Author Topic: Strategus update: weight, trading, spotting  (Read 14674 times)

Offline Bjarky

• Earl
  • Renown: 352
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • U got gold? I bring tea, silk, hemp, camels +more!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Leadership member)
  • Game nicks: Guard_BD_Bjarky, Guard_the_Lederhosen
  • IRC nick: bjarky
Re: Strategus update: weight, trading, spotting
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2011, 09:08:31 pm »
After messing around with this, I'd like to suggest it be changed to troops carrying 2 weapons and 1 shield.

The problem I'm seeing is that since you don't know what the makeup of your roster is going to be, you have to carry extra stuff.  For 100 troops and a shielder-heavy guild, you might want:

70 one-handers
70 shields
20 two-handers
20 polearms
20 bows
10 crossbows
50 arrows
50 bolts
30 throwing

That's not an unreasonable list to be prepared for various roster makeups (not sure how many archers, polearm users, etc, you're going to end up with) but that's 242 weapons.  You can only carry 200 without crates, and 1 crate is going to slap 25% off of your speed.

If every troop could do 2 weapons and 1 shield then this would be 172 weapons -- room to spare!
nah, your list just doesn't fit to the usual strat battles, thats all.
there's no way that there will be so many shielders vs the others on one team in a strat battle.
also you got to many bolts.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2011, 09:36:02 pm »
nah, your list just doesn't fit to the usual strat battles, thats all.
there's no way that there will be so many shielders vs the others on one team in a strat battle.
also you got to many bolts.

Norse Horde is a shield-heavy clan so yeah, that would fit our usual strat battle.  Of course, we could dump a number of shields with the idea being that you can pick up dropped ones on the battlefield, but dropped shields can tend to be heavily damaged.  Few things are worse than a shielder having no shield.

Even if I went down to 40 shields and 20 bolts, my list still contains over 200 "weapons".

And really I'd probably like to have more than 20 two-handers and 20 polearms for a 100 man army.  What if we end up mercing out a two-hand heavy clan?  Or a polearm heavy clan?

chadz' rule of 2 weapons per troop makes sense if you know the exact layout of your roster when you leave town.  If I know I'm going to have 20 shielders, 10 two-handers and 10 archers then I can build my list accordingly and don't need much fudge factor.  In reality, though, we need to have a large fudge factor because roster layout can vary wildly, even from day-to-day in the same clan.  (NH is shield heavy but there are still some days where everyone seems to have a long spear and we are short on shielders.)
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Bjarky

• Earl
  • Renown: 352
  • Infamy: 31
  • U got gold? I bring tea, silk, hemp, camels +more!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Leadership member)
  • Game nicks: Guard_BD_Bjarky, Guard_the_Lederhosen
  • IRC nick: bjarky
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2011, 10:11:56 pm »
your clan may be heavy on shielders, but for rosters you need to adjust for mercs.
try to spec or join some strat battles and see what you could change, it would also save you alot of gold.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2011, 01:23:25 am »
your clan may be heavy on shielders, but for rosters you need to adjust for mercs.
try to spec or join some strat battles and see what you could change, it would also save you alot of gold.

It doesn't matter -- the point is unless you know your roster in advance, 2 weapons per troop can't cover the possibilities.  You're either going to end up with crates, or you're going to end up being short handed on something, depending on who shows up to fight for you.

Shields are an obvious weak-point, since they take damage.  One bow or one polearm can last you for life after life as you just pick it back up, but one shield isn't likely going to last that long.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2011, 01:54:16 am »
I agree with slamz the equipment you have should fill the slots available on the troops in your army regardless of any rule on what they should pick up. guy should be able to carry 4 1 slot shields and fill his slots before it becomes a crate and slow you down.
Leader of BS

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2011, 02:09:27 am »
Or even better, let each troops be able to carry 4 slots of equipment. Makes sense and balance. Although the 0 slot items should take 0.5 so we can't run around with billions of them.
I agree with this idea. It makes perfect sense. But I wouldn't even bother putting in a limit on 0 slot weapons. Running around with billions of them is highly an unlikely choice with the way strategus works. And even if somebody wanted to do it, I don't see how having a large surplus of 0 slot weapons is going to give any special advantage

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2011, 02:21:27 am »
fear the archer hammers!
Leader of BS

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2011, 03:18:23 am »
Its not gonna kill u to carry some crates

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2011, 03:34:08 am »
system is obviously biased toward 2h/polearm and multislot weapons and against 1h/shielders.

instead of the simplified 2 weapons per soldier, just translate your cRPG slot system for strat, stop cutting corners & bandaid fixes
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 03:40:42 am by Digglez »

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2011, 04:53:58 am »
Its not gonna kill u to carry some crates

this. travelling without creates is meant to be only for very small and light parties - as soon as you're planning to go to a war, you will need crates. The system was designed to allow small raiding parties to move unencumbered, not that everyone can move with that speed. I'm not against changing it, but I see no reason to. Put up a poll, if the majority wants it changed, fine with me.

The advantage of better speed comes with a tradeoff, of course (less versatility). That's working as intended.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2011, 04:59:00 am »
this. travelling without creates is meant to be only for very small and light parties - as soon as you're planning to go to a war, you will need crates. The system was designed to allow small raiding parties to move unencumbered, not that everyone can move with that speed. I'm not against changing it, but I see no reason to. Put up a poll, if the majority wants it changed, fine with me.

The advantage of better speed comes with a tradeoff, of course (less versatility). That's working as intended.

we dont have a problem with crates weighing you down, but the heavy handed 1 crate = 15% speed reduction formula.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2011, 10:32:03 am »
Buy a horse.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2011, 10:54:41 am »
Buy a horse.

25% speed reduction for troops carrying 1 crate
15% speed reduction for having a horse carry a crate

not much help

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2011, 12:13:34 pm »
+1
Really the problem is just shields.  If your army is 2H or polearm heavy, you're fine.  With 100 troops you could bring 80 polearms for your polearm army and still have room for 120 other weapons to satisfy your allies.

With shields you're boned.  Each shielder needs 1 shield and 1 weapon, so there's your whole allotment, just on basic gear.

Why does chadz hate shielders.  He's killing this mod!  I bet Skyrim is nice to shielders.
Norse Horde

Offline VVarlord

• Count
  • Renown: 176
  • Infamy: 86
  • cRPG Player
  • Simmer down and pucker up
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Waylander
  • Game nicks: Waylander_VVar
  • IRC nick: Boldkorn