Author Topic: What am I doing wrong with the bow?  (Read 4301 times)

Offline peon_for_hire

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
What am I doing wrong with the bow?
« on: February 10, 2011, 07:16:57 am »
Can someone show me my errors?

Right now I'm using,

- Khergit Bow
- Bodkin Arrows

It seems no matter how many times I hit the enemy with arrows they don't die. It doesn't matter if they're heavily armored, lightly armored or have even no armor at all.

Am I using the wrong bow? Am I using the wrong kind of arrows? Is my stats just not good enough yet?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 07:20:52 am by peon_for_hire »

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: What am I doing wrong with the bow?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 07:24:39 am »
I am sorry to say archery sucks now.  I did some testing in the duel server on willing dummies (thank you!)  From a heirloomed strong bow using bodkins it took 1 to 2 for a naked guy and about 4 to 5 arrows for a medium armour guy and 10 for tincan with 2 glances off his shiny ass.  If you want to do range now go with throwing, archery is just bad now.

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 09:28:42 am »
Can someone show me my errors?

Right now I'm using,

- Khergit Bow
- Bodkin Arrows

It seems no matter how many times I hit the enemy with arrows they don't die. It doesn't matter if they're heavily armored, lightly armored or have even no armor at all.

Am I using the wrong bow? Am I using the wrong kind of arrows? Is my stats just not good enough yet?

Thanks.

Its a matter of your power draw, which not only increases damage by 8% per level, but also penetration power with all armor so that your final damage after armor is increased even more then that 8%.  Try doing a build for khergit bow with 6 preferably 7 powerdraw and 6 weaponmaster all in archery.  If you need to retire before this is possible then heirloom your bow as well.  Also, be aware that with the shoot speed nerf from the latest patch update you will notice long range shots lose a lot of damage.  As the arrow travels farther to its target it loses damage from speed and the weaker your bow's shoot speed and the lower your power draw the faster this happens (another reason to boost power draw to increase damage by increasing shoot speed).

Before that most recent patch the khergit bow was the ideal bow for balance betwen draw speed, damage, and shoot speed.  Post the shoot speed nerf, strong bow is the best way to go (half the archers use it now,off topic - wish there were real advantages and disadvantages to each bow so the variety would return again, maybe make hunting bow 100 speed again or something).  The warbow now has the exact same shoot speed as the strong bow adn only +3 cut damage which doesnt compensate for the slower draw speed.  The longbow has its uses but in archer duels you will be dominated almost every time by the dramatically lower draw speed of every other bow, hella  dedicated xbowman can probably reload faster then you can draw.

Heirloom your strong bow, retire and go for more power draw and you will find yourself doing some serious damage.  A clanmate recently did 13 powerdraw with a longbow and was 1 shot killing a lot of people but his draw speed was almost twice as long as mine with an heirloomed strong bow.  But the reduced accuracy of the reticules was compensated by the straight as an arrow (pardon the pun) shots with all the shoot speed from longbow and 14 powerdraw.  The thing to do is play around with it and find what works for you in balancing accuracy, speed, and damage.  I am looking forward to trying 8 powerdraw with 6 weaponamster all in archery with an heirloomed strong bow but only 3 athletics as 14 converted points, should be good damage.  Also, if you retire multiple times, your 2nd heirloom of your bodkin arrows adds +2 pierce damage, whicha s being pierce can be significant, but your bow is better to heirloom first 3 times.(+1 shoot speed, +1 damage -1st heirloom, +1 shoot speed, +1 draw speed, +1 damage, +1 accuracy -2nd, 3rd heirlooms each).

However, if you want something easy, formless is right, go with throwing until chadz finally gets around to rebalancing throwing with everything else (same thing with polearm stun, but thats a whole nother thread).

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:30:19 am by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Strength is but only one aspect of power.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom
  • Game nicks: Barely_Legal, Anastasia, Hua_Xiong
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 09:52:15 am »
Also, and I say it way too often but it's true, at least a 1/3 of all your kills should be headshots if you're doing archery right.  A lot of people don't realize this.  This is the single reason damage is good, but accuracy is better.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Death_Dealer

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • to Shish your enemies, see them Kebabed before you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Shishkebab, Ronaldinho, Colossus, Death_Dealer, Brunhild, Whorecraft, Fahishe, Altair
  • IRC nick: Shishkebab
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 10:31:32 am »
Just to give an idea about how strong are bows actually, I must warn you some may find this disturbing because they are killing an innocent creature there. Hunting a lion with bow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaf_YR1GH5I&NR=1
one shot knocks a male lion down, he cant move after a single shot. so that means 1 shot can kill a man i think.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 10:33:58 am »
I think the hunters should be shot. It would be interesting to see how many arrows they can take.

Offline Raskolnikov

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 01:26:51 pm »
Just to give an idea about how strong are bows actually, I must warn you some may find this disturbing because they are killing an innocent creature there. Hunting a lion with bow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaf_YR1GH5I&NR=1
one shot knocks a male lion down, he cant move after a single shot. so that means 1 shot can kill a man i think.

Is this an appeal to realism? Gameplay take precedence over realism; using the realism argument will get you nowhere here.

And even if realism was our main concern: the lion in that video is not wearing armour - cover it in heavy mail and killing it would not be so easy; also, in reality, bows are so incredibly innaccurate they have to be used en masse - you cannot hope to hit individual targets at battlefield ranges in the way players do in cRPG.

Be careful what you wish for. If you really want realistic archery, it might just make archery almost useless! You have it VERY easy at the moment.

Offline Death_Dealer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GK_Shishkebab, Ronaldinho, Colossus, Death_Dealer, Brunhild, Whorecraft, Fahishe, Altair
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 01:28:42 pm »
agree, im against hunting for sports. that video made me a little sad. but i dont wanna see a man getting shot, they may deserve but i dont like it.
btw the bows are so fast in the game i think

Offline Death_Dealer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 01:46:08 pm »
@Rakolnikov  You are right using a bow is not that easy like in the game its not possible to use it in close distances like in the game. bows used for assasinations or big wars that enemy crowds there to shot randomly. if i d make a game there d be no aim on screen but arrow goes on the direction it has on the bow and strength prevents u from shakin it when drawn, no dex its up to ur skills. I dont want a nerf for bows btw i didnt try warbow or long bow yet so i cant say bows are weak.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:47:27 pm by Death_Dealer »

Offline Lanic0r

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 66
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 01:58:41 pm »
Forget it. Ask chadz what does he mean with : I want to make Archer special.
If you want many kills use 2h or 1h with shield and spam around. The fun of  playing  archer has been exterminated.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 02:08:18 pm »
Archers are not supposed to make "many kills."

Archer's best as a support class, though they can still definitely kill. They're not snipers out of CoD.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Lanic0r

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 02:15:47 pm »
yea your right xant, they are definitely make to annoy players and dont kill them. Only to stun enemies and let do 1hs 2hs the rest.
Are you kidding us Xant? Why inf demand : dont SHOOT in MELEE AAARRGH!
And in addition, who wants to be the weaken guy only get on enemies nerves, stun them etc. ?
 :?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 02:21:14 pm »
yea your right xant, they are definitely make to annoy players and dont kill them. Only to stun enemies and let do 1hs 2hs the rest.
Are you kidding us Xant? Why inf demand : dont SHOOT in MELEE AAARRGH!
And in addition, who wants to be the weaken guy only get on enemies nerves, stun them etc. ?
 :?
Game balance. If archers would be these snipers with 1-2 hit kill arrows, there would be no reason to play melee. Arrows can only be blocked by a shield that's facing the archer. The archer isn't in danger himself, he gets to shoot freely forever.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Lanic0r

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 02:30:02 pm »
Not in danger? Archer´s style is to get off the battle and shoot from far away. But as you see, someone is confused he cant kill a naked guy. Game balance?
I see many HXB, why that? Perhaps the balance has fade HA to HXB? Wow now we have such players who really get on inf nerves, shooting => riding away  :shock:

The main problem was strategus. There Archers were OP because they covered on their own the whole fort. But in normal game is no wall you have to climb up.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 02:33:32 pm by Lanic0r »

Offline Quirian

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Quirian_HRE
  • IRC nick: Quirian_HRE
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 02:31:16 pm »
Fucking son of a whore shooting that lion...