Author Topic: Trading: real world example  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
Trading: real world example
« on: November 21, 2011, 05:43:00 am »
~40 km travel
+108% faraway bonus
Selling price 49.42 gold

We made these goods for ~3 gold each?  Call it 4 with the visiting fee (which technically we keep since we own the village?)

We did a run with 1000 goods.

Profit = ~45,000 gold

Now bear in mind that going 40km with 1000 goods took literally over 3 full days and that was a straight shot almost entirely over plains.  I *could* have gone to a much closer location and sold the goods for a profit of about 25 each, but I made more money by going 40km away, even counting the round trip.  By the time I get back, there will be another load of goods ready to go.  (The return trip will be much faster now that I have no crates.)

I don't mind telling you all this because
a) I think it's worth the example.  Once strategus is fixed, I think it will be worth it and we should see a lot more people trying it and a lot more good battles as a result.
b) I don't actually plan to do that again until chadz fixes the "lost equipment" bug.  Too much risk with that bug in place.  So no point in trying to ambush me because I won't be back until chadz finally finishes Skyrim.  :-p

If not for the bug, I would have kept going even further and could have made a great deal more money.  I think another 20km or so would have been prime money making country.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
Re: Trading: real world example
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 07:43:06 am »
Note to self: Attack NH_Slamz on sight.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 08:23:15 am »
Note to self: Attack NH_Slamz on sight.

Too late.  Can't loot gold!

If you see me with 200 crates, though, that might be a good time.  (Though I won't be doing that again until looting is fixed.  I'm ready to arm my caravan with full metal gear, heirloomed longspears, heirloomed bows, etc.  THEN we'll see about that long trek into the desert.  It's not a problem of money anymore, at least.  There's plenty of money in trading!)
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Graf_Hodenschaf

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Trade Guild
  • Game nicks: Graf_Hodenschaf
  • IRC nick: Graf_Hodenschaf
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 05:37:21 pm »
Thx for that info, Slamz. The hard thing is to know which village is rich and which one isnt. This would shorten your journey alot!
Livestreaming crpg:  twitch.tv/beerman_aut

Offline Gheritarish le Loki

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 06:19:53 pm »
Thx for that info, Slamz. The hard thing is to know which village is rich and which one isnt. This would shorten your journey alot!

Send a scout with horses, you can go at 99 speed on quickmarch.

Slamz, your info are only valuable for clan, because for small merchant it's easier to make short travel, i'll have to wait a very very long time before i could have 1000 goods...

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 06:20:26 pm »

Yes, traders should have a clearing house for information about such things.

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 07:24:58 pm »
~40 km travel
+108% faraway bonus
Selling price 49.42 gold

We made these goods for ~3 gold each?  Call it 4 with the visiting fee (which technically we keep since we own the village?)

We did a run with 1000 goods.

Profit = ~45,000 gold

Now bear in mind that going 40km with 1000 goods took literally over 3 full days and that was a straight shot almost entirely over plains.  I *could* have gone to a much closer location and sold the goods for a profit of about 25 each, but I made more money by going 40km away, even counting the round trip.  By the time I get back, there will be another load of goods ready to go.  (The return trip will be much faster now that I have no crates.)

I don't mind telling you all this because
a) I think it's worth the example.  Once strategus is fixed, I think it will be worth it and we should see a lot more people trying it and a lot more good battles as a result.
b) I don't actually plan to do that again until chadz fixes the "lost equipment" bug.  Too much risk with that bug in place.  So no point in trying to ambush me because I won't be back until chadz finally finishes Skyrim.  :-p

If not for the bug, I would have kept going even further and could have made a great deal more money.  I think another 20km or so would have been prime money making country.

You didn't factor in how many troops you had, and how much that costs in upkeep. To move 1000 goods at max speed would require 2000 troops, no?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 09:43:40 pm »
In my region i have seen such caravans. A lot of them were ambushed quite often by bandits.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 01:34:55 am »
You didn't factor in how many troops you had, and how much that costs in upkeep. To move 1000 goods at max speed would require 2000 troops, no?
Horses. And it's 2 troops per CRATE, not per trade goods.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 01:35:33 am »
It was worth it even at minimum speed.  You will make more money carting those goods across 40+km than you would make spending that same amount of time sitting in a village, crafting and selling.

Let's examine...

10 days crafting = 240 goods @ 4 each (really I think the cheapest would be 2.5 if you owned the village, but let's say 4)
Travel to and from selling location takes 1 full day to sell for 30 each at a nearby place that has a base goods cost of 25, plus a small travel bonus

Goods sold for 7200 - cost of 960 = 6240 profit divided by 11 days = 567 gold/day

Same thing, but travel for a total of 5 days (round trip) to get the bonus I got, selling for 49 each due to a larger travel bonus.

Goods sold for 11760 - cost of 960 = 10800 divided by 15 days = 720 gold/day

So even for a solo player, this is worth it.

Even at the speed I was going, which I'm pretty sure was the minimum possible, this is worth it.

The only tradeoff is the risk of getting jumped.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 01:36:45 am by Slamz »
Norse Horde

Offline mandible/splinteryourjaw

• Knight
  • Renown: 50
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 01:43:21 am »
So for approx 100-150 more gold per day you amass an army and risk losing 125 troops (4k gold maybe) + all equipment (if less than 10k bandits will beat you, but we will say 5k) + all trade goods 7200 is sold in a safe zone = 16-25k risked to make 500-750 more.........verdict.................hire a professional....hire the bartering brigade or even the trade union   :evil:  :D

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 01:48:34 am »
So for approx 100-150 more gold per day you amass an army and risk losing 125 troops (4k gold maybe) + all equipment (if less than 10k bandits will beat you, but we will say 5k) + all trade goods 7200 is sold in a safe zone = 16-25k risked to make 500-750 more.........verdict.................hire a professional....hire the bartering brigade or even the trade union   :evil:  :D

Yeah.  I'm basically pointing out that it's superior money.  Whether it's worth the risk is debatable.  Certainly if you can find a trader willing to pick up your goods and pay you a decent price for them, that could be a good deal all around.  You could pay something like a +100% travel bonus, which is nothing to sneeze at, while the trader accepts the risk but goes off to find a 300% travel bonus.
Norse Horde

Offline Gheritarish le Loki

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 10:52:17 am »
No it doesn't worth it for a solo player, as said Mandible it's almost impossible to build and equip an army for a solo player, how will i find those 10k? i need to trade before...

But if i buy 5 horses (about 2k) i can take 4 crates, that makes 24 goods that i can craft in a day, with 5 horses my speed is 44 and 99 with quickmarch, nobody can catch me, then i go to a really close fief where i can sold at 25 gold, it takes me less than 2 hours to make the round trip.
Even more, i don't have to worry about my path to avoid rivers, mountains, etc, one click to go, one click to come back (meaning i don't have to be on my computer all the time, only 5 mins then 2 hours later 5 min again).
2 x 5 mins for 500 gold a day with almost no risk.