Author Topic: Controverse suggestion: fief ownership  (Read 8452 times)

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
Controverse suggestion: fief ownership
« on: November 25, 2011, 10:28:44 am »
+2
This is what is currently planned:

Every day at midnight, fief owners get their share:

You gain owned_population*100 as XP to cRPG,
You gain owned_population*5 as gold to cRPG

I know many will hate this, but I feel this could be enough incentive to stop the carebear alliances that drag strategus down so much. If you are too large for your own sake, then you suffer. I'm about 85% sure of really doing this (=trying it out, if it sucks I remove it again), unless someone can bring up a good point why this is a bad idea.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
Re: Controverse suggestion: fief ownership
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 10:35:54 am »
+1
I do not see why fief ownage in strat should give any advantage in cRPG, isnt that enuff?  :mrgreen:

How could the solution you came up with actually prevent the carebearing? The big alliances will just swap ownership in order to milk the bonus, if they like, and the smaller guys will be screwed cause now the big fractions will want more fiefs for moar bonuses. Imho this will just help eradicate smaller factions and the huge war machines will stay untouched.

edit 1: also, do not forget the piss off factor this might launch, as yeah, if earthd is right with counting, then yeah, 50k exp and some gold for practically doing nothing is retarded, on the contrary fief owners should have more troubles keeping them, than advantages, so the only really good management guys will be able to stick to big number of fiefs.

edit 2: The idea of split between whole faction on strat is quite nice, even tho the bonus would be so small it would be the same if there was none.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 10:42:23 am by Cepeshi »

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 10:36:55 am »
+5
Quite like it, as a clan leader i'm quite inclined since this'll push me towards level 33 slowly enough!  :rolleyes:

I would personally not quite do it as the person who owns the fief but more a split between the faction or similar? This would increase the want for fiefs but the more people in the faction, the less of a share that they actually get.

I assume by carebear alliances you mean the ones where there are several clans under one name as opposed to alliances between differently named factions (such as Fallen Brigade, HRE being allied but no under one faction name).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 10:39:58 am by Tennenoth »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 10:37:23 am »
So like.. 50000 xp for a fief? I'm not sure if I like that.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 10:53:18 am »
Do NOT like. This gives too much advantage to people who people who play Strat over people who don't like/play Strat. Not everyone who is playing cRPG is playing Strat.

Why not make fief ownership bonuses about Strat only? For example, make them give # of goods to fief owner every midnight?

« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 10:59:06 am by Vibe »

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 10:59:57 am »
+1
Because that won't have the desired effect. It wouldn't matter what workhorse has the fief.

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 11:03:51 am »
LOLZ! He actually used the term "carebear alliances".

I like the idea, but damn will this start causing some internal strife in some clans. I'll sure as hell be taking a larger claim to territory in Fallen if this kicks in. What about a wartime production bonus. It's not rare for a country going to war to increase production significantly. Why not apply these principles to Strategus?

Win or lose, for each battle you're in where both sides have over a certain number of troops (let's say 20), each member of the faction has a +1% chance of both recruiting and crafting in any fief they're in and +2% if it's a faction owned fief maxing out at 100% for the next 24 hours. So if a faction gets into 5 decent sized battles in one day, then they can have a +10% crafting/recruiting chance in their fiefs which could help offset overpopulation. And for every battle where both sides have over 1000 troops, the faction members get double production (they produce 2 goods or recruit 2 troops per hour instead of 1) for the next 24 hours. That particular bonus could worth both by stacking or extending for another 24 hours if multiple 1000+ troop battles happen within a single day. I think that would increase battles significantly. And the double production would probly encourage large scale wars which are really the funnest.

Another powerful incentive would to give speed bonuses to more battle active factions. They're more experienced in war, so therefore they could logically be better organized and move faster. Maybe just a simple log fuction. So where small_army is the number of troops of the smallest army involved in a faction battle:
speed bonus percentage = log(small_army)
So for the next 24 hours, faction members get that speed bonus percentage that stacks up based on all the other battles that happened in the last 24 hours for the faction.

EDIT: Just realized this significantly benefits huge clans so if the ideas are actually used, the bonuses should somehow be divided by the number of members in the faction
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 11:17:24 am by Dehitay »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 11:06:40 am »
+1
and how exactly is rewarding fief ownership supposed to deter huge carebear alliances?  thats a pretty dumb idea honestly.

(1)  Increase strategus benefits (gold, heirlooms, exp, etc) for putting in hours of play in cRPG, to reward active members of community and not multiaccounters and AFKs

(2)  Add in corruption of fief (lowered crafting, recruiting, taxes/visting fee % lost) based on distance from capital city...ya know..like civilization had since 1990s
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 11:07:46 am by Digglez »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 11:10:09 am »
Are carebear alliances or big clans or both the problem? Because I doubt this would fix the problem.

Big clans will have lets say about 10+ fiefs and 50+ members, which means 1 fief / 5 people. Small clans are not able to hold as many fiefs, lets say they will be able to hold 2 fiefs with 10 members... so pretty much the same case?

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 11:12:06 am »
Are carebear alliances or big clans or both the problem? Because I doubt this would fix the problem.
From what I gather, the problem is that he wants more war rather than passive behavior. Which is why I gave suggestions to reward violent behavior.

Offline Segd

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 11:15:43 am »
+1
30k XP + 1.5k gold? Love you! But I hate this purple "Lady ... entered the battlefield" Makes me feel I am a gay  :cry:

Offline Erasmas

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The crows had come
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Erasmas_the_Grey
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 11:27:59 am »
+3
I think that chadz is actually misjudging who owns the fiefs. It is a responsible job to hold the fief, it cannot be done by the "workhorse", it has to be someone really active and devoted.

For  that reason +1 to the idea, it rewards guys who spend more time in Strat at the expense of cRPG. I guess it is contrary to the intended rationale, but ... well, the idea is good.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 11:38:29 am »
For  that reason +1 to the idea, it rewards guys who spend more time in Strat at the expense of cRPG. I guess it is contrary to the intended rationale, but ... well, the idea is good.

But, why should you get advantage in cRPG by playing strat? That is just plain stupid if you ask me. It should really be the other way around, if something (moar time in cRPG, more strat goodness)...this way the people who care about strat are not losing anything, but also the people who dont are not being disadvantaged.

It is all about time management, the people play strat cause they want to, if they do it on expense of crpg time, it is their choice. And tbh i think except few very very dedicated people the guys manage strat while at work or while they cannot play regular crpg, not instead. (Also dont forget quite some time you can spend as dead guy on battle :P)

Why not to make an inactive army lose troops over time, not for upkeep, but for boredom? You know, the soldiers want to fight, and when there is nothing happening, they get bored and go work as fletchers or something  :mrgreen: There could be timer like few days, and if you did not had any battle within the faction in that time, you would have a chance to lose some percentage of troops every 8 hours or so. This would force people making battles somewhat, also would prevent hoarding large armies for long time.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 11:43:04 am by Cepeshi »

Offline Zaharist

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 76
  • cRPG Player
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 11:49:38 am »
I love the idea of fief ownership bonuses.
Managing fief atm is hard task, that requires time. Bonuses will encourage ppl to take care about faction's fiefs.

But it won't ever make factions start fighting not loving
Igni et ferro

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
  • Renown: 415
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dalhi
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 11:50:30 am »

But it won't ever make factions start fighting not loving