Author Topic: Beginner build help & tips?  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Zarthalian

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Beginner build help & tips?
« on: October 30, 2011, 04:56:03 am »
              I'm fairly new to the whole cRPG thing, and I'm not a great player. If I could get some help with a good & easy build for a beginner, that would be fantastic. The questions I have are as follows....

For a beginner, which kind of "class" would be easier to master/get good at? 1h with shield or 2h?

What would be a good stat & item build for the class?

Any helpful tips for a newbie? (anything!)

It'd be nice if some people that really have a feel for the mod could help me out. Thanks!

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
Re: Beginner build help & tips?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 10:44:07 am »
Any class you take will take some time to master.  :wink:

Take one you feel like playing and have fun. You will learn with time and effort!  :)
A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 03:05:05 pm »
If u want to learn how to fight in melee id pick 1h over 2h/pole first. You have to learn the basics like listening for the sound of your shield blocking to make sure they're not feinting etc.

Its easier to learn that stuff when you dont have to worry about block directions.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 05:25:05 pm »
+1
If I were you I would just bite the bullet and pick 2h/polearm without a shield to start with. Then you should fire up native and practice blocking with the bots.

Set combat speed to slower first and fight the novices, block them until you can confidently block the highest ranked dude, cause hes also the fastest.

Set combat speed to medium and repeat. If you want to be all cool set combat speed to fastest and repeat. Also spar with them a little, practice attacking back after a block and experiment with mouse settings. (make sure you have manual blocking enabled)

Then create a skip the fun character. Try this build (you can also do polearm if you like):

Strength: 21
Agility: 18
Hit points: 66
Skills to attributes: 8
Ironflesh: 5
Power Strike: 7
Athletics: 6
Weapon Master: 5
Two Handed: 146

Get into the duel server on cRPG and duel. Get a heavy bastard sword and some light armour. First try to block a lot, just doing simple attacks back. When blocking goes better, attack more, maybe try feinting and hold attacks. Still, most important is that you get blocking down.

After several hours I hope you get the hang of it, you might learn it very quickly or very slowly. Don't get discouraged when you'll die a lot at first, it is the only time to quickly close the gap with the average player, who is pretty good these days.

Then try to get into battle, most importantly is you try to survive and observe, the quicker you get how to be efficient in battle the better. If you do die quickly spectate someone high up the boards, he probably knows his stuff. Spectate good players from different classes to see which one seems fun.

Why do I recommend going shiedless rather than a shielder? A shield might break, you need to be able to block when that happens. I personally find being a shielder a lot less fun than being a shieldless meleer.

If you would start as a 1h you would have much less understanding of how people fight, understanding your opponents is very important (also why you should try being a shielder in the near future). When you have a shield you press RMB and you block, you would be less forced to duel and get better cause you have easy blocking.

When you dont have a shield you'll be constantly reminded of how much you suck and will therefore be pushed much harder to improve and thus improve quicker.

When you think you have a good idea of how combat works and have taken a good look around the battlefield at the different classes you should start your main character, which should not be skip the fun. 21/18 is a pretty good build for any melee class, judge by your melee experience with the skip the fun character if you want more power or speed.

Judging from your post I thought you prefer melee, if you are a determined horselover or ranged lover this was a waste and you should go with that.

Offline gbu_lue

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 10:40:15 pm »
I agree with Teeh.  Although I would suggest going 2 handed vs polearm as you'll learn how to block and look for feints much quicker.  Once you learn how to block the game becomes a lot easier.  Go for a balanced build 21/18 or 18/21 depending on what you like.  You can spend some time in the duel servers, but I learned mostly from just playing on the servers.

Offline Grok

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Grok, Queequeg
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 11:41:17 pm »
Going 2H or Pole is probably your best bet to start -- they are the easiest classes to be "successful" with early on.  While you'll certainly die alot and shielders will be difficult to deal with you'll get plenty of action and kills with those big ol' weapons.

That said, 1H Shielder is alot of fun, but in comparison takes more levels and work before it becomes effective.

Archer and Crossbow have even steeper curves, but can be fun too.