

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 08:58:44 pm »
No one told me Tunic over mail would get bumped to medium armor?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 09:10:29 pm »
+2
They use the same model, why you assumed that the one you chosen will stay lighter ? :shock:

That's like saying to the Haitians, "why you assumed that there wouldn't be a earthquake today ? :shock:"

My guess is, the dev team prefers hiding the imbalances behind several curtains of fucking up people's equipment by changing it for no reason (no suggestions related to this, no justification, no announcement). Instead of really experimenting with it, carefully changing one factor at a time. There wasn't a single balance patch that got it's job done without massive collateral damage. And as always, players have to suck it up when their heirlooms become shit due to collateral damage, even when there is zero balance argument backing the nerf.

Dev team doing it wrong. Not letting people choosing what they want to stop using and begin using after balance changes means inaccurate statistics. The time it takes to react to that kind of change is enormous for an average player, thus the balance mechanism goes extremely slowly (change -> adaptation -> revelation of imbalance -> more accurate change -> adaptation etc.) . The statistics are completely unreliable, as people won't use what they think is what they should use (they got heirloomed X while they think Y is better, but can't change to Y because they got no heirloom refund and the marketplace price difference is not in their favor). Adaptation to change is either very slow or nonexistent, even though there still are imbalances, and so the balancing cycle is broken.

This "no refund" strategy only has negative effects : pissing players off and obfuscating the game balance. Through allowing people to get back heirloom points for all the modified items, the dev team would go a long way towards balancing the game. More freedom means imbalances revealed a lot faster and with less uncertainty.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 09:25:10 pm »
No one told me Tunic over mail would get bumped to medium armor?

tell me about it.  They bumped my lordly turban helemt ot light armor (1 less weight), but then made it 22 armor from 40 head armor, HUGE FUCKING NERF!!
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 09:47:28 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)

Not a single patch convinced me of the balancing team actually knowing what it's doing there...

I whish they would publish at least a few of their calculations to show how they are working and what they want to achieve... if there are any calculations at all...
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 10:05:00 pm »
+2
I remember they said they wouldn't do any major stat changes again, because they were happy with how things were.

My personal biggest issue is that the Board Shield was switched from 1 slot to 2 slots, even though it doesn't weigh more than 8 pounds. Glad I was cautious enough to not believe them, and never heirloomed my now useless shield. This oppression against Rhodok Crossbowmen must end!

On a more general scale, myself and others noticed and complained that the surcoat armors had their body armor reduced to the point that it was equal with armors half the price. I wanted this fix. Well, they didn't buff the body armor back to 40. Instead, they increased the weight and price of the armors below the surcoats. So, my stats remain worse, but now so are many others. Ah, balance.

The balance team has a weird philosophy that has nothing to do with promoting fun: Nerf everything equally so that everyone feels cheated. Someday we'll all be using stones and wooden swords, and they'll nerf those too.

Maybe it's the fault of the community, too. Everyone is selfish and only asks for nerfs. Well, we got them.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 10:41:46 pm »
+1
What makes me wonder so much is the weird behaviour of the devs.

They behave (and probably feel) like some kind of demigods, who bestow their magnificient patches from above the clouds on us. We never see them, they never talk to us, but their blessings are suddenly there, and we have to deal with them. Because we common mortals could never understand such ingenious decisions like making pikes unable to block, horsebumps wounding the rides or making the only difference between bodkin arrows and masterwork bodkin arrows having 2 more shots in the quiver.

---

A nice start to balance things would be to make some temporal changes to character creation:

- Always being allowed to respecc without any penalties (or let's say for the price of 100k gold or something like that, so that you can't test all builds within an afternoon, with a 48h cooldown)
- Always being allowed to switch loom points between items (again perhaps with price and cooldown)

Yes, this would probably kill the marketplace until those changes are made undone, but it would allow the developers to exactly see how the community will behave on long term.

It would be some kind of "time lapse", showing within a week where some changes would lead to, where you needed months before. So if you have 80% archer population a week after the patch, you can immediately tweak a few values and see how the community reacts.

To be honest, all I want to hear is that someone is taking care of the game balance seriously, with some kind of "plan" or "goal", using calculations and server statistics and whatnot, instead of just "tweaking by the seat of the pants"  :?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline godhanger

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: godhanger
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 01:16:37 am »
+1
Just so my opinion is heard, i am unhappy about the 2-slot board shield. Maybe it makes sense, but it has really shit on the only shield i will use (aesthetics, sue me).

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 02:37:42 am »
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Blueberry Muffin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 749
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 02:49:55 am »
+2
I got Lordly Blue Tunic Over Mail. Did I choose it because I liked its stats? No. I chose it was because it was the most blue armour that I could find.

And guess what? Its still blue. Hip hip hooray!

Ontopic: Can see your viewpoint though...
Lizard_Man: Fuck all that! Rather buy me 4 cans of Stella..
Cymro: Wife beater stella
Lizard_Man: It'll get ya drunk! You'll be fucking fat girls in no time! You might even fight a nigga or two! Mmmm-mmm, bitch!

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 02:51:31 am »
+1
It's all about style points baby!
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 05:07:12 am »
+1
I remember they said they wouldn't do any major stat changes again, because they were happy with how things were.

My personal biggest issue is that the Board Shield was switched from 1 slot to 2 slots, even though it doesn't weigh more than 8 pounds. Glad I was cautious enough to not believe them, and never heirloomed my now useless shield. This oppression against Rhodok Crossbowmen must end!
+1

I am sad that I cannot use the board shield with my arbalest anymore.
Professional poop cleaner