Author Topic: Blatant rage about 2h facehugging uber power  (Read 10332 times)

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
Re: Blatant rage about 2h facehugging uber power
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2011, 05:08:54 pm »
I wouldn't call the greatswords slow :rolleyes:
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2011, 05:10:59 pm »
If you make them even slower noone will use them anymore.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2011, 05:16:05 pm »
If you make them even slower noone will use them anymore.

I don't say they should, but if it happened people would've adapted. Those swords are only relatively slow on heavy armoured strength builds anyway. That said, they're fine as it is. If it had become like WFaS, players like kinngrim wouldn't have needed their shield vs. 2H, since they could've just spammed the left swing all the time.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Farmers
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2011, 07:19:20 pm »
http://www.luminarium.org/medlit/medprice.htm

Thank you for the link. I love these historical item pricings. I was however talking about Native M+B prices.

However that price list unfortunately shows exactly the mindset that runs in crpg. IE the western european catholic state of affairs, or worse, the "london" state of affairs.

We all know horses were horrendously expensive in england, being an island and all that, but move somewhere else in europe where you have horses coming out of the wazoo, and there you would find them to be relatively inexpensive while swords or armour would need a king's ransom. These are the places where an all mounted army was the norm. CRPG seems to conform to this stereotypical medieval image based in london.

I wish this "london" crpg one size fit all prices could change, say by having a location variable for chars. Those who enjoy the oversized 2 hand and plate nonsense can choose the german states, while people wishing to play sensibly could choose the regions of modern turkey for reasonable horse prices. These locations could also affect item availability.

Was here for gaga, did not find her too bad. Anti cav cav could take her out fast. I did not play as a crunchy, so perhaps I had it easier.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:21:39 pm by kongxinga »

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2011, 07:20:23 pm »
Let's be honest here...
If this is really a problem, you should try a different class.

I get glanced in my pilgrim disguise more by 2handers and poles then 1 handers, and there are far too many decent 1handers (even with shield) for me to take any suggestion to buff them seriously.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2011, 09:37:52 pm »

We all know horses were horrendously expensive in england, being an island and all that, but move somewhere else in europe where you have horses coming out of the wazoo, and there you would find them to be relatively inexpensive while swords or armour would need a king's ransom. These are the places where an all mounted army was the norm. CRPG seems to conform to this stereotypical medieval image based in london.

I wish this "london" crpg one size fit all prices could change, say by having a location variable for chars. Those who enjoy the oversized 2 hand and plate nonsense can choose the german states, while people wishing to play sensibly could choose the regions of modern turkey for reasonable horse prices. These locations could also affect item availability.

no european nation has ever had an "all cavalry" army. Even during the 100 year war you see the french using "men at arms" that ride into battle on horses but dismount to fight. European nations that have a large cavalry contingent tended to be in large aristocratic nations that have a large peasant class to support the upper class. This allows the nobility to hire more retainers and household guards, who tend to also be mounted to keep up with the lord. England, with it's citizen militia and yeoman longbowmen, did not have the same degree of feudalism, and thus cannot support a large cavalry army as other nations. However, at crecy the english managed to field 4000 knights and men at arms, out of a total of 21000 troops, which is more than enough for it's role as exploiters of broken lines.
Fact is, the majority of a medieval army consisted of coursers and rouncies, which is the standard for crpg. A rouncy costs less than all the "heavy" armor, while a courser costs as much as a transistional. A plated charger cost twice as much as a milanese plate, which makes sense considering its a horse armored in plate.

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2011, 09:49:10 pm »
No european army had an all cavalry army if and only if your europe ended at the Rhine. And even on the side of the Rhine you are talking about, we had chevauchees, which were pretty much 100% mounted detachments, although not everyone fought on horseback.

But what I am trying to get across is that there is nothing wrong with a 100% mounted army. It does not look wrong, contrary to the declarations of some. The amount of plate in crpg should however raise eyebrows.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2011, 09:54:09 pm »
No european army had an all cavalry army if and only if your europe ended at the Rhine. And even on the side of the Rhine you are talking about, we had chevauchees, which were pretty much 100% mounted detachments, although not everyone fought on horseback.

But what I am trying to get across is that there is nothing wrong with a 100% mounted army. It does not look wrong, contrary to the declarations of some. The amount of plate in crpg should however raise eyebrows.

Turkey is not part of europe, no matter how much you cry about it. Even the arab states, the majority of their armed forces were infantry by the crusades. The turks was an "all cavalry" force but they used ponies and light horses, not plated chargers and destiers. No all cav army used any horses heavier than a courser, so i don't see your point here. Those horses are cheaper than plate mail, and especially the courser is extremely good in the hands of a skilled huey..

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2011, 10:07:21 pm »
Yes but should not steppes and arabians be a lot cheaper given the all cav armies in Turkey? Was going to take our interesting discussion to the PMs, but then I get a "Turkey is not Europe" jaw dropper. How about the formerly non Christendom Eastern European parts?

Do you get angry when faction rotation in native breaks up non stop swads versus nords to include Khergits and Sarranids?

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2011, 10:17:03 pm »
Yes but should not steppes and arabians be a lot cheaper given the all cav armies in Turkey? Was going to take our interesting discussion to the PMs, but then I get a "Turkey is not Europe" jaw dropper. How about the formerly non Christendom Eastern European parts?

Do you get angry when faction rotation in native breaks up non stop swads versus nords to include Khergits and Sarranids?

not arabians, steppe horses maybe. But steppe horse are already pretty cheap, equal to upper teir medium armor. Outfitted as a typical mongol, you shouldnt even come close to breaking the bank. before i retired i would use first a desert horse then a steppe horse after riding nerf with 66k worth of equip on top of the horse, i did not break the bank at all, i lost maybe 10-15k but i earned it all back after my retirement.

turkey is not europe because europe cuts off at the hellespont/dardanelles. Asia minor has always been considered a near eastern territory. The russians and eastern europe extends as far as the uraj mountains, which beyond that point we have steppe people who are pastoralist and not agriculturalists like their european counterparts.

btw this isn't to put down the turks or anyone, you guys just aren't european. Its ok to acknowledge your role as foreign subjegators of anatolia, no one will think less of you.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 10:20:54 pm by Thucydides »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2011, 10:23:56 pm »
There... are... several.. sub-cultures... of Turkey... Like Seljuks... Or Ottomans... who reside in... different parts... must resist... urge... failing...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2011, 10:27:19 pm »
There... are... several.. sub-cultures... of Turkey... Like Seljuks... Or Ottomans... who reside in... different parts... must resist... urge... failing...

hur dur?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2011, 10:57:18 pm »
hur dur?

Some parts of Turkey including whole sub-cultures are in Europe... You can't just say "Does not count as European."
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2011, 11:40:57 pm »
It does not count!!!

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 14, 2011, 07:46:00 am »
Some parts of Turkey including whole sub-cultures are in Europe... You can't just say "Does not count as European."

i suppose so, but  the majority of the population of turks live in asia minor. For example, It would be fair to refer to russia as european up to the uraj mountains, but any farther they would be considered asian. Likewise, you can refer to a "european turkey" but is turkey european? not really. To be european a majority of your population must reside in the european subconinent.