Author Topic: Remove ladders from Siege  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
Remove ladders from Siege
« on: October 27, 2011, 03:44:28 am »
I've been playing some Native multiplayer recently (for the first time, as a matter of fact) and I really loved playing siege without ladders.  There seemed to be generally more entrances into castles in Native maps, as a consequence, but the absence of deployable ladders was a salient and enjoyable feature.  Instead of expecting every choke point to be trivially avoided by ladders, the defenders more easily coordinated - without chat - to defend castles.  Even when playing with <50 players on a server, the defenders and attackers seemed to have an even rate of winning maps.  On cRPG siege servers, in my limited experience, <60 players mean defenders have a far greater chance of losing on any map.

But I want to know what you think.  Please, if you can, play a few rounds on Native siege for comparison before commenting.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: Remove ladders from Siege
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 04:44:16 am »
+1
I'd rather there be NO map ladders, ladders taking more slots, slower to deploy & attacker spawn slower~

Offline Erathsmus

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
  • My w finger hurts.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Imperium
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 04:49:34 am »
I do agree that Ladders do make attacking much more easier than it should be at times. But I do like the idea of battles being dynamic.

I do not think ladders should be removed, I think defenders should be able to place ladder barricades to compensate for these ladder inbalances.

I know that this doesn't fully solve the problem, but still...I enjoy a different experience every now and then.
Slow and steady wins the race...Unless there is a fast person in it.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 11:11:28 am »
In native great maul are far less common and long mauls dotn exist, hence why holding shoke points occurs much less.
Turtles

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 05:45:34 pm »
Siege without ladders would suck :O

But as suggested a couple of times the amount of ladders should be limited to a very small number, maybe 4 ladders per team or something

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 05:53:12 pm »
+1
The whole argument about dynamics.. people figure the best places for ladders and instead of a 'dynamic' map you have a terribly imbalanced one. But I do not play a lot of seige.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 06:08:41 pm »
+1
My comment about choke points was actually about how, in Native, choke points are more easily held by more defenders.  Without the possibility of every flat surface being scaled defenders are much more common-sensical about where they position themselves.  Additionally, as a happy byproduct, many maps are more streamlined because player tactics become somewhat more predictable.

One of my favourite non-Native siege maps is the wooden castle by the sea (the one that has some fires, a broken gate, and a huge facing wall).  It's cooercive enough for attackers that ladder placement is very specific and, unless the need is dire, optional.  I like it because it has lots of routes around the interior buildings and walls and lots of little aesthetic perks.  What I find holds the map back, though, is that defenders can't leave the interior keep without significantly burdening the defenders on the wall.  Because the facing wall must always be guarded against ladders, there are frankly too few players allowed into the main areas of the town to make it a good scrimming area.  Though there are the occasional Rambos, the zone is, in effect, relegated to being scenery.

Offline Grok

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Grok, Queequeg
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 06:51:54 pm »
+1
I'd agree.  Ladders seem to provide far too much of an advantage to the attacking side.  Being able to get to the flag in just a matter of seconds is really no fun on either side. 

And, as much as defending the flag makes perfect sense strategically, it's definitely more fun to defend the walls, then fall back and defend a gate and to eventually have to fall back to the flag in a final scrum.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 05:28:08 am »
I'm bumping this for more opinions.  It would really alter siege in a potentially cool way.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 12:49:45 pm »
+1
We need map statistics first. Then they can remove the ladders for 1 week and compare the statistics to what they were before. Then decide which is better.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 03:52:31 pm »
Shorten the spawn time on defenders, they have to make the trek to the flag anyway.

If the spawn time was shorter, ladders would play a larger part, but balances out the fact that the defenders have to be everywhere at once.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 05:01:10 pm »
Allow ladders to be pushed down (dealing fall damage to the units on them), and damaging the ladders health... it should take about half of the time it takes for an attacker to climb the ladder for a defender to push it down... (already placed ladders should also be removed, instead there should be 1-5 equipable ladders in the siege camp that respawns 5sec after their previus version was destroyed...
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 05:19:38 pm »
We need map statistics first. Then they can remove the ladders for 1 week and compare the statistics to what they were before. Then decide which is better.

What kind of stats?  Win/Loss?

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 09:02:22 pm »
+1
What kind of stats?  Win/Loss?

Yes, to see how imbalanced offense is

Something like this

http://steampowered.com/status/tf2/tf2_stats.php

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 02:07:07 am »
Yes, this would help a lot. Make a pre-change and a post-change comparison, then decide if ladders stay in or not. Two weeks should be enough to collect the data, I think. Maybe three.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?