Author Topic: Please review 1h shield to pol and 2h counterparts.  (Read 4448 times)

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
Please review 1h shield to pol and 2h counterparts.
« on: October 27, 2011, 04:58:34 am »
The reason I ask for you to review them is that pol/2h are able to produce characters(due to the lack of required shield skill) that are exceedingly fast and strong compared to a 1h/shield. Further more to dump even more unbalance to this, the str requirements for armor are so low that these roid enhanced meth pole/2h can wear very heavy armors. Even with the wpf effect a 1h/shield is required to wear armor nearly 10 kg lighter just to be able to keep up in athletics and swing speeds.

So, please review this problem if there is one.

On a further note, 1h are more capable of glancing and getting stuck on objects rather than their 2h and pol counterparts. Shouldnt this be the other way around, especially when facehugging.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:08:42 am by Spa_geh_tea »

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
Re: Please review 1h shield to pol and 2h counterparts.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 05:19:39 am »
+1
I do not see a problem.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 06:44:59 am »
Please stop posting about "speed" issues.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 07:36:02 am »
So, please review this problem if there is one..
There is none.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 08:00:45 am »
+1
Michael stop posting from alt accounts!

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 08:43:25 am »
+1
There is no problem, except sometimes blade go through shield, which doesn't happen with a block from a blade (retarded).
Except that game mechanics fail, it is completely balanced, no need to argue, you need to train.

You could argue that shield are not so usefull against ranged, it slows you down and doesn't protect you very well, it is sometimes easier to dodge without shield.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 08:48:58 am by Blondin »

Offline Nagasoup

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Donkey
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 09:23:26 am »
But you get to have a SHIELD. I respecced 1h/shield last gen and loved it, and I'm going 1h this gen again. The problem is a lot of shielders try to play agressively like 2h and polearm, which is something the build is not meant for.

The shielder is a team player, do not aim solely for kills, but support your teammates. Remember, your shield is an effective weapon in team battles too. You do not always have to attack to help out your team, simply facehugging while blocking is very powerful when you have a teammate helping you.

When you fight, play defensively. You don't always have to match your opponents swings hit for hit - don't let go of your block simply because you just blocked your opponents previous attack. Swing ONLY if you are guaranteed not to be hit, through timing and footwork. Have patience!

Shielders have AMAZING survivalbility, provided that you constantly keep up your situational awareness. A shielder can survive being outnumbered and surrounded much easier than a 2h/pole. When confronted with an angry spammer or a mob of angry spammers, don't be afraid to turtle up and retreat, causing the enemy to teamhit each other while you wait for your team to reinforce you.

The reason 2h/pole seem to be better than 1h is because its easier to get kills with them as a newer/noobier player, and generally, that composes most of the players in a given server. However, a good 1h shielder can do just as well as a good 2h/pole. 1h is not worse, just harder to master.

tl;dr - LEARN TO PLAY  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:30:29 am by Nagasoup »

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 09:40:01 am »
left to right swing is your bread and butter, thats what gets you kills most of the time

Offline Elmokki

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: United democratic national whatever
  • Game nicks: elmokki_Krokotiili
  • IRC nick: Elmokki
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 12:28:31 pm »
Shield saves you from projectiles. It's a huge boon as long as the polearm/2h-lobbyist army doesn't nerf ranged (which in general is currently not in any way overpowered) to ground. 1h also has very impressive selection of weapons for different situations (even if I generally only use one weapon :D)

I went 1h+shield from a polearm char and I really don't regret.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 01:32:38 pm »
+2
Shield saves you from projectiles. It's a huge boon as long as the polearm/2h-lobbyist army doesn't nerf ranged (which in general is currently not in any way overpowered) to ground. 1h also has very impressive selection of weapons for different situations (even if I generally only use one weapon :D)

I went 1h+shield from a polearm char and I really don't regret.

No shields DONT save you from projectiles as often as you'd think.  When other classes like 2h/ranged would dodge, shielders hold course THINKING their shield will protect them...and thats only true about 75% of the time.  Its not difficult for the veteran archers to sneak shit past shields.  I use a heavy round (2nd biggest shield in game) w/5 skill and routinely get hit by archers I'm facing in my frontal 90 degree arc

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 04:10:32 pm »
+1
No shields DONT save you from projectiles as often as you'd think.  When other classes like 2h/ranged would dodge, shielders hold course THINKING their shield will protect them...and thats only true about 75% of the time.  Its not difficult for the veteran archers to sneak shit past shields.  I use a heavy round (2nd biggest shield in game) w/5 skill and routinely get hit by archers I'm facing in my frontal 90 degree arc

I can confirm this! I rage quit shielder cuz even with 5 shield skill i got headshot 2 times trough my heavy kyte shield and slashes/shot around it multiple time even with other and bigger shields too.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 04:15:38 pm »
You people are just bad. I rarely got headshotted or hit around the shield with my 5 shield skill and Elite Cavalry Shield (which is a very small shield).

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 05:36:22 pm »
+2
You people are just bad. I rarely got headshotted or hit around the shield with my 5 shield skill and Elite Cavalry Shield (which is a very small shield).

Meh, happened to me yesterday. Archer on a slight slope, I'm advancing holding my shield high (looking up so my face is protected and feet exposed) and I got headshotted by him.
I got laughed at for 10 minutes in TS for being one of 2 shielders on the map and I still got killed by an archer.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 05:40:48 pm »
+2
Apparently not only are The Fallen the best archers, but we are the best at using shields at the proper angles to not get shot.

I guess all those times when we practice against ourselves pay off!

Or we use hax.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 11:33:48 pm »
+1
Only problem I have is movement. Shielders move way too slow.

If I'm being 2v1d against shielders, they can't even facehug me since my backpedal/sidestep will get them out of range almost every time, and their damage is usually bad enough to not even worry about them since most shielders are agi instead of stacking strength like they should.

Otherwise, it's alright I guess. I hate projectiles hitting around my knightly heater all day long, but I guess that's the negative of the shield. An archer 30 degrees off of my front will be able to hit me, so even turning slightly to my left or right is dangerous. I could use the larger shields, but they're way too slow, so I accept this overall.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 11:36:21 pm by san. »