Author Topic: Stamina Bar  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Stamina Bar
« on: February 10, 2011, 07:45:19 am »
We could really really really use a stamina bar.  It has been suggested so many times and for good reason, my fav is:  it will limit the spam and it will promote a more intelligent way of playing. 

There is simply no way you could run around with heavy armour on and swing a heavy metal object over and over again without getting tired.  On top of that blocking would be exhausting.  The shock of a heavy metal object hitting your heavy metal object after it has been swung at full power by a desperate guy who wants you dead with all his heart.  That impact would jar your body it would sap you and exhaust you with every blow you blocked.  Not to mention fear and adrenaline is running ramped in your body at the same time your senses going crazy.  After about 2 to 3 minutes of swining and blocking the way we fight, anyone would be physically done even if you were in great shape. 

The sort of stamina bar that I would want for this game would take account the size and weight of the object being swung.  It would take account of weight of armour being worn.  Plus it would include energy depletion based on blocked blows (would include shields as well).       
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
Re: Stamina Bar
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:06:37 am »
tbh. i dont think this would do the game anything good.

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 12:00:50 pm »
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,1866.0.html

What I love about M&B is the fast gameplay, a stamina bar would turn it into a slow hit-block-hit-block till the one with the heavier weapon runs out of stamina and gets killed. You think there are many ninja spamming agi-whores now? With stamina a naked guy with a katana would kick your ass  a lot easier than now.

If you can't deal with spammers it's your own fault because you can't manual block. Once you block a spammer he's dead. Don't want to learn to manual block? No problem, play 1h+shield.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 12:05:59 pm by Punisher »

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 01:01:19 pm »
After about 2 to 3 minutes of swining and blocking the way we fight, anyone would be physically done even if you were in great shape. 

Last I heard medieval battles consisted of two minutes of actual fighting, then both armies would sit down to have a cup of tea and a cigar before resuming fighting.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 01:03:39 pm »
Tbh how long do you actually reall fight in Warband?
If the round is 5 minutes you probably never fight 2-3 minutes of them.

So you can make a Stamina bar if i can fight 2-3 minutes. But nothing will change.

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 02:53:44 pm »
Last I heard medieval battles consisted of two minutes of actual fighting, then both armies would sit down to have a cup of tea and a cigar before resuming fighting.

Ffs I hate this real life argument crap but I cant let this one go. It's true with even a moderate gear one tires very quickly. That's why the experienced fighters knew how to pace themselves. They don't keep continous spam like we do in game.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 03:16:16 pm »
They don't keep continous spam like we do in game.

That's because it's a game and it should be fun before realistic.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 03:33:52 pm »
Ffs I hate this real life argument crap but I cant let this one go. It's true with even a moderate gear one tires very quickly. That's why the experienced fighters knew how to pace themselves. They don't keep continous spam like we do in game.

The last I saw someone continously swing for 3 minutes in warband combat was... never.

I mean, I wish I could persuade my opponents to come to me in a orderly row without trying to attack or anything so I could kill them all by continously swininging for 3 minutes, but alas the fools refuse to comply.

But, yes, I love the notion experienced fighters sit down for a cup of tea after a few swings to relax, that's how you keep a proper attack going, have a wagon with tea and snacks in the second row so people can relax a bit. Maybe we should implement that in CRPG too, you know, so people can relax a bit after they've swung their weapon a few times, have a cuppa, maybe a nice sausage inna bun, maybe grope some wench a bit, then have some peasant carry them over to wherever melee is now.
Best ban reason ever:
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 03:41:37 pm »
The last I saw someone continously swing for 3 minutes in warband combat was... never.

I mean, I wish I could persuade my opponents to come to me in a orderly row without trying to attack or anything so I could kill them all by continously swininging for 3 minutes, but alas the fools refuse to comply.

But, yes, I love the notion experienced fighters sit down for a cup of tea after a few swings to relax, that's how you keep a proper attack going, have a wagon with tea and snacks in the second row so people can relax a bit. Maybe we should implement that in CRPG too, you know, so people can relax a bit after they've swung their weapon a few times, have a cuppa, maybe a nice sausage inna bun, maybe grope some wench a bit, then have some peasant carry them over to wherever melee is now.

I lol'd

+1 for tea wagons & snacks! so tired of my character becoming famished on the battle field.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 03:47:49 pm »
At last!
I've been suggesting these things for ages. What are those peasants good for anyway?

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Timing that sidestep is key to the 1h battle axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NORD
  • Game nicks: Araios, Pallas, Hammer. Formerly DRAC & Duke_of_Hazard
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 07:24:31 pm »
That's because it's a game and it should be fun before realistic.

Considering the amount of realism present already I don't see how a little more would hurt anything.

+1 to STamina Bar !!!

Maybe it should be a stat to dump pts into like str and agi?  Or else just base it off say 2/3 Str and 1/3 Agi stat
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 07:25:47 pm by 1slander »
Float like a butterfly sting like an axe

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 07:44:20 pm »

In your own way you stumbled over the truth.  The roman army had a rotation method in place where the front-line would be replaced "after a few swings" so that they could "keep a proper attack going".

When the first line as a whole had done its best and become weakened and exhausted by losses, it gave way to the relief of fresh men from the second line who, passing through it gradually, pressed forward one by one, or in single file, and worked their way into the fight in the same way. Meanwhile the tired men of the original first line, when sufficiently rested, reformed and re-entered the fight. This continued until all men of the first and second lines had been engaged. This does not presuppose an actual withdrawal of the first line, but rather a merging, a blending or a coalescing of both lines. Thus the enemy was given no rest and was continually opposed by fresh troops until, exhausted and demoralized, he yielded to repeated attacks."

Medieval historians also believed that knights had a rotation system of their own, however no one is certain how that worked.  So yeah ppl did leave the battlefield after a few swings had a cuppa groped a wench and went back to fighting when rested. 

Besides if you noticed Crpg characters don't walk they run.  Try running a hundred yards in armour 10 to 60 pounds carrying a 5 to 10 pound weapon.  Once you cover the hundred yards swing that weapon against another dude for a minute or two while your body is drowned in adrenalin and your body is absorbing the shock of blows from blocked and unblocked weapons.  And after about 2 minutes of this see if you move your blade as fast as you did when you were fresh. 

Plus if you want to avoid ninja agility dominance when you put in a stamina bar, the solution is simple link stamina to the strength attribute.  Agility guys would be faster but for a shorter amount of time.  While str builds would be slower but could keep going for a longer amount of time.

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline bruce

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 08:12:40 pm »
Well then, I suggest you try to give us some sources at how long could a person fight in armour (and consequently, without) before it would significantly lower his ability to do so.

Besides if you noticed Crpg characters don't walk they run.

No, they don't. Well, not run as such. It's one of my gripes with warband.

To be honest, warband movement model is retarded. You can go on jogging forever, but you can't sprint ever (or run fast), and people can basically run backwards uphill while throwing/swinging weapons (wat), and they can run sideways too regardless of terrain.

I mean, maybe I'm a cripple or something but I can't run at 90% of my forward speed when I run backwards or sideways.

If you're bothered with "realism" issues in warband, then you could talk about feinting with long weapons (which have no inertia or anything), or movement model which is silly.

By the way, if you want to make armour more "tiring" to use, maybe we could discuss about how on earth do you kill someone in armour in 1-2 slashes? I'm fairly certain people wouldn't have went to great expense to make it if it was as ineffective as portrayed in crpg (ok, it's like that for gameplay reasons, but whatever).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 08:22:25 pm by bruce »
Best ban reason ever:

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 09:09:07 pm »
In your own way you stumbled over the truth.  The roman army had a rotation method in place where the front-line would be replaced "after a few swings" so that they could "keep a proper attack going".

Finally someone who knows their history :D One of the most interesting accounts of savouring your strenght was by a roman army. I believe it was ceasars legions vs. the runaway senators army but could be wrong. They charged at them and just out of range of javelins stopped completely. Enemy had no idea of what was going on. They rested for a tiny bit and then resumed the charge. These were all veterans who knew to save strenght. Stupid irl crap hehe  :twisted:
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.