Author Topic: Head damage: pierce 3x, blunt 2x ?  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Kherr

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Kherr
Head damage: pierce 3x, blunt 2x ?
« on: February 09, 2011, 06:24:06 pm »
+1
In the steel pick thread ( http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,1814.0.html ) we discussed head damage.
The question is whether pierce does 3x and blunt 2x damage to head.

I did several tests on the duel server (the last one with Noble Crassius, thx), but imho the 3x pierce, 2x blunt damage question is still not clearly answered.
Often there was the same damage of pierce and blunt. Sometimes there was a difference, but we were unsure about the cause: type of swing, mishit, whatever...

The most time I used the Light Spiked Club 20 pierce and the Hammer 21 blunt for testing. Nearly the same weapon damage. All tests were done without armor to avoid randomness.

In conclusion I was not able to hit in such way that pierce does reproduceable more damage than blunt to the head.

What now?

Offline Garrus

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • Imperial Potato Peeler
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Vakarian, GK_Garrus, Puncinella, GK_DrZoidberg
  • IRC nick: Garrus
Re: Head damage: pierce 3x, blunt 2x ?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 06:28:25 pm »
Quote: "..without armor to avoid randomness..."
isnt your weapon damaging between the highest possible and half of it, randomly ? (without an armor). wpf counts too and the duration of your swing, so when the end of the swing gots the enemy maybe it does minimal damage, when too early, it bounces off..

I dunno what is your test environment, but try with level 1 characters, read about what armor exactly does, and try to find a composition, when two cases are possible: 1 damage or 0 damage. idk its possible or not, but I would check it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 06:34:17 pm by Garrus »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kherr

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Kherr
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 06:34:03 pm »
Quote: "..without armor to avoid randomness..."
isnt your weapon damaging between the highest possible and half of it, randomly ? (without an armor). wpf counts too and the duration of your swing, so when the end of the swing gots the enemy maybe it does minimal damage, when too early, it bounces off..
Afaik the damage is calculated without random factor and the randomness is armour based (min 50% armour, then random). I have atm no link for the 50%, but if you use the damage calculator http://infinitum.dyndns.org/crpg/calc.htm and set the armor to 0 the damage will be constant.

Offline Garrus

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Imperial Potato Peeler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 06:35:02 pm »
Afaik the damage is calculated without random factor and the randomness is armour based (min 50% armour, then random). I have atm no link for the 50%, but if you use the damage calculator http://infinitum.dyndns.org/crpg/calc.htm and set the armor to 0 the damage will be constant.

you are right  :wink:

Offline Garrus

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Imperial Potato Peeler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 06:38:32 pm »
the calculator looks up to date, but it shows I can haz 156 wpf with 3 remaining, but in fact I have 154 and 9 remaining (cant spend). its wrong!

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Death God
  • Game nicks: GoD_Balton_the_Buff
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 06:55:58 pm »
As far as I know, pierce, blunt, and cut, all do 3x damage to head. You can easily 1-hit fully armored tin cans so long as you hit their head. I know I've been 1-hit in black armor/armet/heavy gaunts/cased greaves by cut damage before.
Wherever I tread, only chaos & destruction follow.

Offline Noble Crassius

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Long live the Han
    • View Profile
    • http://rotk.ws/
  • Faction: Han Empire
  • Game nicks: Han_Ling, SiegeSome, Fallen_Knight
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 07:11:02 pm »
As far as I know, pierce, blunt, and cut, all do 3x damage to head. You can easily 1-hit fully armored tin cans so long as you hit their head. I know I've been 1-hit in black armor/armet/heavy gaunts/cased greaves by cut damage before.
That doesn't show a x3 bonus. It doesn't tell you what the amount of bonuses are at all. One thing is for sure there IS a bonus for head. More testing will have to get done, as it was it turned out very hard to land an over head perfectly on the head (especially with the spiked mace).
In general I felt that the pierce did more damage but no a whole heck of alot more. We might not be looking at simple x2 x3 bonuses here, might be some sort of formula in play.

If a dev could give a final word or some hints of some sort that would be ever so nice.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 07:50:57 pm by Noble Crassius »
On it.

Offline Engine

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 08:11:58 pm »
I can tell you that there are plenty of times I'll hit an armored head with PS5 and a Heavy Pick, and they live through it. Course, it could be lag, a shoulder hit that LOOKS like a head hit, etc.

Note: If they're not armored, a pick to the face will kill in one hit. As you'd imagine it should, hehehe.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 08:15:59 pm »
That site damage calculation shows you how much damage you would do on body tough while the point of this thread is hits in the face.

Just so you know.