Poll

Do you *enjoy* Strategus?

Yes I do. I would like for it to be developed further
93 (37.8%)
Yes I do but I think cRPG needs some more love
59 (24%)
No I do not. I would prefer if its development was ceased to further improve cRPG
64 (26%)
No I do not but I don't want it gone
30 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 246

Author Topic: Strategus, the poll  (Read 7589 times)

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
Re: Strategus, the poll
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 08:11:38 pm »
Strategus is the only reason I play this game as regularly as I do. Without it, I would probably duel every now and then and that would be it. I know that some of the people I play with feel the same way. Keep in mind that our faction does things a little differently, and so our people are generally involved regardless of leadership status.

I mean, fuck, what other games allow you to fight for virtual land with the best combat system I've ever encountered? Granted, we haven't had anything awesome (maybe... that Order of the Fury Blades vs. Hate village battle) in awhile, but I remember one or two battles that conjured scenes from epics last Strat, and even more from the Strat before that.

And don't forget, we have fucking catapults and shit now- it's just that no one has the gold to use them properly.

I'm not too fond of the details (I like the broad strokes idea) of the current version of Strategus, but I have faith that it will improve.

Some things that could help improve individual playability:

Shared bonuses on player marriage- divorce incurs a penalty.

Assassination is possible, with 1 attacker involved in the battle only. If successful, it takes the player out of the game for a small number of days.

Champion Warfare option. Non-clannies with giant e-peens could offer to champion some faction or other.

Some sort of infiltration mechanic. 

« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 08:19:18 pm by Kalam »

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 08:33:44 pm »
Shared bonuses on player marriage- divorce incurs a penalty.

To hell with you Kalam, you wanna make this old crippled fool even more handicapped then he already is.......Lisa, Rose, Mala, Vicky, Coy....how many more of these bloody penalties you wanna apply on me ???  :rolleyes:

(click to show/hide)
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 09:00:20 pm »
+1
CRPG's balance issues (read: archers) should be addressed. assuming you play crpg regularly strat might take up about 5% of your time - log on, give your sheep to a guy, log off. have a battle occasionally. i don't think crpg should just be left twisting in the wind for strat. the balance issues fucking up CRPG will also affect strat once people get enough gold to let their archers use the currently broken hornbow-bodkin combo.
FREE ALLERS

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 09:24:21 pm »
The only thing they need to address in c-rpg that I can think of is the door bug in Siege.  First round of siege, all doors are half health.  This has never been fixed and I guess never will be if there are no developers interested in Siege.

Siege maps still need work but that could be fixed with mapmakers rather than developers.

"Archer imbalance" is laughable since archers are still very rarely topping the charts.  #1 is almost always a premier cavalry guy.  If there is no premier cavalry guy, it'll be a premier two-hander or polearm guy.  Premier archers top the charts only rarely.  Balance is actually better than ever now.  People just don't like it because they don't want balance -- they want their two-hander/polearm to be unbalanced and they cry when it's not.

They could certainly look at changing/adding to the battle server map lineup but that doesn't take a developer.

So other than the one glaring siege bug, I see no reason not to keep focus on Strategus.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 09:36:41 pm »
totally agree. I'm just running out of ideas :P
Crazy idea. You can't transfer stuff. AT ALL! No gold, troop, equipment or Trade Goods (ok, maybe trade goods) transfer. BUT! You can still reinforce people who are gonna fight (no time slots, all the time you want up until the battle starts), you can also "Follow" (should be improved from what it is now) and maybe some other stuff. Basically everyone is their own Warband, everyone doing their own stuff independently or in a groups where they are actually together.

Crazy idea, I know.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Gnjus

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 09:36:46 pm »
+2
"Archer imbalance" is laughable since archers are still very rarely topping the charts.  #1 is almost always a premier cavalry guy.  If there is no premier cavalry guy, it'll be a premier two-hander or polearm guy.  Premier archers top the charts only rarely.  Balance is actually better than ever now.  People just don't like it because they don't want balance -- they want their two-hander/polearm to be unbalanced and they cry when it's not.

(click to show/hide)
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 09:56:47 pm »
+1
chadz :)

I love the idea of strategus.. But perhaps it's just too slow?

What if it was greatly sped up, so that there were more, and faster battles? What's wrong with having 6 epic scale battles in one evening?

I'm thinking that it would be cool if you could move really fast around. Of course it would reward the "always there" members more than those who check in once a day, but even so, does it really matter?

If it was sped up, 1 player could gather an army alone in an active week and a attack a village the week after.

I think SPEED vs PLAYERBASE is a keyword. Perhaps one more server should be dedicated to strat.. Dunno :)

Just a solution for something of an easy fix. Resets would also happen more often..

Edit: And speed in a beta-phase wouldn't hurt either I think. Potential exploits and problems etc would be discovered quicker.

Edit2: And thanks for the loompoint!!

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 10:28:55 pm »
(click to show/hide)

My advice is don't make the devs examine balance any further or you'll see cavalry and long reach melee weapons nerfed.  I can support my position by playing c-rpg and screenshotting the scoreboard every round.

You got nothin'.
(click to show/hide)
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 11:10:01 pm »
You were foolish to think that this was the goal.
Who said anything about goals? It was merely something I expected down the road, or at least hoped for. I was foolish enough to think it was possible, this has nothing to do with goals.

Looking at the past, strategus was more of a spin-off for me than anything. C-rpg was the reason people came to this mod, the reason I came to buy warband even! Yet it's getting ignored big time now.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 11:57:30 pm »
chadz, if you have trouble with coming up with ideas, steal them. Copycat Total War, Europa Universalis and Lords of the Realms. Only thing is you need to adapt features for multiplayer and make them balanced.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2011, 12:10:31 am »
+3
and make them balanced.

With THIS dev team?  :rolleyes:  :wink:
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Gnjus

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2011, 09:36:09 am »
My advice is don't make the devs examine balance any further or you'll see cavalry and long reach melee weapons nerfed.  I can support my position by playing c-rpg and screenshotting the scoreboard every round.

You got nothin'.
(click to show/hide)

You're either NA or you tell the truth only by accident.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2011, 11:11:29 am »
NA.

(click to show/hide)
Norse Horde

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2011, 12:01:54 pm »
+4
The driving force behind the archer scare is hysteria and probably trolling from some selected individuals who actually know better.

Archers are too effective in Strategus because of the low amount of armour, horses and quality shields arounds. Also it is a lot cheaper to field an archer instead of a halfway decently armed/armored infantry man. That's why clans seek to increase their amount of ranged and especially archer mains. I have seen it in the clan I am. I'm pretty sure that if there is an increase of archers on the servers it is because of Strategus and not because archery suddenly went OP. Archers in Strategus will most likely change in some way to make them less effective. However in normal cRPG I firmly believe they are fine.

I tried it out, I recently respect my old 1 slot archer, taking away his melee abilites to make him a pure archer using 1 slot bow and bodkins only. I'm not a bad shot but this is my least effective class performancewise. With all other set ups I have a greater impact on the round outcome - even with the joke builds. Maybe with looms that would change drastically but I somehow doubt it.

The light armor and reduced awareness compared to a crossbowman(reloading) is a bad combination for me. With no other "class" I am as vulnerable to cav sneak attacks. Armor usually allows me to make at least one mistake in a round, a luxury I don't have as an archer. Also my damage output is rather low even with the expensive(increased break chance) bodkins. I usually end up shooting other lightly armored ranged instead of targeting armored inf.

In Native (where ranged is about twice or trice as effective) it has always been a running gag to tell a 2h or polearm guy to "buy a shield" if they complained about ranged. Different to Native in cRPG going without a shield as inf a viable option - even with skilled players on the other team. In fact, along with (expensive to maintain) melee cav, 2h and polearm guys perform best if one takes k/d ratio as an indicator. The same indicator that suggests that on average archers are pretty much at the bottom of the food chain, sharing the honor with our beloved throwers.

And still it's unacceptable that shieldless inf has more or less a natural counter in archers. Getting shot is unfair. Getting told to buy a shield is racism.

Offline Gnjus

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2011, 12:07:32 pm »
+3
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)