Author Topic: Crpg stronghold  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
Re: Crpg stronghold
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 09:22:45 am »
+1
Yeah CTF would be awsome but what i would like to see is a king of the hill type of game where you respawn constantly to fight for a house or a castle or a hill

also known as siege.

anyway yes... CTF was really funny. super-fast pace, no long waiting respawn time = reckless charges (well the campers will still spawncamp on a random roof with their arbalest/longbow but who cares).

also TDM would be super. with xp multiplicator could be: if the winning team have 20 points gap from the losing team, set multi to x2, with 30 points set it to x3, 40 for the x4 and 50 for the x5.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 09:27:20 am by Corrado_Decimo »

Offline Pigeonteeth

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 10:17:39 pm »
Don't think I've ever tried these, they sound very fun though!

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 11:17:53 pm »
The problem with stronghold is, sadly, that it might not be possible. The problem is that eventually it starts lagging like a bitch. For some reason the dynamically spawned objects seem to perform worse than those placed with a map editor. Another problem is that warband can't really remove scene props - once spawned, they can be hidden, but never deleted, thus hurting the framerate even more. Maybe some kind of limit would help, like, 50 objects per team max, but I never got around to testing that.

The other problem is that the gameplay is so raw, without having a dozen admins per game, I foresee lots of grieving.

Not saying it's dead, just that it needs serious rethinking.

Offline Belmont

• Baron
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 11:21:46 pm »
The problem with stronghold is, sadly, that it might not be possible. The problem is that eventually it starts lagging like a bitch. For some reason the dynamically spawned objects seem to perform worse than those placed with a map editor. Another problem is that warband can't really remove scene props - once spawned, they can be hidden, but never deleted, thus hurting the framerate even more. Maybe some kind of limit would help, like, 50 objects per team max, but I never got around to testing that.

The other problem is that the gameplay is so raw, without having a dozen admins per game, I foresee lots of grieving.

On a completely unrelated note, are there any news regarding CTF? I was really looking forward to it several patches ago but sadly it was not working as intended and it was disabled soon after. Would be a nice change of pace from Battle as there is an objective to capture (could even create a "Battle CTF" mode where all players only have one life but that's probably too similar to Search & Destroy).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 11:31:49 pm by Belmont »

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 11:22:55 pm »
Could be that it's working. It was 'disabled' ages ago because there was a mass XP bug, however, that one got fixed in stronghold developement. I'll try and do some tests.

Offline Belmont

• Baron
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 11:24:29 pm »
Could be that it's working. It was 'disabled' ages ago because there was a mass XP bug, however, that one got fixed in stronghold developement. I'll try and do some tests.

Great news! If it is indeed working we will set up the Byzantium server as a CTF server.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 11:27:34 pm »

Some serious thinking about stronghold? Well, I loved that gamemode so much so I'll try to figure something out. At least regarding the gameplay. How to make it fun without making it griefable. I remember the damn idiots who kept destroying my walls/buildings :/ Where would you want us to post our thoughts? Suggestion section?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 11:31:17 pm »
Sure, feel free to post there.

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 11:36:23 pm »
Stronghold was fun, hope things can eventually get figured out with it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 11:37:49 pm by Warcat »
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 07:15:06 pm »
I think stronghold was a great idea, but it should perhaps be implemented much much simpler.. :)

A much smaller map, resources with placed defensive structures, and the castles should be pre-determined.

If it works then, one could always expand on it..

chadzius, like I said before, your ideas are great, but like other Austrians, you sometimes think too big.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, 07:53:54 pm »
For some reason the dynamically spawned objects seem to perform worse than those placed with a map editor. Another problem is that warband can't really remove scene props - once spawned, they can be hidden, but never deleted, thus hurting the framerate even more.
So does this mean that construction sites et al DO noticeably lag servers?  :cry:
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 08:19:23 pm »
I think stronghold was a great idea, but it should perhaps be implemented much much simpler.. :)

A much smaller map, resources with placed defensive structures, and the castles should be pre-determined.

If it works then, one could always expand on it..

chadzius, like I said before, your ideas are great, but like other Austrians, you sometimes think too big.
I see what you did there!

Good point, start small and expand on what works.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2011, 08:53:20 am »
So does this mean that construction sites et al DO noticeably lag servers?  :cry:

i think not. because for instance in a entire 4-5 rounds siege map, you may spawn something like 20 ladders and 10-15 CS when the game is really intense.

besides that, if the "lag" chadz say it's only related to the server resources, (for instance when the server suddently performs bad and you get triple-quad text when chatting) maybe siege servers needs a fixed time auto-reboot feature (example, EU_2 automatically reboots at 7:00 AM every day)