Author Topic: The Useless Longbow  (Read 12229 times)

Offline 3ABP

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: The Useless Longbow
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2011, 01:56:36 am »
I have a fine longbow now,and the shot speed is the same of the heavy crossbow. For the most medium armored guys you nedd 2 hits. Its fun to play the bow with 172 Archery WPF.
I think "shoot speed" means a time between two shots.
Bellow - "shoot speed" means projectile speed.
Just to add some info for comparison:
-Heavy Crossbow can be aimed infinity time without loosing accuracy
-Heavy Crossbow have piercing damage (instead cut) 63 by Xbow + 10+ by bolts (+ from WPF)
-Heavy Crossbow have even higher shoot speed (shoot speed 56 to shoot speed 54)

All above is confirmed by current situatuion on servers - ex-bow Age changed to Xbow Age.
Let it be - just do smth with Longbow projectile speed...
              [STR] Strangers Faction
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2011, 02:10:05 am »
I think I'll repeat myself, but I heard that Longbow will get it's Pierce Damage back.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2011, 08:16:35 am »
Very low pierce damage, at that. I fear it will actually be doing generally less damage with that, which will make it suck even more.

Offline Mullerian

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2011, 11:14:55 am »
Very low pierce damage, at that. I fear it will actually be doing generally less damage with that, which will make it suck even more.

Yeah it seems like Paul suggested that it would be 23 pierce damage, which seems rather low. Using the melee calculator with that number it seems like it does a lot less damage versus unarmored and very slightly(like 1 or 2 points) more on high armored targets.

I hope they make it closer to the warbow on unarmored targets.

Offline Tavuk_Bey

• Earl
  • Renown: 409
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player
  • herrroo, my näym iz bokkkseee änd i'm fukken ugry
    • View Profile
  • Faction: bashibazouk, the official jihad clan
  • Game nicks: tavuk
  • IRC nick: Minister of Shitstorm
« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2011, 12:24:25 pm »
+1
i see lots of longBAWmen here. what were you expecting? a repeating bow which can send over 9000 arrows in 1 secs? it's quite ok with longbow's current stats. if you want sniping stuff, just go and play CoD

roast and roast again until lambs become kebab

Offline Mullerian

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2011, 01:34:13 pm »
i see lots of longBAWmen here. what were you expecting? a repeating bow which can send over 9000 arrows in 1 secs? it's quite ok with longbow's current stats. if you want sniping stuff, just go and play CoD

Im not sure how they teached you to discuss things, but putting words into the other parts mouth so they seem to be wanting something retarded is not the way to do it. If you are not capable of actually discussing it, why dont you just stay the fuck away then?

Nobody is asking for the longbow to be a repeating crossbow, if you look at whats been asked for most people arent even asking for a speed buff but for a buff to diversity, like for example lowering damage and making it piercing. So that it would serve a different purpose than the other bows or upping shot speed so that it can be used for longer range firing.

Next time please do read the thread instead of just coming in here looking like a retard just to say you have been here.

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2011, 04:43:59 pm »
After doing a bit more research I have found that wpf does effect the release flaw but not greatly, it seems that if you get past a certain number of wpf, 130-140 (I am not Walt or whoever the cRPG Scientist is) the flaw is reduced although it is still present, increase in the speed to 50, as found before does have roughly the same effect of losing the flaw but with roughly 100 wpf (Please, as I said, don't hold me to figures! I just bodged together some tests but unlike testing programms, I can't just automate it  :rolleyes:).

The thing with crossbows is that they take a horrendous amount of strength to pull the string back due to the amount of energy it uses to launch the bolt, while with a bow, the string is longer thus as someone said before, the energy put into drawing back a bow string to a crossbow in turn becomes more and fires the arrow at a greater speed and thus a greater distance, which is not reflected in cRPG. (I am not calling realism! Just physics, which could be completely wrong  :lol: So please correct me! ^^)

I am constantly asked why do I use the longbow and I reply "it's relaxing, the long draw times means I can be completely aware of whats around me and the long range means that 90% of the time, there is NOTHING around me!" But thats just me, and i'm a cowardly archer who can't melee to even save his life, so I like to run away and be a pain in the arse instead!

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Farrok

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Farrok
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2011, 05:08:59 pm »
The thing with crossbows is that they take a horrendous amount of strength to pull the string back due to the amount of energy it uses to launch the bolt, while with a bow, the string is longer thus as someone said before, the energy put into drawing back a bow string to a crossbow in turn becomes more and fires the arrow at a greater speed and thus a greater distance, which is not reflected in cRPG. (I am not calling realism! Just physics, which could be completely wrong   So please correct me! ^^)

would we say realism all crossbows need a damagenerf of say 90%

no xbowman with brain would use a xbow and try to pull the string back with bare hands :D
you have some tools for it, goes from a cheap belt hook+Stirrup to a Windlass...

when we say about bows, the khergitbow would be as good as a longbow or atleast warbow, the only downside would be the range

but meeh physiscs and realism dont exist ingame so dont bother with it...

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2011, 05:15:00 pm »
Why was the longbow reduced in size btw? I never got an answer to that question.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2011, 05:16:46 pm »
Because of the animation. The new animation wouldn't work with the old huge longbow.

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2011, 05:20:13 pm »
Meh it looks like crap now imo, it wouldve been cool if it somehow could retain old animations.

That's the only thing that bothers me about it atm.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Otaku_HyeZa

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • Az élet mindig szép :)
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Korean
  • Game nicks: Hyen
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2011, 06:50:09 pm »
My friends longbow avarege too.She can use it but slowly and while she targeting she would be hitted anytime.I think need a rework this mod

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2011, 03:23:45 am »
would we say realism all crossbows need a damagenerf of say 90%

no xbowman with brain would use a xbow and try to pull the string back with bare hands :D
you have some tools for it, goes from a cheap belt hook+Stirrup to a Windlass...

when we say about bows, the khergitbow would be as good as a longbow or atleast warbow, the only downside would be the range

but meeh physiscs and realism dont exist ingame so dont bother with it...

I'm talking about to get the same amount of energy out of a crossbow as you would a longbow, not just to pull it back normally! I should have made that clear to begin with. But also, not all crossbows had the wind up mechanisms and as I see people running around in cRPG without using them, I assume that they are not in the game, as I said, I wasn't speaking about realism, I was speaking about balance! :)

Also, yeah, I keep getting asked if I am using a hunting bow because when you pull the longbow back, it does look odly like a hunting bow :P

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2011, 03:57:10 pm »
You guys seem to be having a good time discussing the stats of the longbow, but what about its model? I dont like this twig people keep calling a longbow.
Pics to show you what I mean - First image from each set is native (pretty accurate to what a longbow looks like) and second is crpg right now.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 04:08:22 pm by Peasant_Woman »
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Mullerian

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2011, 05:50:11 pm »
You guys seem to be having a good time discussing the stats of the longbow, but what about its model? I dont like this twig people keep calling a longbow.
Pics to show you what I mean - First image from each set is native (pretty accurate to what a longbow looks like) and second is crpg right now.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Mainly because that has been discussed several times before and we were told it had to be reduced in size to be able to use the new animation the introduced. Or at least thats what i suspect is the reason