28 (15%)
It's balanced now.
73 (39%)
It's a little underbalanced.
62 (33.2%)
It's a complete waste of time.
24 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Author Topic: Archery  (Read 11591 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Re: Archery
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 08:57:32 am »
Yeah there is something buggy, where the arrow went through the head hit box and hit the body hit box behind it.

Actually, it doesn't have to go through the head hit box. It registers a hit at the front edge of the body hit box, but the graphic of the arrow after it hits is displayed from the center of the body hit box, which displaces it a couple inches visually, which makes it look like it passed through the head to get there.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Loki

• Count
  • Renown: 228
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
  • I don't know karate, but I know crazy.
    • View Profile
    • The Fallen Brigade
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Loki
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 09:27:59 am »
I've actually had this happen a whole slew of times.  Most of the time the arrow just passes right through the head without registering a hit, othertimes it will go through the head and hit the shoulder or neck.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 05:23:03 pm »
I'm thinking of making an archer character to test the whole thing out.  I've never been an archer before so I won't have any strong preconceptions about what their power should be.  Does anyone know a good build that I should go for?  I really know nothing about building an archer character.

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 05:33:48 pm »
Archers are in a perfect state right now, now too powerful but not useless either.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 06:11:07 am »
I'm thinking of making an archer character to test the whole thing out.  I've never been an archer before so I won't have any strong preconceptions about what their power should be.  Does anyone know a good build that I should go for?  I really know nothing about building an archer character.

I tried a Ath 8 WM 8 PD 5 PS 5 build that was really accurate and fast, but I was frustrated by the lack of stopping power. So Im going the opposite now with Athletics 5 WM 5 PD 8 and PS 8. It still has enough accuracy and the stopping power is great. The drawback is you only get 25 WPF in a melee weapon, but with PS 8, you only need one hit oftentimes  :wink:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Rogue_Eagle

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2011, 02:49:52 am »
I'd rather they made archers a  bit harder to use and gave them a huge damage buff to compensate.

Offline corto

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 03:04:29 am »
i'm with magicarp - its fine at the moment.

but what i miss is a changelog or just some infos about the effect of Powerdraw (it reduced wpf in the last c-rpg version - does it still do so?)

i really dont want to check it out by messing my build away from accuracy to damage - that does not really exist because u dont hit shit and so the dmg isnt dealt...
I am at 5 Pdraw and its fine but a bit weak against armor... so help me out and tell me your experiences with pdraw since the patch.

edith: i see 2 posts earlier someone made it - thx for that  :wink:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 03:05:46 am by corto »

Offline Z_E_N

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 04:04:04 am »
The only input I have on this...

A great player should be able to top the scoreboard no matter what build he uses.  You know all the famous players already I'm sure.

I see great 1h/shielders top scoreboards.
I see 2h/polearms top scoreboards.
I see cavs top scoreboards.

However, all the famous archers are suddenly no longer topping the scoreboard ever using pure archery...so it's probably a bit underbalanced. 

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 04:08:26 am »
A great player should be able to top the scoreboard no matter what build he uses.

I haven't seen pure 1h no shield dagger users top the scoreboard, I haven't seen a pure staffman top the scoreboard, hell I haven't seen a pure thrower without a melee weapon top the scoreboard often, or a pure crossbow without melee weapon, I haven't seen a pure pitchforker top the scoreboard, I didn't see any 3/40 agi builds top the scoreboard, etc... I'm going to have to disagree with you there ;)

Anyway, I have seen archers postpatch on top of the scoreboard - the ones which in addition to shooting also know how to melee (or in really archer-heaven maps) as well.

Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Korgoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 742
  • Infamy: 100
  • cRPG Player
  • I've dated girls uglier than you for Breakfast
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Korgoth
  • IRC nick: Korgoth
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2011, 05:07:45 am »
I haven't seen a pure pitchforker top the scoreboard,

Clearly You haven't played a lot with Tai Feng.

He has topped the board with a Pitch Fork before. But it was a Military Fork :)

EDIT: Just did this now. Look at my gear.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 05:39:34 am by Ninja_Korgoth »

Korgoth's Retextures
Korgoth's Hierloom Stall

Offline Z_E_N

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2011, 05:37:11 am »
I haven't seen pure 1h no shield dagger users top the scoreboard, I haven't seen a pure staffman top the scoreboard, hell I haven't seen a pure thrower without a melee weapon top the scoreboard often, or a pure crossbow without melee weapon, I haven't seen a pure pitchforker top the scoreboard, I didn't see any 3/40 agi builds top the scoreboard, etc... I'm going to have to disagree with you there ;)

Anyway, I have seen archers postpatch on top of the scoreboard - the ones which in addition to shooting also know how to melee (or in really archer-heaven maps) as well.

Sorry bruce, but your argument is off.

I was specifying equipment _types_, not specific gear.  Obviously someone running around in joke gear isn't going to top the scoreboard.

When an entire weapon group put into the hands of a great player who is playing seriously cant manage to be on the top, then its definately underpowered a little.

And I have seen pure throwers top the leaderboards; but it doesn't happen often because of the ammo limitation.  Native_ATS comes to mind.   

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2011, 10:02:59 am »
When an entire weapon group put into the hands of a great player who is playing seriously cant manage to be on the top, then its definately underpowered a little.

But I topped the scoreboard now and then with my archer and with my crossbowman - and I'm not really some pro player. Sure thing, most of the kills were in melee, with some ranged kills (or wounding people, more common thing), but I'm sure you see where the problem is if you can top the scoreboards with just a bow/crossbow. This isn't native, ranged aren't restricted to using silly onehanders with low to no powerstrike.

And I'd say it was easier to get kills on the whole as a hybrid ranged + melee then pure melee (with shield to "protect" from ranged), from my experience.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2011, 05:32:59 pm »
The only input I have on this...

A great player should be able to top the scoreboard no matter what build he uses.  You know all the famous players already I'm sure.

I see great 1h/shielders top scoreboards.
I see 2h/polearms top scoreboards.
I see cavs top scoreboards.

However, all the famous archers are suddenly no longer topping the scoreboard ever using pure archery...so it's probably a bit underbalanced.

One thing you have to understand is Topping the scoreboard =/= balance, I once topped a scoreboard with a wooden practice sword, does it makes the wooden practice sword overpowered? Not so much.

I've saw Qaki top the scoreboard on a couple of occasions and he's an archer.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2011, 08:37:43 pm »
I have some screens with archers or crossbowmen topping the scoreboards.
If I hadn't formated I'd also have screens of throwers without melee weapon topping the scoreboard. Whether they carry a axe or sword or just have the ps to pick one up on the floor doesn't interest me. They can do it easily. A pure ranger relying on camping or running for defence shouldn't kill many people easily (he can endanger you always, but often you are in no position to get him).

Offline Murchad

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2011, 09:05:35 pm »
archers are not underpowered in the least.
you do have to make comprimises in other areas to make them really powerful and heirlooming helps alot.  you have to have them balanced to the best possible archer.

something similar to this
level 35
27/18
9pd
5ps
6ath
6wm
warbow Gen3= 61spd 54shspd 30cut 98acc
bodkin arrows Gen3= 9pierce 19ammo

I don't want them to buff archers only to nerf them again when someone reaches the peak of archers