Author Topic: The Riding Skill Passive Bonus  (Read 3889 times)

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Death God
  • Game nicks: GoD_Balton_the_Buff
The Riding Skill Passive Bonus
« on: February 07, 2011, 07:37:35 pm »
As far as I am aware the riding skill provides a passive bonus to riding. I have a few questions regarding this.

Does anyone know the formula for the bonus? If not, then at least the way the formula is applied (whether it is multiplicative or additive)?
Is the bonus only applied if I have my riding skill higher than required (so no bonus if I ride plated charger with skill 6, but if I ride with skill 7+ then I get bonus, simultaneously, no bonus for riding courser with skill 4, but bonus if I ride with skill 5+)?

Reason I ask: My cav rides a courser, and I will have an additional point to spend at level 30, I can either get riding skill 5, or spend 1 additional point into IF/shield. Basically, is it worth going into riding 5 if I never plan to ride an armored horse anyway?
Wherever I tread, only chaos & destruction follow.

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
Re: The Riding Skill Passive Bonus
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 03:46:44 am »
Can't help about the formula, but here's a thought for you...

Your horse get killed and 10 sec later a unmounted cataphract appear around the corner...

well if you stick with riding 4, you won't be able to mount it! How sad you could be...  :P
A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline slothscott

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: AEF_BigBird
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 04:35:24 am »
Can't help about the formula, but here's a thought for you...

Your horse get killed and 10 sec later a unmounted cataphract appear around the corner...

well if you stick with riding 4, you won't be able to mount it! How sad you could be...  :P

you end up winning the round and next round you get to pay upkeep for that horse :D

Offline Maira

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • War is won at the cost of a great loss.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Houses of Cards (House of Hearts)
  • Game nicks: Loz, King_Charles_of_Hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 04:56:16 am »
The bonus is applied like the shield one I believe, so, simply by having the requirement for a horse at 5 you are already getting a bonus, which is why some cataphract/chargers can even outrun and outmaneuver palfreys/rounceys/destriers. Aside from speed there's also the HP and armor bonus, which are always appreciated for keeping your pony alive for as long as possible.

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 04:27:00 pm »
you end up winning the round and next round you get to pay upkeep for that horse :D

This is the reason I don't want to ride armored horses, until this is fixed (it is a bug, right?), I do not plan to loot anything expensive in battle.

The bonus is applied like the shield one I believe, so, simply by having the requirement for a horse at 5 you are already getting a bonus, which is why some cataphract/chargers can even outrun and outmaneuver palfreys/rounceys/destriers. Aside from speed there's also the HP and armor bonus, which are always appreciated for keeping your pony alive for as long as possible.

I see, that's good to know. I wasn't aware that there was an HP and armor bonus as well, is there by any chance a charge damage bonus with this? Thanks.

Offline Freland

• Count
  • Renown: 172
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Freland
  • IRC nick: Freland
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 05:11:07 pm »
This is the reason I don't want to ride armored horses, until this is fixed (it is a bug, right?), I do not plan to loot anything expensive in battle.

As a workaround you can turn off auto-repair although that is quite intricate.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

each time you click the button, crpg gains popularity :D

Offline Murchad

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 05:45:54 pm »
just dismount at the end of the round so you start with your own horse again

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 06:03:11 pm »
I would really love if picked up stuff didn't need to be upkeeped since it's not yours maybe it's really a bug and not intended.

Offline Maira

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • War is won at the cost of a great loss.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Houses of Cards (House of Hearts)
  • Game nicks: Loz, King_Charles_of_Hearts
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 06:39:13 pm »

I see, that's good to know. I wasn't aware that there was an HP and armor bonus as well, is there by any chance a charge damage bonus with this? Thanks.

I know for sure it increases maneuver, speed and hp, but I think it actually increases all status of the horse, so, that includes charge, but the courser's charge is very low, it still won't do much.

I would really love if picked up stuff didn't need to be upkeeped since it's not yours maybe it's really a bug and not intended.

I read somewhere chadz saying that you don't pay for the upkeep of stuff that's not yours, it showed that you did in-game but you didn't actually pay on the site, but that was a patch back and now there's some people saying they've lost the money on the site. So, I'm not sure on that matter.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:42:35 pm by Maira »

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 06:49:06 pm »
Yes before last patch it indeed was only a visual bug but after last patch you really lose money from picked up items :(

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 07:12:10 pm »
IF you turn off auto repair, you DONT lose money on site anymore after picking up some stuff from ground untill you have such item on site, because you have to repair item on SITE clicking under its ICON. If you dont have such item on website's equipement, you CANT repair it (=you dont pay for repair), because there is no icon of it, am I right?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 07:14:27 pm by Dravic »

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 07:14:52 pm »
Yes but that's a lot of time wasted since you have to stop playing or stand still during round to repair.

Before last patch you didn't need to turn off auto repair.

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 08:14:02 pm »
As a workaround you can turn off auto-repair although that is quite intricate.

I'd rather not play with broken items.

just dismount at the end of the round so you start with your own horse again

You only have enough time to dismount if at the end of the round you are standing still, if you are riding, you won't have enough time to stop and then dismount.

I know for sure it increases maneuver, speed and hp, but I think it actually increases all status of the horse, so, that includes charge, but the courser's charge is very low, it still won't do much.

Word, I guess that makes the riding skill pretty convenient. And charge damage is based off of speed as well as the initial modifier on the horse, right? A courser riding at full speed charges for quite a bit on people who aren't well-armored (at least I have lost 1/3 of my health from courser charges before, and I usually wear cloth).

Yes but that's a lot of time wasted since you have to stop playing or stand still during round to repair.

Before last patch you didn't need to turn off auto repair.

Logically, it definitely seems like a bug, I can't imagine why you would have to repair other people's items. Most importantly, you only have to repair them if you have auto-repair on, so it doesn't make sense to punish people who use a feature that chadz added for convenience. And the worst part isn't that you have to repair on the website if you don't have auto-repair on, it's that you will have to go a round with broken items.

Offline Bull

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 11:26:43 pm »
Hmm. I was wondering about this same question, Balton.

Don't suppose anyone knows the % increase each skill point in riding gives to armor/HP/speed/etc? I'm in the middle of my new cav build, and am trying to figure out if I need more than 12 agility (for my destrier). It's either 21/15 or 24/12 for me, and I'd like to know where I would best spend my points.

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 11:45:15 pm »
The riding skill has only an influence on horses speed and maneuver. For each skill point in riding you have above the horses requirement its 5 %. You can check this yourself in native Singleplayer, ride around alone, spend more points in riding and your movement speed even on the campaign map gets better. Do the maths.

(Why would it increase horses armor or health points? Doesnt make sense).

On your build, it depends (as always) on your playstyle. Do you fight against other cav, or mainly against footmen?

For a sneaky horseman that loves to stab infantry the goal should be the one stab kill.

For a duel-cav you want as much maneuver and speed as possible.

(so no bonus if I ride plated charger with skill 6, but if I ride with skill 7+ then I get bonus, simultaneously, no bonus for riding courser with skill 4, but bonus if I ride with skill 5+)

Exactly. This. is how it works.

You believe wrong. It would be easier to get along if people like you stopped spreading rumours/ totally wrong "facts" to confuse other people, for fun, intended, or just careless.

With shield, you might be right, since there is no shield requirement in native, but with riding you are wrong.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 12:05:49 am by Michael »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login