Author Topic: Please review 1h shield to pol and 2h counterparts.  (Read 4445 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Please review 1h shield to pol and 2h counterparts.
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2011, 03:01:34 pm »
+2
May I ask a question? What does shield skill do actually? I know it increases the coverage and reduce the damage taken. It's alsoa prerequisite for most of the shields too. But does it increase the shield speed? Maybe doing so, could be nice.

I started to play as a shielder as my main, I am around 23 level so I guess it is ok for me to got beaten by 2handers like Phyrex. But when I challenged phyrex in one on one I managed to hit him twice for at least every encounter, and died with a single swing which is pretty unavoidable with those crazy spams. Actually I find it harder to block with shield than normal blocking. It requires very careful timing, and when you try to face with a 2hander who is experienced at offense power and knows what he's doing you can not simply do much as him in 1vs1. Yeah it is agreed a shielder shouldn't have the same aggresive power as a two hander, but I wouldn't call the shielder has more defensive power than a 2hander too (faster movement and heavier armor). Also when something requires much more concentration than it's counterparts I wouldn't call it balanced.

At least that's my experiences now, and I don't call my thoughts completed yet. I don't want to be criticized harshly since you guys are the "game is balanced" idiom, but can you say that are these only because I'm level 23? To say what my stats are: 17 STR 15 AGI / and I was planning to pump STR from now on (just as in the zagibu's offensive shielder guide). Now I am doubtful, It seems like my movement speed is frustrating. Attack speed too.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:06:42 pm by Ronin »
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2011, 03:52:26 pm »
It´s only my taste but i dont like 15 agi.
I dont like it as shielder and i dont like it as 2H.
But its my personal style. Most people will tell you
that STR is the way to go. Just try it out and decide on 30 if you
like it or not. You will probably retire so you can adjust your build
then.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2011, 12:55:07 am »
+1
May I ask a question? What does shield skill do actually? I know it increases the coverage and reduce the damage taken. It's alsoa prerequisite for most of the shields too. But does it increase the shield speed? Maybe doing so, could be nice.

I started to play as a shielder as my main, I am around 23 level so I guess it is ok for me to got beaten by 2handers like Phyrex. But when I challenged phyrex in one on one I managed to hit him twice for at least every encounter, and died with a single swing which is pretty unavoidable with those crazy spams. Actually I find it harder to block with shield than normal blocking. It requires very careful timing, and when you try to face with a 2hander who is experienced at offense power and knows what he's doing you can not simply do much as him in 1vs1. Yeah it is agreed a shielder shouldn't have the same aggresive power as a two hander, but I wouldn't call the shielder has more defensive power than a 2hander too (faster movement and heavier armor). Also when something requires much more concentration than it's counterparts I wouldn't call it balanced.

At least that's my experiences now, and I don't call my thoughts completed yet. I don't want to be criticized harshly since you guys are the "game is balanced" idiom, but can you say that are these only because I'm level 23? To say what my stats are: 17 STR 15 AGI / and I was planning to pump STR from now on (just as in the zagibu's offensive shielder guide). Now I am doubtful, It seems like my movement speed is frustrating. Attack speed too.

First off, +1 for the Guybrush avatar.

Shield skill increases coverage, reduces damage to the shield and increases shield speed.

There's a big difference between manual blocking and blocking with a shield. Manual blocking is pretty much instantaneous, blocking with a shield IS NOT unless you are using a 100 speed shield. You can tap blocks with a 100 speed shield. This also accounts for some instances of getting hit through your shield. You shield looks up, but it actually isn't. With a 100 speed shield your shield is actually blocking before it is fully raised.

Blocking with a shield IS easier than blocking without. As long as you watch your facing, you are fine. That being said, I actually prefer 1-handers without the shield. You are hilariously fast and can easily dart in and out of the range of the 2-hander. You just have to watch for weapon stun. One thing that does put 1-handers at a disadvantage is hilt-slashing. It's possible with a 2-hander and impossible with a 1-hander. I've had many 2-handers try to facehug me for that reason.

As far as builds go, I still think that balanced builds are best for 1-handers. 15/21, 18/18, 21/15, 18/21

Strength builds are a waste for 1-handers unless you're level 33 or something. 1-handers and PS doesn't scale well due to the low initial damage of 1-handers. A 1-hander also needs good maneuverability and a decent shield.

Anyway, don't get discouraged when fighting 2-handers. Once you get your timing and footwork down you can wreck most of them pretty easily. They may have damage and reach, but you have speed, perfect blocking and a left-slash that almost always hits the head. Not too shabby if you ask me.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2011, 01:15:40 am »
Anyway, don't get discouraged when fighting 2-handers. Once you get your timing and footwork down you can wreck most of them pretty easily. They may have damage and reach, but you have speed, perfect blocking and a left-slash that almost always hits the head. Not too shabby if you ask me.

There's also a trick to knowing what kind of 2h player you're fighting.  Many backpeddle and are generally irritating.  Many hug for hiltslashes while looking down, and almost invariably fail to block overhead attacks.  This kind of thing is a matter of practice though, and only ever adds depth to the game over time.

Somebody should make an intro-guide about play-styles for each class.  That would be really helpful to a lot of people.

Offline Nagasoup

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Donkey
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2011, 03:35:34 am »
There's also a trick to knowing what kind of 2h player you're fighting.  Many backpeddle and are generally irritating.  Many hug for hiltslashes while looking down, and almost invariably fail to block overhead attacks.  This kind of thing is a matter of practice though, and only ever adds depth to the game over time.

Somebody should make an intro-guide about play-styles for each class.  That would be really helpful to a lot of people.

Yes, I find that knowing your enemy is very important as a 1h player, as you are almost always outranged and outdamaged, and choosing the wrong time and direction to attack can get you killed very quickly.

I find myself choosing two playstyles depending on the person I'm fighting.

One is facehugging using mainly left attacks on their head, and throwing in the occasional up attack, while feinting to throw them off.

The other is to mainly use the longer right swing and thrust, combined with timing to outrange my opponent.

Against good duelists though, you have to mix it up a bit.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2011, 09:25:34 am »
Some body post a video of keen thorn going all bubonic on a server. That man had chocolate chip cookie like efficiency when it came to killing.

Also shielder is broken in to 2 sub class. Offensive, defensive. If you don't like how fast you are moving, ditch your armor back a notch, go 15/24 and use a lighter shield.

You can't be everything! That is the point of this mod. If you wish to be an unstoppable kill bot go play native.

You should go read the shielder guides. There are some very good ones.

To sum my point up into one sentence.

You are doing it wrong.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2011, 11:04:41 am »
I actually prefer 1-handers without the shield. You are hilariously fast and can easily dart in and out of the range of the 2-hander.

As far as builds go, I still think that balanced builds are best for 1-handers. 15/21, 18/18, 21/15, 18/21

I agree with the above, but I want to place a small side note:
darting in and out of range of a 2h (usually at 21/18 or 18/21 builds) with a 21/15 build is pretty much impossible.
Using the 21/15 build it takes all my effort to keep up with the side-swinging, hilt-slashing fighting style of GTX and co. They usually manage to hit me again after my block, eventhough I attack back with a left-right swing with them standing on my left hand side.
There's no chance in the world I can dart in and out of range against them.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2011, 12:00:24 pm »
darting in and out of range of a 2h (usually at 21/18 or 18/21 builds) with a 21/15 build is pretty much impossible.
Using the 21/15 build it takes all my effort to keep up with the side-swinging, hilt-slashing fighting style of GTX and co. They usually manage to hit me again after my block, eventhough I attack back with a left-right swing with them standing on my left hand side.
Solution would be lvl35 and 15/27 ;)

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2011, 12:08:44 pm »
Solution would be lvl35 and 15/27 ;)

Meh, 5 PS doesn't hurt that much. I'd make it 21/21 myself :)

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2011, 03:34:30 pm »
The fun part comes when you DO hit them first, but glance since 1h has a huge penalty to damage (and lower damage by default) for hitting early in the animation.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2011, 04:20:57 pm »

I do alright with 15 AGI.  I carry 13.1kg of equipment and can often outspeed more heavily armoured 2handers.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2011, 10:07:08 pm »
That's nearly no armour whatsoever.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2011, 10:18:53 pm »

Why would you want to wear a bunch of armor as a shielder? :s

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2011, 10:19:45 pm »
Teammates love nothing more than slashing shielders in the back, that's why.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2011, 01:07:55 am »
+3

29 armour babe, s'how we do it in the big T O (that's Toronto, Canada)

I realized, after giving up my Warhammer, that the most fun way to play cRPG is to fight.  Not to get kills, or to support, but to fight people.  I also realized that it's a nice challenge to run in medium armour because it forces me to be far more aware of the battle in general.  Right now, when I join a fight, I feel like I'm actually fighting in a battle: I need to watch out for my team, since I know I can't carry them with my light build, I need to kill enemy, since I'm a good team player insofar as I try to do everything I can without help, and I'm careful, because I try to be an important part of something bigger than me.  Lighter armour has made cRPG gameplay much more dynamic than I believed it could be, and I now see why it's a common progression for so many players.

Also, light armour is sexy :D