28 (15%)
It's balanced now.
73 (39%)
It's a little underbalanced.
62 (33.2%)
It's a complete waste of time.
24 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Author Topic: Archery  (Read 11596 times)

Offline kura

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_kura
Re: Archery
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 02:20:51 pm »
Before and after patch archers ok.
For example crossbows limited parameters, and archers just skills - higher skill higher parameters.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 03:07:47 pm »
I guess mainly the guys who are too stupid to buy a wodden shield still think archers are OP..

People who think wooden shield protects you from archers are stupid.
You're better off running in a zig-zag than using most (non-heirloomed) shields with current shield balance.
Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Imperial army: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4muBipy9-Q

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 03:10:58 pm »
Heirlooming afaik doesn't increase coverage. It might look that way because the new values aren't updated properly to the heirloom menu, so for instance when you try to heirloom a heavy crossbow it says it'll do 87p or something, while actually it gets the correct 5% damage (or 67p).

Basically, you need to buy a huscarl.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Wulzzz

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 04:58:07 pm »
People who think wooden shield protects you from archers are stupid.
You're better off running in a zig-zag than using most (non-heirloomed) shields with current shield balance.

I never said it gives perfect protection but still is enough.
Running like a maniac works too.
People who go around without wodden shield and don't try to dodge arrows shouldn't wonder why they are a primary target of archers and get killed rather often.

I mean some people just run almost straight over open field while archers shoot at them..just stupid.

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 05:23:03 pm »
I'm not sure about the "low damage" of archery.

I usually run around in low/medium armor (highest I had was a 5k gold armor) so I always carry a shield on me because I die in 1-2 arrows.

I made a new char, I decided I could afford more expensive armor so I went for some heavy armor (cuir bouilli @ 10k gold is considered HEAVY to me) and I thought maybe I wouldn't have to carry around a shield because archers wouldn't kill me in 1-2 shots but I was wrong.

Basically, archers can do more damage than infantry and from RANGE, I know I can take 3 hits most of the time from infantry with a STRENGTH build, but if I come face to face with an archer 1 arrow will easily one hit me in my chest, maybe 2 arrows if I'm lucky.

Offline Mullerian

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 05:39:15 pm »
I'm not sure about the "low damage" of archery.

I usually run around in low/medium armor (highest I had was a 5k gold armor) so I always carry a shield on me because I die in 1-2 arrows.

I made a new char, I decided I could afford more expensive armor so I went for some heavy armor (cuir bouilli @ 10k gold is considered HEAVY to me) and I thought maybe I wouldn't have to carry around a shield because archers wouldn't kill me in 1-2 shots but I was wrong.

Basically, archers can do more damage than infantry and from RANGE, I know I can take 3 hits most of the time from infantry with a STRENGTH build, but if I come face to face with an archer 1 arrow will easily one hit me in my chest, maybe 2 arrows if I'm lucky.

lol

Also archery seems fine to me, im just adapting to using a 2 hander when they get closer now.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 07:09:53 pm »
I´m using Strongbow and have pd7 with 144 wpf.
I cant onehit most players if they wear anything above cloth.

I can onhit them if i make a headshot wich isnt really easy.
Some chars can die after 5 arrows some after two. Most of the players will die on the third arrow.
I guess thats ok.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 07:51:05 pm »
For disclaimer: I never had a problem with archers even before that big patch. I do play one occasionally. Mostly unshielded melee. That being said my archer alt is on hiatus atm. and that is because of the arrow speed nerf. I think archers deserve that changed back.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 08:08:44 pm »
The thing is archer should be a support class, and only skilled ones should top the scoreboards regulary. And this is how it is now, even an average archer is still great support for his team, he can make enemies enter melee combat with 1/2 HP, so they are a lot easier to kill by teammates (unfortunately average archers usually love to shoot in clusterfucks and teamdamage) while skilled archers get a lot of headshots and top the scoreboards.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 08:11:28 pm »
I think archery is fine.
Can take a lot of arrows to kill someone who is aware but since you have a ranged attack many people aren't.
Shields do protect a lot when you have shield skill, you can be shot into the feet and sides, but as a shield user I think this is really fair - against individual archers the larger shields should catch everything if angled correctly. 0 shield skill shields are kind of crappy, but so are 0 requirement weapons.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 08:17:05 pm by EponiCo »

Offline Wulzzz

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 08:29:23 pm »
Even wodden shield gives pretty much 100% defens against an archer if you move towards him.
Jump right before he shoots=he can't aim for feet or head

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 08:41:45 pm »
Wooden shield is crap with 0 shield skill (and what other reason you could have to use it), I'm better off zig-zagging instead. I use a Heater Shield (20x50 coverage, 2 shield skill) and still get hit often in the shoulders and feet, with only 2 shield skill you have no forcefield. On my 1h+shield char I was still getting hit in the shoulders/feet with a Norman Shield until I got 5 shield skill. So I really think low level shields don't offer much protection, compared to pre-patch when with 2 skill heater shield I had 100% protection.

Offline Wulzzz

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 08:46:07 pm »
Prepatch even wodden shield had 100% forward protection..

Well. I used wodden shield on my new shield char.It's no jesus protection but still gives enough protection.
When archers aimed at my feet i just jumped.I never got hit in the feet or head that way.

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Death God
  • Game nicks: GoD_Balton_the_Buff
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 08:53:54 pm »
It's pretty balanced now. There are still archers that take away 1/5 of my health when I wear full plate, and on occasion I get one-shotted off my horse in mail, or on foot in leather. But there are also archers that deal 0 damage per hit to my plate. It seems to all be in the build/level now.
Wherever I tread, only chaos & destruction follow.

Offline Loki

• Count
  • Renown: 228
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
  • I don't know karate, but I know crazy.
    • View Profile
    • The Fallen Brigade
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Loki
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 02:55:53 am »
poetry dog is right. That's not a headshot, it hit the shoulder or something

Yeah there is something buggy, where the arrow went through the head hit box and hit the body hit box behind it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login