Author Topic: How To: organize your clan crafting  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
How To: organize your clan crafting
« on: November 23, 2011, 03:16:56 pm »
+7
Attention clan leaders, officers, organizers and people who have a fetish for fiddling with data.  Here is a handy method for helping get your clan crafting in order for Strategus.  These are elite Norse Horde secrets which I share with you because I hope to see Strategus succeed.

I will tell you how to very easily make a complicated looking spreadsheet to help you track all your clan's crafting info.  It looks harder than it is and you can have it setup and loaded with your own data in about 2 minutes.

https://docs.google.com

Create --> Spreadsheet

In the spreadsheet, click "Share".  I advise changing it to "anyone with a link" but you can also keep it private and add specific people who can access it.

Here's a snippet of the Norse Horde spreadsheet:
So:
1) Create your column headings, exactly like ours ("Merchant cost" is optional, but helpful)
2) Have people go into strategus and highlight their crafting and copy it (Ctrl-C on Windows), like so:

3) Have them go to the Google spreadsheet, find the bottom of your data, highlight the 4 main columns, like so:

(If they have previously entered data, they should sort by name and delete all of their existing entries, then re-sort and continue with step 3.)

(See at the bottom where I have columns 2-5 selected)

4) Hit "Paste".  This will correctly paste in all your data.
5) Have them fill in column #1 with their name.  The easy way to do this is to type it once, then grab the lower right corner of that box and drag it down the row.  This will copy the name for the rows you select.

Done!

Some general tips:

* Click the upper left box to select all data

* The best way to sort your data is to select all of it, then go to Data --> Sort Range --> check "data has header column" and pick the column you want to sort.  This will guarantee you sort the whole spreadsheet properly.

* If you want to do "Merchant Cost" like I'm doing it, here is the formula:  =round(-(E2/(D2-1)))  Type it into the top column then copy it down the row the same way I said to do the name in step 5 above.  Note that this is a calculated value and will be a little off from the real merchant value.  (This is due to "cost" being a rounded value.  So it's a little off but it sure beats typing all those numbers in by hand.)

* If you don't want members accessing your spreadsheet directly, perhaps because your clan is full of douchebags, then note that copying from a forum doesn't seem to work -- the forum loses the tabstops that tell the spreadsheet where the columns are.  Two ways around this:
a) Have them paste it into a forum that you have moderator access to, then go in and edit their message and copy-paste from there.  This works for phpBB forums, anyway
b) Have them paste it into a text document, like notepad, then upload that as an attachment.  That should work.

Note that I'm pretty new to this myself and am not an expert and might even be doing some things wrong/dumb, but this has been very helpful for us.  Let me know if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:07:07 am by Slamz »
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
Re: How To: organize your clan crafting
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 03:51:15 pm »
Thank you Slamz, this is really helpful! We are using Google spreadsheets ourselves to stay somewhat organized, but most members can't be bothered with typing in their values and keeping the documents updated. This is why I like your easy copy&past solution - the less effort, the more likely people are to fill in their info.
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline Zaharist

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 76
  • cRPG Player
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 04:19:34 pm »
hehe nice
Igni et ferro

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 04:37:06 pm »
DRZ didn't already have such tool?

Otherwise you are fucking good at organization and discipline ;)

Offline Dasty

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Among the Shadows
  • Game nicks: Dasty, Dasty_ATS
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 04:41:50 pm »
+1
If you want to go more in depth, organize your clans crafting by item type, such as head armor, body armor, polearms, etc... Then you can add a new parameter which I have called Production efficiency.

To calculate production efficiency you need to find the max cost of that item type so you do a MAX(E$1:E$15) (assuming your price is in column E and your first item type goes from 1 to 15 in the columns) then you divide that by each items individual cost and then multiply by each items skill. This gives you a good estimate on what is the most cost effective and fastest item to craft. It is a little skewed to the cheaper items but you can get a good idea of what you want to craft from it.

The final formula should look something like this; =(MAX(E$6:E$26)/E6)*C6.

If you copy and paste this down the row, the cell reference without the $ should change but the ones with $ should stay the same. You will need to change the formula for each group of item types.

Hope someone finds this useful.

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 07:40:34 pm »
Wow, data entry is so much easier with your spreadsheet. The one we use has a crapload of formulas. Any time a new row is needed, you have to copy an existed row to keep the formulas and then go back and overwrite all the data cells. I'm jealous of copy and paste. However, the formulas do end up making it more useful

Offline JihadistMexican

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
  • God Bless
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Gay One
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 07:55:31 pm »
+2
I feel the same Dynamike. I made a spreadsheet for the clan and none of them use it. They are a bunch of useless n00bs who don't have the brain power to put in two numbers every couple of days.  :evil:
"I know were gona lose strat, but lets leech all the xp we can."

Offline Segd

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 06:06:17 am »
DRZ didn't already have such tool?
Sort of. But we store data only for valuable crafting such as champ rounceys, cs, mw arbalests etc. I hope we will have mostly mw items on our first castle siege.

I don't see any point in crafting items which have less discount than from crafting goods. For example:
you can craft goods from 3 to 13 g\h & sell it for 100-120(shariz area-kulum, kulum-Bariyye with 5 & 25 good prise gives 153g per good)
so you need to have about 25 skill in pitch fork to have 100g(25*4) discount per hour.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 06:28:54 am by Segd »

Offline arowaine

• Duke
  • Renown: 614
  • Infamy: 159
    • View Profile
    • http://occitanclan.webs.com/
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_Arowaine
  • IRC nick: arowaine
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 06:13:28 am »
a lot of people have already that kinds of tools ! some people are slow hehe
Desire: pls smite FCC 2.0 T.T

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 07:21:02 am »

The nice thing about this method is the easy sharing.  Lots of people use spreadsheets but sharing one between several people isn't convenient.  This is one thing that Google Docs has made a whole lot easier.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 08:50:54 am »
Spreadsheets are for nubs.

Use a DB and a few lines of SQL later you have that fully automatized. Maybe a little additionnal messing with Perl to import the data in easy formats.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 10:13:49 am »
Yeah, someone should make a guide for that.  ^^^
:rolleyes:
Norse Horde

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 11:31:26 pm »
Spreadsheets are for nubs.

Use a DB and a few lines of SQL later you have that fully automatized. Maybe a little additionnal messing with Perl to import the data in easy formats.

Or you could cast "portal: realm of reality" and walk thru it to join the rest of us

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 02:16:36 am »
I don't see any point in crafting items which have less discount than from crafting goods. For example:
you can craft goods from 3 to 13

Because you can make 30 of them in an hour.  That keeps it well worthwhile.
Norse Horde

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 03:57:50 am »

HUEHUEHUE of course Arowaine already knows. Jesus people, you're all slow.